The Student Room Group

Is this a good A-level combination?

Due to extenuating circumstances, I've been given a limited amount of a level options. I plan to study international relations or law at university. The unis that interest me are LSE, KCL, and SOAS.

The subjects I'm contemplating are English Literature A Level, Law A Level, and Psychology BTEC.

What do you think? is it a 'well respected' combination? what universities would be more realistic for me to aim for?

Scroll to see replies

I don't know too much about Law but I applied for Pol&IR and those combinations will be good all you rlly need for IR is an essay based subject
Original post by Throwaway17
Due to extenuating circumstances, I've been given a limited amount of a level options. I plan to study international relations or law at university. The unis that interest me are LSE, KCL, and SOAS.

The subjects I'm contemplating are English Literature A Level, Law A Level, and Psychology BTEC.

What do you think? is it a 'well respected' combination? what universities would be more realistic for me to aim for?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by user123456324
I don't know too much about Law but I applied for Pol&IR and those combinations will be good all you rlly need for IR is an essay based subject

That's what I think too, they're talking about Law at the moment, and if not, they're thinking of Philosophy for me. If you don't mind me asking, what did you study at A level and where did you go to university?
Reply 3

I would not choose psychology BTEC, you should be studying 3 A-levels or equivalent, especially for Law you want to focus on essay writing based subjects. A BTEC is a more practical qualification which I wouldn't consider fully appropriate or respectable for an academic law degree. Can you pick History / Politics / Philosophy / Geography A level instead or another essay based subject? A level English Literature and Law are great options.
(edited 10 months ago)
well im mid a levels atm but I applied to 5 unis and got all 5 offers

I did A levels in
Politics
Religious Studies
Business

Bath
Exeter
Loughborough
Nottingham
Southampton
That's what I think too, they're talking about Law at the moment, and if not, they're thinking of Philosophy for me. If you don't mind me asking, what did you study at A level and where did you go to university?
Reply 5
Original post by Ðeggs
I would not choose psychology BTEC, you should be studying 3 A-levels or equivalent, especially for Law you want to focus on essay writing based subjects. A BTEC is a more practical qualification which I wouldn't consider fully appropriate or respectable for an academic law degree. Can you pick History / Politics / Philosophy A level instead or another essay based subject? A level English Literature and Law are great options.

They won't let me do 3 A Levels because I didn't get 5 grade 5's at GCSE. I was ill so I only got two 6's in both English's, 5 in Biology, 4 in Chemistry and Maths.

Firstly universities in London are very difficult to get into due to massive demand so make sure you get some very good options as LSE and KCL reject loads especially for Law

The second issue is some top issues do not accept BTECs. Look into that before deciding. I think LSE are one. Personally I would not take a BTEC if you are looking at LSE. Any other humanities A level would be better eg History, Politics, Psychology etc.
Reply 7
Original post by user123456324
well im mid a levels atm but I applied to 5 unis and got all 5 offers

I did A levels in
Politics
Religious Studies
Business

Bath
Exeter
Loughborough
Nottingham
Southampton

Thanks for telling me, they look like great options :smile:
Having read your reply I wouldnt look at LSE and probably Kings.
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
Firstly universities in London are very difficult to get into due to massive demand so make sure you get some very good options as LSE and KCL reject loads especially for Law

The second issue is some top issues do not accept BTECs. Look into that before deciding. I think LSE are one. Personally I would not take a BTEC if you are looking at LSE. Any other humanities A level would be better eg History, Politics, Psychology etc.

They won't let me take 3 A-Levels. However, I looked and places like LSE accept BTECs alongside A-Levels. I think Cambridge is the only place that flat out refuse BTECs but Oxbridge doesn't interest me.
Reply 10
Having read your reply I wouldnt look at LSE and probably Kings.

Alright. Thanks for telling me.
Alright. Thanks for telling me.

I have taken this from Kings website
If you have taken GCSEs or equivalent qualifications, these will be taken into account when we assess your application.

All applicants who have taken GCSEs/iGCSEs are expected to have at least grade B/grade 6 in GCSE English Language and Mathematics or the equivalent. For some programmes this may be higher. Exceptions are made for applicants with extenuating circumstances.

As competition for places at LSE is intense, we look for applicants who have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A*/8-9 grades), particularly within the context of their school.
I have taken this from Kings website
If you have taken GCSEs or equivalent qualifications, these will be taken into account when we assess your application.

All applicants who have taken GCSEs/iGCSEs are expected to have at least grade B/grade 6 in GCSE English Language and Mathematics or the equivalent. For some programmes this may be higher. Exceptions are made for applicants with extenuating circumstances.

As competition for places at LSE is intense, we look for applicants who have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A*/8-9 grades), particularly within the context of their school.

How competitive is it to get a place at LSE?

Economics 17:1
Overall applications to places ratio = 13:1
Government/Philosophy 16:1
Law 15:1
How competitive is it to get a place at LSE?

Economics 17:1
Overall applications to places ratio = 13:1
Government/Philosophy 16:1
Law 15:1

BTEC Level 3 qualifications (BTEC Nationals) are looked at on an individual basis for admission to LSE. Due to the structure and assessment of BTECs, they are not regarded as providing as good a preparation for our degree programmes as more academic qualifications. As BTEC qualifications are typically in non-preferred subjects they may be seen as less competitive for programmes that have a large number of well qualified applicants. Our entry requirements for students sitting the reformed BTEC qualifications (using the RQF specifications) are listed below. We also accept unreformed BTEC qualifications (using the QCF specifications), again on an individual basis. Typically all other entry requirements need to be met, including GCSE English and Mathematics at grade B and any Mathematics and Further Mathematics A-level requirements. You should ask your referee to note any extenuating circumstances that may have impacted upon the choice of courses available to you post-16.
Reply 14
BTEC Level 3 qualifications (BTEC Nationals) are looked at on an individual basis for admission to LSE. Due to the structure and assessment of BTECs, they are not regarded as providing as good a preparation for our degree programmes as more academic qualifications. As BTEC qualifications are typically in non-preferred subjects they may be seen as less competitive for programmes that have a large number of well qualified applicants. Our entry requirements for students sitting the reformed BTEC qualifications (using the RQF specifications) are listed below. We also accept unreformed BTEC qualifications (using the QCF specifications), again on an individual basis. Typically all other entry requirements need to be met, including GCSE English and Mathematics at grade B and any Mathematics and Further Mathematics A-level requirements. You should ask your referee to note any extenuating circumstances that may have impacted upon the choice of courses available to you post-16.

The BTEC will be in Psychology, I went for that as it seemed the most academic. I got a grade B in both of my English GCSE's but a C in Mathematics. For extenuating circumstances, I got Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and was ill from year 8-11, and missed a lot of classes, and only had a few months to catch up. This impacted my courses available as they only put in selected GCSE's so I couldn't get particular A Levels. Do you think that would count as a valid extenuating circumstances?
The BTEC will be in Psychology, I went for that as it seemed the most academic. I got a grade B in both of my English GCSE's but a C in Mathematics. For extenuating circumstances, I got Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and was ill from year 8-11, and missed a lot of classes, and only had a few months to catch up. This impacted my courses available as they only put in selected GCSE's so I couldn't get particular A Levels. Do you think that would count as a valid extenuating circumstances?

You would need to seek advice from LSE. Only they can answer that. They tend to be one of the stricter universities over GCSEs.
Reply 16
You would need to seek advice from LSE. Only they can answer that. They tend to be one of the stricter universities over GCSEs.

Thanks for telling me. Out of the more better universities, which one do you think I could have a chance at?
As you're only doing two A levels, I'd prioritise something like history or geography over law probably. You can show your interest in law in other ways, and the top unis often prefer them as they give you a bigger range of knowledge and skills. English literature and psychology as your BTEC are good though :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by furryface12
As you're only doing two A levels, I'd prioritise something like history or geography over law probably. You can show your interest in law in other ways, and the top unis often prefer them as they give you a bigger range of knowledge and skills. English literature and psychology as your BTEC are good though :smile:

I can't do either of them as I didn't do them at GCSE which is unfortunate. My school only put me in for English Lang and Maths but some teachers fought for me to get Science and Literature GCSE's. My only options are English Language, Law, and Philosophy.
They won't let me do 3 A Levels because I didn't get 5 grade 5's at GCSE. I was ill so I only got two 6's in both English's, 5 in Biology, 4 in Chemistry and Maths.

Check the GCSE requirements for those unis, as for example, some more highly regarded universities require grade 6 at english and maths GCSE. I applied for law this cycle and couldn’t apply to certain universities due to the fact that I have a 5 in GCSE maths

Quick Reply

Latest