The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think everyones voice naturally changes when they have to be sensible, but putting on an accent is a bit much, plus it might come out really badly and they could think you're completely wierd.
Reply 21
Don't bother putting on a posh accent. Chances are, the tutors interviewing you won't have them either.
Reply 22
Original post by Wookie42
You'll just end up looking like a tool. Making sure you pronounce your words correctly and saying things like "My friend and I" instead of "Me and my friend" would probably help your cause though.
Above all, just be yourself - they'll see right through anyone trying to be someone their not.

Nah, people who say things like this to try to appear smart always end up getting it wrong and saying things like, "It interested my friend and I," and it's just lulzy.
Reply 23
I speak posh anyway :tea:
Reply 24
Original post by Cicerao
Nah, people who say things like this to try to appear smart always end up getting it wrong and saying things like, "It interested my friend and I," and it's just lulzy.

It isn't really smart, its basic English... or is even that frowned upon these days? :smile: I meant when saying something like "My friend and I went to the cinema." If you use "Me" instead, it would be saying "My friend and me", which, if you think about it is like saying "Me went to the cinema" once you remove the friend from the equation. Don't want to come off as a dick here - I got B/C in English at GCSE btw - just saying that its something pretty basic that a lot of people forget and it IS noticed, trust me.
Reply 25
It isn't really smart, its basic English... or is even that frowned upon these days? :smile: I meant when saying something like "My friend and I went to the cinema." If you use "Me" instead, it would be saying "My friend and me", which, if you think about it is like saying "Me went to the cinema" once you remove the friend from the equation. Don't want to come off as a dick here - I got B/C in English at GCSE btw - just saying that its something pretty basic that a lot of people forget and it IS noticed, trust me.

...that was my point, I just used the opposite example.

It interested my friend and I is incorrect.

My point was that it doesn't apply IN EVERY CASE to say "My friend and I." In some cases it is incorrect.
Absolutely! My accent is absolutely disgusting (think The Wurzels 'Combine Harvester') so if I'm in an interview setting I do put on an RP accent.

Despite what anyone says, if you're well spoken- you do come across as more intelligent :frown:
Reply 27
Original post by Cicerao
...that was my point, I just used the opposite example.

It interested my friend and I is incorrect.

My point was that it doesn't apply IN EVERY CASE to say "My friend and I." In some cases it is incorrect.

Ah right, sorry, I thought you were meaning that using it in general was considered trying to be smart. Its late, haha!
Reply 28
Ah right, sorry, I thought you were meaning that using it in general was considered trying to be smart. Its late, haha!

I'm doing an English Language degree...definitely not! :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by Dogatonic
OP, all the other posters here are just trying to prevent you from getting into oxbridge. For the interview, speak like you are part of the British nobility. Wear full white tie, a top hat, silk gloves and a monocle, and carry a cane. Have yourself chaffeured in a Rolls Royce to the university and have your valet shine your shoes just prior to entering the interview room.

I jest. :wink:

I already have a posh accent. You must have been watching re-runs of Brideshead Revisted.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending