The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Psychology and Philosophy 2011 applicants?

Hi, was just wondering who else is applying to do Psychology and Philosophy joint honours at Nottingham next year and what are your predicted grades?

Just want to get an idea of what I am up against, apparently there are only 10 places! :O
Reply 1
bump
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
There are only 10 places?!?!! No way!

I got predicted 2 A*s + 1 A

Where else are you applying to?

I've applied to Oxford, St Andrews, Bristol, Nottingham + Exeter. Also applying to USA but haven't finished my application for that!
Reply 3
Original post by Been_22
There are only 10 places?!?!! No way!

I got predicted 2 A*s + 1 A

Where else are you applying to?

I've applied to Oxford, St Andrews, Bristol, Nottingham + Exeter. Also applying to USA but haven't finished my application for that!

LOL, well I am aiming to get AAB so I am hoping you get your grades and go somewhere else lol no offence. I may have to retake modules for the third one just to give my application some more substance otherwise it is Hull for me!

Do you know of any other Universities apart from the two that I have mentioned and Oxford that do Psychology and Philosophy? Also, how do you with the application to America, which colleges did you apply to and what A-Levels do you need?

Good Luck though!
Reply 4
For America it's a completely different system so instead of using A levels I have had to teach myself SATs (american version basically of a levels, much simpler than a levels though) . I think there may be a couple of US uni's that don't require you to take SATs if you are an international student but they aren't like in the top 20. I think i'm going to apply to Penn, Duke, Georgetown, Washington Uni in St Louis, Stanford, Vanderbilt + one more ivy league i think

I'm not sure of any good unis that do P+P in the UK except Edinburgh, bristol or St Andrews. For exeter i have applied for combined honours. Have a look on the ucas website! :smile:

Also, Im really not keen on staying in the UK for uni unless I get into Oxford or St Andrews so hopefully I do and you get into Nottingham :smile:
Reply 5
hey just wanted to let you know i just received an offer today from nottingham for psychology + philosophy :smile: :smile: hope you do too!
Reply 6
Original post by Been_22
hey just wanted to let you know i just received an offer today from nottingham for psychology + philosophy :smile: :smile: hope you do too!

not even sent it off yet :s-smilie: been busy with operations and dad moving. can I ask what you wrote with regards to philosophy.

dude can you help me. since I am mainly applying for psychology, this is so far all I have in my personal statement re philosophy:

"Seeking to understand myself and those around me, has led me to develop an interest in Philosophy. The type of thinking needed to understand some of the complex concepts appears to have improved my own level of reasoning. I am currently reading Bertrand Russell’s compilation of Western Philosophy, and was particularly fascinated by the way in which Pythagoras tied science and religion together, the early political ideas of Greek Antiquity and the questioning of reality from Cartesian thought. I also spend my free time following European Politics and International Affairs in the Economist and reading up on other cultures. "

Now, from the little I have read, I have fallen in love with philosophy. mapping out human thought and its influences on the world whilst studying another subject (psychology) that looks at the more neurological (but also cognitive) motivations for human behaviour makes me cream myself. now the only other uni I know that does this combination is Hull. but thats far and nottingham is by far the better uni. please can you help me rearrange what I have said with regards to philosophy to warrant a place on a course with 10 places?

much appreciated, and also congratulations on the offer! :smile:
Reply 7
yeah pm me, been really busy this weekend so may not have a lot of time to help. probs best if its not written publicly as well on here all the stuff about your personal statement incase someone copies it.
Reply 8
Original post by Been_22
yeah pm me, been really busy this weekend so may not have a lot of time to help. probs best if its not written publicly as well on here all the stuff about your personal statement incase someone copies it.

ey, fair enough, I think I have it sorted now. I was so caught up in this superficial stuff that I found it hard to describe why I wanted to study Philosophy but I think I have done a better job of it now, thanks anyway!

well done on notts and good luck with the rest of your offers! :smile:
Reply 9
lol i meant we should talk about this in a message incase someone applying for philosophy copies it but here's my points on what you've written so far:

"Seeking to understand myself and those around me, has led me to develop an interest in Philosophy. The type of thinking needed to understand some of the complex concepts appears to have improved my own level of reasoning. I am currently reading Bertrand Russell’s compilation of Western Philosophy, and was particularly fascinated by the way in which Pythagoras tied science and religion together, the early political ideas of Greek Antiquity and the questioning of reality from Cartesian thought. I also spend my free time following European Politics and International Affairs in the Economist and reading up on other cultures. "

My points on the above (btw im going to be extra critical, dont take it to heart!) :
- Your first sentence isn't completely philosophical, philosophy is about understanding the world around us and questioning why are we here (in my opinion) so perhaps change your first sentence a little
- I'm not fully convinced by your second sentence, you need to spell out HOW its improved your own reasoning for it to be a credible sentence.
- Don't say 'currently reading' instead just say "Bertrand's Russell's 'Compilation of Western Philosophy' was interesting because...." as you can read it later!
- Good to link in here extra curricular but these don't really tie in with philosophy very much; unless you can find a link to say how they do, I would perhaps mention those later on.

Personally, the stuff you have written here:

Now, from the little I have read, I have fallen in love with philosophy. mapping out human thought and its influences on the world whilst studying another subject (psychology) that looks at the more neurological (but also cognitive) motivations for human behaviour makes me cream myself

Is more convincing to me and if I was making the decision about who to let into my uni, i'd prefer this much more because you show your enthusiasm which i feel the above paragraph is slightly lacking! So perhaps write something along the lines of what is in green!

Overall:

- Edit what I have said about your first paragraph
- Edit the stuff about your extra curricular, you must have something on there about philosophy
- Show your enthusiasm and excitement to learn the subject (so do this by changing what is written in green, and that'll be good as you've linked to 2 subjects together)
- I feel that you may need to add another book, your extra reading doesn't seem to be very broad
- Remember, this is your chance to make you stand out from everyone else, so don't write stuff that anybody else could have written, make this all about YOUR passion for the subject and why it interests you

Hope this has helped :smile: Need any more help im happy to help . Also remember, this reply is completely in my own opinion so it may not be the 'right' answer per say but its just what i think!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by adam_zed
Hi, was just wondering who else is applying to do Psychology and Philosophy joint honours at Nottingham next year and what are your predicted grades?

Just want to get an idea of what I am up against, apparently there are only 10 places! :O
'

Hey :biggrin:
congrats on your application! have you heard anything back from them yet? the anticipation is KILLING ME
and that's not neccessarily true, i'd say this is probably one of the most obscure courses with least applicants, so they would intake a different number each year! Also, they said for most of their courses they interview 70-90% of applicants, unless it's something insanely competitive such as Law or Medicine..GL to them :P
I'm doing the IB Diploma, but I got predicted: A*AA for higher subjects and A*A*A for standard. Although I didn't do as well as I'd hoped on my GCSE's, I think this course is really open ended depending on how passionate you are about them, especially seeing as a small minority have done Philosophy as an indepth study in school!
Good luck with everything!:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Deathmetalchick
'

Hey :biggrin:
congrats on your application! have you heard anything back from them yet? the anticipation is KILLING ME
and that's not neccessarily true, i'd say this is probably one of the most obscure courses with least applicants, so they would intake a different number each year! Also, they said for most of their courses they interview 70-90% of applicants, unless it's something insanely competitive such as Law or Medicine..GL to them :P
I'm doing the IB Diploma, but I got predicted: A*AA for higher subjects and A*A*A for standard. Although I didn't do as well as I'd hoped on my GCSE's, I think this course is really open ended depending on how passionate you are about them, especially seeing as a small minority have done Philosophy as an indepth study in school!
Good luck with everything!:smile:

haha, I have BBC so I think you are in a better position than me. just got to hope I get my retakes and that my PS knocks em bandy. Interviews, really? I know two lads that went there last year and they didnt have any interview. tbh you and that other guy with A*A*A predictions makes me think I should take it out as I clearly dont have a chance. then again I would never know if I didnt try. Im passionate about both subjects so hopefully they at least give me a chance. unfortunately I only know of two unis that do this course, hull (which is my insurance if i get an offer) and Bristol which there really is no point in applying for plus I like nottingham better. where else did you apply?
Reply 12
I personally think that you should definitely apply to nottingham! Because there arent many applicants, they are more likely to give you greater consideration. Was the stuff i wrote in the earlier post helpful with your personal statement?
p.s. im a girl not a guy lol
Reply 13
Original post by adam_zed
not even sent it off yet :s-smilie: been busy with operations and dad moving. can I ask what you wrote with regards to philosophy.

dude can you help me. since I am mainly applying for psychology, this is so far all I have in my personal statement re philosophy:

Now, from the little I have read, I have fallen in love with philosophy. mapping out human thought and its influences on the world whilst studying another subject (psychology) that looks at the more neurological (but also cognitive) motivations for human behaviour makes me cream myself. now the only other uni I know that does this combination is Hull. but thats far and nottingham is by far the better uni. please can you help me rearrange what I have said with regards to philosophy to warrant a place on a course with 10 places?

much appreciated, and also congratulations on the offer! :smile:

Scrap the rubbish about Pythagoras - it's really not 'particularly fascinating'. You're in danger of getting a "what the deuce?!" reaction from positing that as your primary point of interest. If you're particuarly keen on Nottingham I'd definitely whack something metaphysical in there instead - it's a departmental strong point. Although don't try to fly before you can crawl - it's very easy to make a fool of yourself by making even a tiny mistake. The other stuff is...OK. You really might want to reconsider the whole bunch though, declaring an interest in ancient philosophy and Descartes is a little clichéd (and not something you'll even study much at Nott'm). I'm a Nott'm Philosophy grad btw...now postgrad.

EDIT: It's a bit dangerous to try and define Philosophy - as 'Been22' has noted, there is much more to it than understanding people (although it's certainly a major aspect of Philosophy, despite her comments). Her 'idea' of Philosophy isn't actually any broader or more accurate than yours really. See how easy it is to screw up?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Mr. Fox
Scrap the rubbish about Pythagoras - it's really not 'particularly fascinating'. You're in danger of getting a "what the deuce?!" reaction from positing that as your primary point of interest. If you're particuarly keen on Nottingham I'd definitely whack something metaphysical in there instead - it's a departmental strong point. Although don't try to fly before you can crawl - it's very easy to make a fool of yourself by making even a tiny mistake. The other stuff is...OK. You really might want to reconsider the whole bunch though, declaring an interest in ancient philosophy and Descartes is a little clichéd (and not something you'll even study much at Nott'm). I'm a Nott'm Philosophy grad btw...now postgrad.

EDIT: It's a bit dangerous to try and define Philosophy - as 'Been22' has noted, there is much more to it than understanding people (although it's certainly a major aspect of Philosophy, despite her comments). Her 'idea' of Philosophy isn't actually any broader or more accurate than yours really. See how easy it is to screw up?

haha, dang I already sent it off and I included that crap about Pythagoras. Oh well, looks like goodbye Nottingham which is a shame as I would have loved it there! I must disagree about Descartes, because in the Nottingham website it included Descartes Dualism on the syllabus.

Thank you anyway though! And I wish you luck with your postgrad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending