The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QHF
And I'm sure there are more similarities between teaching small children and teaching undergrads than you think there are.

:yes: Having been both a KS2 teaching assistant and a first year undergrad tutor I cannot agree with this enough.

So I sent of my mammoth 1000 word email, and - much to my surprise - had 4 replies ranging from 'I hadn't seen this discussion was under way but here's 5 more good reasons why not to move it that Boo hadn't thought of' to 'I think we're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist, and if anyone is unhappy then we shouldn't move it' to 'I like lie ins'. Not out of the woods yet, but I do feel like at least now there will be a proper reasoned discussion rather than a unilateral steam rollering. I hereby declare yesterday a successful day.
Original post by hobnob
Eek, you've just reminded me that I need to write the end of term report for my little one asap.:s-smilie:

is there a deadline for it? I am anxious about what my supervisor will say about me :s-smilie:
Original post by cinosia
Becca and apotoftea: congratulations for your successes!! Hope book and interview go well! :biggrin:

fellow grads: I'm confused about my CV. I'm rewriting it so that it is appropriate to send with my PhD applications. I'm not sure what to do about the sections on employment history. Obviously I'm not going to put the many part-time jobs I've done, but should I be putting on the full-time jobs I've had, and in how much detail? They're not at all related to PhD applications. Well, one is, VERY tangentially, in that it was teaching, but teaching to primary school kids, so a far cry from undergrads. Well, I say that, but ... ... Anyway. What to do?

worried it seems short. Not sure how much to pad things out. AARGH

Short is good. I think the most important thing is to account for all significant periods of time- no big gaps. If something you have done is relevant, even peripherally, then a sentence or two amplifying what it involved would be useful.

I agree with our purple friend- any teaching experience is relevant. It shows organisation (to get material together) and confidence (to deal with an audience)
Sigh. Spoke too soon.

According to last year's treasurer I am melodramatic and patronising.

On the plus side the ensuing **** storm has led to a committee meeting being scheduled and really that's all I ever wanted. This is probably going to happen whether I like it or not, but at least this way it can be discussed a bit first.
Original post by apotoftea
Looks like I've got an interview for that PhD studentship :biggrin:

yay :biggrin:
Reply 7985
Original post by Xristina
is there a deadline for it? I am anxious about what my supervisor will say about me :s-smilie:

Well, apparently the official deadline was the end of 7th week, but something went wrong, I think, so nobody told me, and now I've got to do it as soon as I can. Luckily it's only one report and I know what I want to write, though, so it shouldn't take me too long.
You'll probably have a meeting with your college advisor or the principal / master / warden / whatever else your college's head honcho is called sometime this week and then you'll get your report(s).:smile:
Original post by hobnob
Well, apparently the official deadline was the end of 7th week, but something went wrong, I think, so nobody told me, and now I've got to do it as soon as I can. Luckily it's only one report and I know what I want to write, though, so it shouldn't take me too long.
You'll probably have a meeting with your college advisor or the principal / master / warden / whatever else your college's head honcho is called sometime this week and then you'll get your report(s).:smile:

hm...it might be different for grads. We had to submit our report by Friday week 7 so I doubt the supervisors had the same deadline, cause I think they are supposed to check what we wrote and then write theirs.
Also, I have a meeting with my college advisor (collection I think it's called) in January, week 2 I think. It might not be related though...Oxford is confusing :tongue:
Reply 7987
hm...it might be different for grads. We had to submit our report by Friday week 7 so I doubt the supervisors had the same deadline, cause I think they are supposed to check what we wrote and then write theirs.
Also, I have a meeting with my college advisor (collection I think it's called) in January, week 2 I think. It might not be related though...Oxford is confusing :tongue:

No, you're thinking of the GSS reports.:wink: I'm talking about OxCORT. I thought maybe the people on taught courses got OxCORT reports as well, but it looks like I was wrong about that, then. In that case you'll just receive an email when your tutor(s) submit your GSS report and you may or may not talk about that with your college advisor in January. It's all extremely straightforward, as you'd expect.:p:
cinosia, threeportdrift in the 'CV Help' section of TSR is very good, so you could look for advice there.
Personally I constructed completely different CVs based on whether I was applying for regular jobs, or for academic funding/places. I guess I'm quite lucky in that I have lots of things to go on a CV, although in my view lots of those things are quite trivial or silly. Nevertheless I've been advised that it was better to put the most relevant things in and leave the irrelevant ones out. So even though I think sticking out nearly 3 years at Wetherspoons suggests stamina, reliability and willingness to do rubbish work if need be, I left that out of my 'academic' CV as well as all of my other jobs which ranged from office work to stuff in a community centre, babysitting and bar work. Things I put instead were stuff like initiating and running a Social Theory reading group last year, and my student ambassador work. I also tried to match up the subject area of my proposal to relevant experience that suggested interest or commitment. So when I applied for my MPhil with a proposal about working class pupils and perceptions of HE then the student ambassador work, and Personal Statement help on here were particularly relevant. When I applied for a PhD in New Media, then experience as a moderator, and an otherwise insignificant research project from second year undergrad suddenly received more stress.

So yeh, I think approaching the CV in terms of a theme can be a useful way to make decisions.

Yeh if Oxford is anything like Cambridge, then supervision reports are only for undergraduates.
Original post by hobnob
No, you're thinking of the GSS reports.:wink: I'm talking about OxCORT. I thought maybe the people on taught courses got OxCORT reports as well, but it looks like I was wrong about that, then. In that case you'll just receive an email when your tutor(s) submit your GSS report and you may or may not talk about that with your college advisor in January. It's all extremely straightforward, as you'd expect.:p:

aaah alright then. thanks :smile:
Reply 7990
Original post by Craghyrax
Yeh if Oxford is anything like Cambridge, then supervision reports are only for undergraduates.

I get reports from my supervisor. Don't you?
Dear Miss Cirsium,

It appears from our records that you have not yet provided us with your proof of right to work in the UK documentation. We need to see this urgently blah blah blah because we are useless and have lost the photocopy we made of your passport in 2009.

If you have any difficulty in doing this please let me know.

Bloody financial services
Original post by hobnob

No...
Original post by Becca
I am also definitely a mountain person, although growing up in the Lake District that is hardly surprising! :biggrin:

I have just returned from your old neck of the woods. 4 more Wainwrights, mostly in horizontal rain :p: Awesome fun though.
Original post by hobnob

Not from Cambridge I didn't.

UEA seems to have more of a formal system of monitoring us.
Original post by Cirsium
No...

Why's your usertitle not purple anymore? confused:
Why's your usertitle not purple anymore? confused:

Because it was pointed out that we should get free subs as FAs, so they basically took away the sub I've paid for and gave me my free FA one and it messed up the settings and I haven't bothered to change it back yet.
Reply 7997
cinosia, threeportdrift in the 'CV Help' section of TSR is very good, so you could look for advice there.
Personally I constructed completely different CVs based on whether I was applying for regular jobs, or for academic funding/places....[etc]

In my CVs I just put in a line at the end of the work experience section along the lines of "various other temporary jobs to help fund studying/travelling" - obviously the relevant ones (eg being a tutor) listed separately. Like Craggy, while I think eg cleaning floors at a youth hostel and dealing with drunk punters at the racetrack showed a tremendous amount of character on my part, it's probably not going to help my CV overall :biggrin:
Original post by Cirsium
Because it was pointed out that we should get free subs as FAs, so they basically took away the sub I've paid for and gave me my free FA one and it messed up the settings and I haven't bothered to change it back yet.

If you post in AAM they will probably hold the remainder of your old sub in credit for you and give it back once you are no longer an FA. You can easily change your own colour in your account settings.
Reply 7999
Original post by Cirsium
No...

Not from Cambridge I didn't.

UEA seems to have more of a formal system of monitoring us.

Ah. Well, I get a sort of short progress report at the end of each term. Something along the lines of:
Hobnob has made little progress this term and appears to have spent most of her time faffing around on the internet instead of finishing her chapter on 'Shakespeare's Rodents', which is still looking quite poor. After yet another wasted term she also doesn't have a clue as to how she might proceed from here, and neither do I, to be honest. The thought that she actually hopes to finish her thesis by the end of the academic year fills me with a mixture of scorn and pity.

Latest

Trending

Trending