The Student Room Group

The Official Higher History 2010-11 Thread

:biggrin:

Hey there history people.
Just thought I'd make a thread, so we can share problems, resources, tips etc.

So what topics are you guys doing?

x

Scroll to see replies

Hey :smile:. We're doing Britain 1851-1951, Appeasement, and Wars of Independence 1286-1328. Just did a timed essay on women in class today after spending most of last night revising - went okay thankfully. What topics are you doing?
Hey again :smile:

We're doing appeasement, britain 1851-1951, and the impact of war on scotland (or something like that :P)

is your topic interesting?
Reply 3
Hey, we're doing the 'Large Scale State : USA' just now :smile: Its really interesting! I'm not sure what else we're going to be doing since I joined the class late and haven't heard about such things.

How's everyone finding the Higher? :smile:
daunting!
It's either hardest or second hardest behind English. You need to know so much information! I'm likely to have a lot of history this weekend as I have 'Term Exams' (basically mini-prelims) next week and our teacher refuses to tell us what the essay question will be, and there's no choice, so I need to know three different essays for Paper 1. And I'm slightly worried about Paper 2 as we haven't spent as much time on it (we do three periods a week Paper 1 and two periods Paper 2).
Which topic are you doing at the moment?

And there are choices for essays in the final exam, right? :P

e.g 3 diff, questions for appeasement etc?
Original post by tryingtolearn94
Which topic are you doing at the moment?

And there are choices for essays in the final exam, right? :P

e.g 3 diff, questions for appeasement etc?

We're doing both Britain and Scottish Wars - our double on a Thursday is for Scottish wars and our other 3 periods are Britain. And I'm pretty sure there are choices in the final exam; I think our teacher just wanted to make sure we'd learn all 3 essays we've done so far.
Reply 8
Hi guys , im doing german unification and growth of democracy in the uk and surprisingly i have more knowlegde on the stuff from germany!

Although bit unsure of how much my extended essay counts towards my final exam..if some1 could explain? thanks
Original post by Blackbull
Hi guys , im doing german unification and growth of democracy in the uk and surprisingly i have more knowlegde on the stuff from germany!

Although bit unsure of how much my extended essay counts towards my final exam..if some1 could explain? thanks

Mark Breakdown:

Extended Essay - 30%

Paper 1 - 2 essays each worth 20%

Paper 2:
how useful: 5%
comparison: 5%
how far: 10%
how fully: 10%
overall: 30%

So overall it's 30 marks for the extended essay, 40 marks for paper 1 and 30 marks for paper 2. Hope that helps! :smile:
So do any of you guys know any good online resources for the appeasement topic? :3
Original post by tryingtolearn94
So do any of you guys know any good online resources for the appeasement topic? :3

Do you mean simply for the knowledge? I always used to use just the Bitesize site which is quite good.
Original post by sandys1000
Do you mean simply for the knowledge? I always used to use just the Bitesize site which is quite good.

I suspect the more important stuff would be essay plans etc. since appeasement is now paper 1. I have nothing unfortunately as we haven't started it yet; we're going to soon though I think. :smile:
Original post by derangedyoshi
I suspect the more important stuff would be essay plans etc. since appeasement is now paper 1. I have nothing unfortunately as we haven't started it yet; we're going to soon though I think. :smile:

:facepalm: Forgot about that. Oh well, you still get what, 6 marks for knowledge?
Original post by sandys1000
:facepalm: Forgot about that. Oh well, you still get what, 6 marks for knowledge?

Yup. Gift marks - a good essay has at least 10 knowledge marks anyway. It's the argument marks that are hard to get.
Reply 15
We're doing the growth of German nationalism between 1815 and 1939, the Reformation in Scotland between 1542 and 1603 (for paper 2) and Britain between 1851 and 1979. At the time of writing we've finished Germany (which was pretty good overall), I've passed the NAB for it, and we're now a quarter of the way through the Reformation.

Apparently Britain is a killer. At the moment I can't really prove that right or wrong, but oh well. Enjoying the course as a whole so far anyway.
I heard that Britain was one of the easy ones, as the same types of questions come up year upon year:

i.e.

To what extent was britain a democracy by ----
how good were the labour/liberal reforms

etc :smile:

im doing it too- but not started yet
Britain's not too bad. We're a good way into it and yeah, the same questions apparently come up every time. Just to be pedantic, btw, its 1851 (first national census) - 1951 (end of Labour reforms). They changed it.
So, how's all your prelim studying going?
Reply 19
Already sat my Higher History - did Britian 1850 - 1979, Appeasement and the Road to War and Germany The Growth of Nationalism - so if anyone needs help, I still have my notes and advice on how to do essays/source questions etc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending