The Student Room Group

Will a GCSE in maths hold me back?

For context, I got all grades 7-9 (in History, Geography, Spanish, RE and the other core subjects), except maths and Combined Science (6-6). Will my lower grades stop me from getting into a Russel Group university? I am interested in pursuing a degree related to english literature, history, philosophy, psychology or law.

I want to be a lawyer or a teacher. I know my career is not maths related- but will it harm my academic future? And would they accept a 6-6 in Science (without any Sciences, psychology, or maths a levels) if I choose to study psychology.
Original post by Estudian
For context, I got all grades 7-9 (in History, Geography, Spanish, RE and the other core subjects), except maths and Combined Science (6-6). Will my lower grades stop me from getting into a Russel Group university? I am interested in pursuing a degree related to english literature, history, philosophy, psychology or law.

I want to be a lawyer or a teacher. I know my career is not maths related- but will it harm my academic future? And would they accept a 6-6 in Science (without any Sciences, psychology, or maths a levels) if I choose to study psychology.

Hi,
No, your GCSE maths grade will not determine whether or not you get a place in a Russel Group University. In the applications for Universities, they ask you your GCSE grades. Since you have 7-9 in other subjects, you are good to apply for whatever degree you want and you will get accepted, provided you meet the A-Level grade requirements of the Uni. Also, double check this on the University websites under the entry requirements for the subject of your choice. To apply to a Russel group university you need a 4 or 5 in Maths and English GCSE. Hope this helps.

PS. I am not an expert in this. So, please feel free to correct me.

Quick Reply

Latest