The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pedrobear
I can't tell if you mean that in a "I know and like them, what's the problem?" way... haha. Uhh, 'hatred' is an exaggeration. More like indifference. We just aren't on the same wavelength at all, and the one dude that I did get along well with seems to have completely disappeared. It's not really much of an issue however, since I'm barely ever in. Have you enjoyed Kincaids?

I don't think I know anyone in flat 3, actually. There's quite a few folk I've met from block 4 who I seriously dislike, though. :rolleyes: Sorry to hear that, though! I'm enjoying Kincaids, yeah. Apart from aforementioned *****. :yes: One of my flatmates dropped out after Christmas which was a bit gutting, but ah well.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by truthandtragedy
One of my flatmates dropped out after Christmas which was a bit gutting, but ah well.

When one of my flatmates dropped out after Christmas in first year it was a relief - such a crazy. And as another flatmate of that era who still is a flatmate said, he became something of an anecdotal urban myth for us. Sadly I can sympathise with pedrobear; I found the people I came across in first year accommodation to be a bit of a let down.
Reply 82
Original post by oxymoronic
They all did when we were first years!

Do you know if none of them do or if its only certain flats? Then the OP can be updated... as obviously, given we're all higher years/graduates, we don't have access to the university accommodation so rely on our own experiences and the current first years to correct information that has now changed :smile:

Nope, there is a space where it looks like it must have been though.

Darroch kitchen isn't too great tbh, not enough storage and we seem to be the only building without any soft seats. We just have some really strange stools meant for midgets.

So, yeah, if you've been told Darroch is brilliant, don't get too downbeat if you don't get offered a place there. It's pretty much the same as any other self-catered block.
Reply 83
Looking for a flat now for second year (oh, how time flies... I remember posting here about moving into Pollock). Anyway, we found this flat we like, but it's rented by Grant Management, who I've heard mixed things about. Are they an all right company or best avoided, in people's experience?
Original post by Rosie0914

Looking for a flat now for second year (oh, how time flies... I remember posting here about moving into Pollock). Anyway, we found this flat we like, but it's rented by Grant Management, who I've heard mixed things about. Are they an all right company or best avoided, in people's experience?

My personal opinion is that I have enough friends who have had problems with them that I wouldn't touch them, regardless of how good the flat happened to be. NHI will shoot me down and say that I shouldn't be so biased/leading in my opinions, but there we go.

Student has a lot of articles about them as its regular moan of students although obviously, Student is in it for the horror stories and wouldn't report on anything positive or nice. There are more than likely people who have a perfectly pleasant experience of renting with them and its the luck of the draw, like with any rental.... but I personally wouldn't, just because I know of enough people who've had problems (as opposed to "oh yeah, I heard of this guy who was my best friends brothers cousins flatmates next door neighbour who had issues" sort of rumour stories) whereas I haven't heard the same thing about other rental companies.
Nah, Grant Management are pretty poor. I'd steer clear. I was going to say they were crooks, but realised that would be libellous..
Original post by un-besito
Am I right in thinking that you cannot live in self-catered accommodation and have an en-suite in your room? This seems odd, but that is what I've gathered from this:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/new-prospective/undergraduate/ug-self-catered

The only self-catered with en-suites are in Morgan Court. That is where I am :smile:
Reply 87

They have a deservedly bad reputation. As long as nothing goes wrong, then you should be fine. If anything breaks, or worse, then you will be stuck for ages waiting for it to be dealt with. They are also quite bad for keeping deposits for no good reason.

I would recommend trying for a private landlord - I've had two since first year, and it helped. Things get dealt with quickly, because you don't have to go through an intermediary.
Original post by megan____

Original post by megan____
Nope, there is a space where it looks like it must have been though.

Darroch kitchen isn't too great tbh, not enough storage and we seem to be the only building without any soft seats. We just have some really strange stools meant for midgets.

So, yeah, if you've been told Darroch is brilliant, don't get too downbeat if you don't get offered a place there. It's pretty much the same as any other self-catered block.

I always thought the kitchen stools were rather odd! My opinion on TSR has always been that yes, for some reason its considered to be the best s/c accommodation but beyond the fact you get a washing machine in your kitchen, it isn't anything special. But if you no longer even get that then what is the extra rental money even for?? The Darroch flats I went to did have better bathrooms though as they had two shower rooms to a 5 bed flat whereas where I lived had a bathroom then separate toilet, and they'd been recently refurbished whereas mine was old. They also had beds which could convert to a double which would have been nice.... although now its probably the case that the bathrooms elsewhere have been redone too as I was living there 5 years ago now. Our kitchen was upgraded when we lived there and they had to buy us a microwave (we didn't have one before) so that we could cook in the hall way for a few days whilst the builders were in!
Reply 89
Original post by paddyraggy1993
The only self-catered with en-suites are in Morgan Court. That is where I am :smile:

Are you a 1st year?
Original post by paddyraggy1993

Oh okay, I don't remember coming across Morgan Court when I was looking at accommodation. I'll have a look now - thank you! :smile:

Oh okay, I don't remember coming across Morgan Court when I was looking at accommodation. I'll have a look now - thank you! :smile:

Original post by thatteapot
Are you a 1st year?

As far as I'm aware, it is normally postgraduate only which is why it isn't actually advertised as a first year option. However, due to the fact they guarantee accommodation to everyone they altered some of the postgrad/undergrad accommodation this year to make the numbers match meaning the freshers ended up in what was normally reserved for postgraduates.
Original post by thatteapot
Are you a 1st year?

Yup :smile:
Reply 93
Hi! I received a conditional offer from the University of Edinburgh (Msc Economics), to start in September 2011. I´m having some problems and need to get some answers, so I found this forum and I am very satisfied with it. It helped me on some issues already!

I´m gonna try to put numbers on my questions so that it is easier for those who try to answer (thanks in advance):

The first question is very important and it is about accomodation. I am applying for post-grad studies, and it seems to be on a first come - first served basis. I study Economics in Portugal, and the academic year ends VERY late: I will know my final grades by mid-July, but will only be able to supply oficial evidence (transcript and full certificate) by mid-August (probably). On the Accomodation Services it says that the offer needs to be unconditional by July 31, so I am very worried about this situation. My questions are:

1) Will my application be considered even if I can´t officially confirm that I have met the conditional offer (grade of 14 out of 20) by July 31? Or will I automatically be excluded from accomodation if I don´t send evidence till July 31? All I can do by that week is just send something written by me telling them about all the grades and that I expect the certificate to be issued in two weeks or so! Will that dramatically reduce my chances of getting accomodation or simply reduce them to zero?

2) The Accomodation Services Website says that applications for post-grad accomodation start in "February". Theres an online form open but it says "2010-2011 application". Are applications open for September 2011 entry somewhere, or will I have to wait?

3) Is there any specific accomodation for post-grad students or some places that are known for housing mostly post-grad students?

4) If the issue on question 1) isn´t that problematic, what would be the odds of a portuguese post-grad student getting university accomodation in September? I have read that there is no guarantee of a place.

I think I have some more questions about other issues, but those 4 are the most important right now.

Thanks in advance for any reply and I hope to see you in September 2011!
Reply 94
Hey!
I have applied for two courses: Software Engineering and SE with Management. My girlfriend applied for Business Studies and BS with Economics. We are very enthusiastic about this moving to Edinburgh idea and we are looking forward to do so. We want to opt for private accommodation here in Edinburgh. However, we have certain questions regarding this type of accommodation.

Firstly, from your experience or from what you've heard, is it probable that once with the beginning of September almost all the good apartments available will be taken by other students? To avoid this, is it possible to book the apartment I'm interested in and come to Edinburgh 1-2 weeks earlier?

Secondly, as I've told you, me and my girlfriend want to live together. Let's take a look at this apartment.

http://www.citylets.co.uk/property-rent/newington-moncrieff-terrace-eh9-168805/

It is a studio apartment and it has one double bedroom. Therefore, it is okay for me and my girlfriend to split the rent in half?
Another questioning aspect is the deposit. From what I have read it is used as an insurance fund. However, if we cause no damage at all, it is refundable after a certain amount of time?
And now, about the council tax. It says in the posting that the flat presents Council Tax Band C. What does this actually mean? Do we have to pay this council tax, or the owner of the apartment, and in what circumstances?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
With respect,
Alin.
Original post by Aliniuz

Firstly, from your experience or from what you've heard, is it probable that once with the beginning of September almost all the good apartments available will be taken by other students? To avoid this, is it possible to book the apartment I'm interested in and come to Edinburgh 1-2 weeks earlier?

You will be cutting it fine looking for somewhere to live in late August or early September. And anywhere you find earlier than that won't hold the property for you if it's already empty because they can't afford to. August is festival season which means it's not a great time to be flathunting.

Original post by Aliniuz
Secondly, as I've told you, me and my girlfriend want to live together. Let's take a look at this apartment.

http://www.citylets.co.uk/property-rent/newington-moncrieff-terrace-eh9-168805/

It is a studio apartment and it has one double bedroom. Therefore, it is okay for me and my girlfriend to split the rent in half?

Yes. But I wouldn't want to live there with two people - it's tiny! You'll need to stretch your budget (ideally).

Original post by Aliniuz
Another questioning aspect is the deposit. From what I have read it is used as an insurance fund. However, if we cause no damage at all, it is refundable after a certain amount of time?

The deposit is returned at the end of your tenancy. You will also need an insurance policy.

Original post by Aliniuz
And now, about the council tax. It says in the posting that the flat presents Council Tax Band C. What does this actually mean? Do we have to pay this council tax, or the owner of the apartment, and in what circumstances?

Council tax is not payable (as discussed in post #2) if you are both students. However, it is up to you to inform the council of this. Council tax becomes payable if even one of you stops being a student. Rate C is slightly over £1000/annually.

If I were you I would take advantage of the university's guaranteed accommodation for first years.
Reply 96
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
You will be cutting it fine looking for somewhere to live in late August or early September. And anywhere you find earlier than that won't hold the property for you if it's already empty because they can't afford to. August is festival season which means it's not a great time to be flathunting.

Yes. But I wouldn't want to live there with two people - it's tiny! You'll need to stretch your budget (ideally).

The deposit is returned at the end of your tenancy. You will also need an insurance policy.

Council tax is not payable (as discussed in post #2) if you are both students. However, it is up to you to inform the council of this. Council tax becomes payable if even one of you stops being a student. Rate C is slightly over £1000/annually.

If I were you I would take advantage of the university's guaranteed accommodation for first years.

Thank you for your answers.

So basically, what is the best time to start flathunting? If I begin searching for a flat let's say on 28th August I would have better chances of finding something really nice available?

Regarding the university's accommodation, I find it pretty expensive. From what I've seen, I think I could get something much nicer and less expensive by going with the private accommodation. Don't you think so?
Original post by Aliniuz

So basically, what is the best time to start flathunting? If I begin searching for a flat let's say on 28th August I would have better chances of finding something really nice available?

You're really cutting it very fine -of course you'll find somewhere if you start looking then, but the pressure is going to be on and you'll feel pressured into compromising for the first decent thing you come across.

Original post by Aliniuz
Regarding the university's accommodation, I find it pretty expensive. From what I've seen, I think I could get something much nicer and less expensive by going with the private accommodation. Don't you think so?

The university's accommodation is reasonably pricey, but it is all-inclusive of bills, internet etc - and most importantly you can have it all sorted out from abroad and just arrive on the agreed date. The cost of living in Edinburgh is high wherever you go. By using the university's accommodation in first year you'll get a chance to know the city and you'll be able to look for somewhere to live in second year whilst in situ. Another point that should be raised is whether you've ever lived with your girlfriend before. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable moving abroad to live with someone I'd never lived with before.
Reply 98
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
You're really cutting it very fine -of course you'll find somewhere if you start looking then, but the pressure is going to be on and you'll feel pressured into compromising for the first decent thing you come across.

The university's accommodation is reasonably pricey, but it is all-inclusive of bills, internet etc - and most importantly you can have it all sorted out from abroad and just arrive on the agreed date. The cost of living in Edinburgh is high wherever you go. By using the university's accommodation in first year you'll get a chance to know the city and you'll be able to look for somewhere to live in second year whilst in situ. Another point that should be raised is whether you've ever lived with your girlfriend before. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable moving abroad to live with someone I'd never lived with before.

Yes, we have lived together for several weeks altogether, and we are getting along pretty amazing. We have a wonderful chemistry, especially when we live together. We both feel extremely comfortable with the idea of living together and we wouldn't consider other option. :smile:

And I really think that by living together we will end up saving a lot of money we would have spent by living apart in the university accommodation.

I am glad to know that is somewhat safe to start looking for an apartment on the end of August - early September. I have done some research and I reached the conclusion that the best area for us to live in is the Newington area. It is really close to the university and it has a wide range of pubs, restaurants, shops and so on. :smile: I am wondering, do you know if it's possible to postpone the payment of the deposit with one or two months?

If not, and we find an available and a really nice flat at, let's say, 600 pounds, which amount of money would you say it would be a minimum requirement for us to have in the first couple of months, considering all the food and minimum living expenses, in order to live in Edinburgh?
Original post by Aliniuz
I am glad to know that is somewhat safe to start looking for an apartment on the end of August - early September.

Sorry, my fault for not being clearer - I think you will struggle to find somewhere that late before the start of term that you like. I would definitely be looking earlier - because everyday you don't find somewhere to live is a day you spend paying to stay in a hostel/hotel.

Original post by Aliniuz
I am wondering, do you know if it's possible to postpone the payment of the deposit with one or two months?

No.

Original post by Aliniuz
If not, and we find an available and a really nice flat at, let's say, 600 pounds, which amount of money would you say it would be a minimum requirement for us to have in the first couple of months, considering all the food and minimum living expenses, in order to live in Edinburgh?

If a flat costs 600pcm (per calendar month) then you will typically pay deposit+first month's rent+fees on your move-in date. For the sake of argument the deposit is one month's rent plus £100 = £700. Payable upon moving in will be £600+£700+~£100 (fees). Throw in another month's rent and you've hit £2000. Once you add in bills, food and general start up costs associated with moving in anywhere - I'd say you want to budget to have ~£3000 available for your first couple of months. You won't spend it all, but you should have it available.

Latest

Trending

Trending