The Student Room Group

Official TSR Accounting and Finance Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Hi - if you need any information about the ACCA Qualification, please feel free to message me, I am the official ACCA Representative on here. You can also check out our profile page for latest finance and industry news that you might find interesting.
Thanks,
Laura
Reply 381
can anyone tell me how the course of accounting and finance is at university of liverpool and lancaster university?
Reply 382
In Auditing Standard "External Confirmation" , I need to get understanding in what circumstances positive and negative confirmation is used by auditor simultaneously.Please give examples or any practical experience.
I need help

1) What is the difference between an 'Accounting' 3 years BA Hons degree & a 1 year foundation degree of Accountancy & Finance...any major difference & what's the best one? (I suspect the first?)

I'm taking A levels at the moment, just finished Year 12 at 6th form! So will start applying this coming academic year after this six week break :wink:

Just want to get some general info on the accountancy course? Is it advised I take Maths & Law into my 2nd year as well as my first to get a full A level in them?

I can't wait to do this at either Northumbria/Sunderland (need BBB at Northumbria & BBC at Sunderland...both highly achievable!)

I see accountancy degree is a fantastic degree & great experience...I'm only taking it due to the obvious financial security you can gain and the relevance to maths it has (which I'm superb at -- maths I mean)

please answer, thank you :smile:
Original post by accountant-future
I need help

1) What is the difference between an 'Accounting' 3 years BA Hons degree & a 1 year foundation degree of Accountancy & Finance...any major difference & what's the best one? (I suspect the first?)

I'm taking A levels at the moment, just finished Year 12 at 6th form! So will start applying this coming academic year after this six week break :wink:

Just want to get some general info on the accountancy course? Is it advised I take Maths & Law into my 2nd year as well as my first to get a full A level in them?

I can't wait to do this at either Northumbria/Sunderland (need BBB at Northumbria & BBC at Sunderland...both highly achievable!)

I see accountancy degree is a fantastic degree & great experience...I'm only taking it due to the obvious financial security you can gain and the relevance to maths it has (which I'm superb at -- maths I mean)

well i've just finished my second year of BA Hons Accounting, and if i was you I would do the 3 yr Acounting degree, because if you wish to become an Accountant you would only require to undertake five of the ACCA exams, given that this degree will exempt you from 9 papers. However this may vary, so i would look up and see how many exemptions you will get from the uni you wish to apply to. and just a quick question, why are you considering doing foundation in A&F?
I need help

Where are you looking? You may not have that much Maths in your course. I did very basic stats and some GCSE level stuff; only in my Masters course have I been expected to do more advanced statistics and so on.

Contrary to popular belief, there isn't a huge amount of Maths involved. If you can use a calculator you're most of the way there. I'm awful at maths :colondollar: If you want to do Maths, I'd suggest doing a Mathematics degree and then an accountancy qualification (e.g. CIMA/ACCA). I've also seen 'Financial Mathematics' courses (and you can probably do innumerable combinations of joint honours).
Original post by Ice_Queen
Where are you looking? You may not have that much Maths in your course. I did very basic stats and some GCSE level stuff; only in my Masters course have I been expected to do more advanced statistics and so on.

Contrary to popular belief, there isn't a huge amount of Maths involved. If you can use a calculator you're most of the way there. I'm awful at maths :colondollar: If you want to do Maths, I'd suggest doing a Mathematics degree and then an accountancy qualification (e.g. CIMA/ACCA). I've also seen 'Financial Mathematics' courses (and you can probably do innumerable combinations of joint honours).

Northumbria university is the place I'm looking at primarily!

I am well aware that there isn't much mathematics in an accounting degree -- the maths that is involved though is numbers, my fave kind of maths.

That is the reason i don't want to do a maths degree...a maths degree will contain letters (algebra) and ridiculous formulations that will make physicits explode!

Do you think I should mention (in a personal statement) the fact I got a B in GCSE Business Studies? I know it's only GCSE but I do imagine Business is another thing associated with accountancy?

Business
Law
Maths

Them 3 surely make the most of the degree?
Northumbria university is the place I'm looking at primarily!

I am well aware that there isn't much mathematics in an accounting degree -- the maths that is involved though is numbers, my fave kind of maths.

That is the reason i don't want to do a maths degree...a maths degree will contain letters (algebra) and ridiculous formulations that will make physicits explode!

Do you think I should mention (in a personal statement) the fact I got a B in GCSE Business Studies? I know it's only GCSE but I do imagine Business is another thing associated with accountancy?

Business
Law
Maths

Them 3 surely make the most of the degree?

The maths involved is adding up :dontknow: You might have to do stats, which is definitely algebra (I'm awful at it), so check the modules. If it's a third year module it may get complicated.

Nope, all that information will be elsewhere in your UCAS, so you don't need to mention any qualifications in your PS. Remember to use the PS Wiki and PS Help service :smile:
Original post by Ice_Queen
The maths involved is adding up :dontknow: You might have to do stats, which is definitely algebra (I'm awful at it), so check the modules. If it's a third year module it may get complicated.

Nope, all that information will be elsewhere in your UCAS, so you don't need to mention any qualifications in your PS. Remember to use the PS Wiki and PS Help service :smile:

Good! Adding, subtracting, division and multiplying -- the way maths should be :wink:

I'm decent at algebra, not a fan of it though!

Ahhh right, so don't write it in the Personal Statement...I just had a look at the wiki there -- very helpful :smile: but am I right in just thinking that accountancy is mainly built around Business; Maths & Law
Good! Adding, subtracting, division and multiplying -- the way maths should be :wink:

I'm decent at algebra, not a fan of it though!

Ahhh right, so don't write it in the Personal Statement...I just had a look at the wiki there -- very helpful :smile: but am I right in just thinking that accountancy is mainly built around Business; Maths & Law

It's not maths then :p: That's just counting.

Accountancy has elements of business, maths and Law, but you may not need to study all of them. A lot of accountancy study is whal you could call law; learning the templates accountants use to show information (have a look at an annual report and you'll see what I mean) and 'first principles' which is what accountants base all work on (and use if they don't know what to do :p: We make a lot of stuff up...).

Finance may also crop up in your studies (as well as corporate finance), and that will be where the maths really comes in. I use maths in financial markets (valuation of options, calculating CAPM and cost of capital, etc.).

Have a look at your modules in the course. If you really want, you can send them to me and I will try and give you a run down of what they may involve :smile:
Ahhh right, I am starting to get the picture now

Well, the modules at Northumbria uni are:

Year 1

BM0118 - Data Analysis Techniques (CORE, 20 Credits)

FN0137 - Financial Environments and Markets (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0146 - Directors, Shareholders and Rewards (CORE, 20 Credits)

HR0154 - Management (CORE, 20 Credits)

SM0117 - Business Organisation (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0135 - Financial Decisions and Accounting (CORE, 20 Credits)

MN0119 - Management Decisions and Accounting (CORE, 20 Credits)

Year 2

HR0273 - Employment Law (CORE, 10 Credits)

LA0009 - Company Law (CORE, 10 Credits)

MN0218 - Financial Modelling (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0204 - Taxation (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0247 - Corporate and Group Accounting (CORE, 20 Credits)

FN0248 - Conceptual Frameworks for Financial Reporting (CORE, 10 Credits)

MN0250 - Management Information Systems (CORE, 20 Credits)

MN0254 - Managing Financial Performance (CORE, 20 Credits)

MN0256 - Introduction to Managing Corporate Finance (CORE, 10 Credits)

Year 3

FN0301 - Auditing Process and Theory (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0309 - Issues in Contemporary Auditing (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0322 - Further Taxation (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0346 - Current Issues in Financial Reporting (CORE, 20 Credits)

FN0347 - Undergraduate Dissertation (CORE, 30 Credits)

FN0360 - Ethics and Governance (CORE, 10 Credits)

MN0368 - FINANCIAL APPRAISAL, RISK AND CORPORATE VALUE (CORE, 20 Credits)

MN0369 - Management Accounting Today (CORE, 10 Credits)

If you don't have the time or simply can't be bothered, please don't put yourself through explaining the module, it's just I'm trying to see what the accountancy degree really contains

Thanks for all your help :smile:
Ahhh right, I am starting to get the picture now

Well, the modules at Northumbria uni are:

Year 1

BM0118 - Data Analysis Techniques (CORE, 20 Credits)

FN0137 - Financial Environments and Markets (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0146 - Directors, Shareholders and Rewards (CORE, 20 Credits)

HR0154 - Management (CORE, 20 Credits)

SM0117 - Business Organisation (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0135 - Financial Decisions and Accounting (CORE, 20 Credits)

MN0119 - Management Decisions and Accounting (CORE, 20 Credits)

Year 2

HR0273 - Employment Law (CORE, 10 Credits)

LA0009 - Company Law (CORE, 10 Credits)

MN0218 - Financial Modelling (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0204 - Taxation (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0247 - Corporate and Group Accounting (CORE, 20 Credits)

FN0248 - Conceptual Frameworks for Financial Reporting (CORE, 10 Credits)

MN0250 - Management Information Systems (CORE, 20 Credits)

MN0254 - Managing Financial Performance (CORE, 20 Credits)

MN0256 - Introduction to Managing Corporate Finance (CORE, 10 Credits)

Year 3

FN0301 - Auditing Process and Theory (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0309 - Issues in Contemporary Auditing (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0322 - Further Taxation (CORE, 10 Credits)

FN0346 - Current Issues in Financial Reporting (CORE, 20 Credits)

FN0347 - Undergraduate Dissertation (CORE, 30 Credits)

FN0360 - Ethics and Governance (CORE, 10 Credits)

MN0368 - FINANCIAL APPRAISAL, RISK AND CORPORATE VALUE (CORE, 20 Credits)

MN0369 - Management Accounting Today (CORE, 10 Credits)

If you don't have the time or simply can't be bothered, please don't put yourself through explaining the module, it's just I'm trying to see what the accountancy degree really contains

Thanks for all your help :smile:

Well all the modules with finance in the name will have alot of pure maths involved (i.e. algebra) as for the rest, the level of maths involved will be adding, subtracting, multiplication and divisions (very basic) and for law related modules, well you may have guessed, no numbers in there. hope that helps
Original post by Larissa White
Well all the modules with finance in the name will have alot of pure maths involved (i.e. algebra) as for the rest, the level of maths involved will be adding, subtracting, multiplication and divisions (very basic) and for law related modules, well you may have guessed, no numbers in there. hope that helps

What about Taxation & Further Taxation? That have a bit of maths involved?
What about Taxation & Further Taxation? That have a bit of maths involved?

Im doing taxation next year (final year Accounting) and as far as im concerned yes there will be basic maths involved i.e. adding/subtracting but not pure maths like algebra or what have you :smile:
Original post by Larissa White
Im doing taxation next year (final year Accounting) and as far as im concerned yes there will be basic maths involved i.e. adding/subtracting but not pure maths like algebra or what have you :smile:

Ahhh cool :smile:

How've you done so far in the first 2 years? Are the exams easy-ish or an absolute pain?
Ahhh cool :smile:

How've you done so far in the first 2 years? Are the exams easy-ish or an absolute pain?

Well Im doin BA Accounting on its own, and ive currently on a first (72%), yeah the exams were pretty easy, but im guessing the exam papers will vary quite alot from one uni to another. the exams i did in the second year were 'Law for Accounting' exam which was extremely easy, 'Financial Accounting' easy, 'Management accounting' exam quite hard and 'quantitative methods for Account/finance' was easy considering we literally knew what questions would come up lol. but from the looks of the second year modules you'd be doin, i would assume that the exams will be somewhat different from mine. :smile:
Original post by Come At Me Bro
Congratulations. You are studying possibly the most boring degree known to mankind, and also possibly the most useless considering you can go straight into accountancy without an A&F degree. Again, congratulations.

You know it's possible for one person to find something boring and another find it interesting. Hence why there are hundreds of degrees to choose from.
Congratulations. You are studying possibly the most boring degree known to mankind, and also possibly the most useless considering you can go straight into accountancy without an A&F degree. Again, congratulations.

Really? Was there any need at all?

Your opinion is well backed up I can see with the masses of evidence you have produced...

At least with taking the degree you will gain a lot of the knowledge and won't stress yourself over extra exams if you were to become an accountant after doing a non-accountancy degree...

However, since your opinion has a lot of evidence - I am in no place to argue :rolleyes:
How many exam exemptions do you actually get? And is spending £3375 a year plus (or £9000 from now on) for 3 years worth a little bit less stress? My brother, who is a chartered accountant at a big 4 firm, did an A&F degree. He told me it was a complete waste of time:
1) If you are dead set on accountancy, why not join a school-leavers scheme at a big 4 and start getting paid straight away instead of ending up in £££££'s of debt?
2) If you are not certain about what you want to do in the future, why take a vocational course like A&F and severely limit your future options? A standard traditional course like Economics or Maths would not only be more interesting and challenging, but you'd also have a lot more opportunites job-wise
3) The course content is easy and monotonous, and what's more, it becomes even more tedious once you have to start learning it all over again when you start studying for an accountancy qualification

Quite a few exam exemptions I've heard

It will be £3375 a year, £9000 a year is for the top uni's, I'm not applying to the top uni's! I'm mainly going for Northumbria (not a top uni, it's "good" at best)

Some will find it a complete waste of time - but they're still an accountant at the end of the day...how can he be sure he would get the same job without his degree?

The only reason I'm doing it is because your point 1) is correct! I am set on accountancy...however, the option of the school leaver's programme doesn't appeal to me! I'm looking at going to uni for the experience of living alone etc, not just for the degree.

If the course content is easy, then fair enough! I'm all for that - but that's your opinion...it doesn't say it's "easy" on the course information & I'm expecting it to be tedious...most subjects are! Accountancy isn't known for the job satisfaction, largely for it's ££££ it supplies! Since in today's society, accountants & financial experts are going to be needed more due to the economic disaster we are in!

I will, however, take point 2) into consideration!

I'm not trying to be nasty here, I know it will be tedious (most degrees are)! I was just upset at why you came on here needlessly belittling the degree to people who are merely interested in doing it at a university!
I'm in year 12, what work experience would be best? Especially to get experiene and something to write in personal statement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending