The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca

In other news, official job rejection letter from my interview last week. It took a while to get a response so I knew deep down I'd been rejected, but getting it in writing makes it so true. :frown:

At least you got a letter. The NHS don't bother :rolleyes:

Damn damn damn, going to the theatre has given the 'I should have done THAT as my PhD proposal' LOL. Nahh couldn't face going back to academia *shudder*.
Reply 1381
So quiet in Cambridge tonight :s-smilie:
Original post by shiny
So quiet in Cambridge tonight :s-smilie:

:eek:
Had no idea you were at Cam :p:
Reply 1383
Original post by Craghyrax
:eek:
Had no idea you were at Cam :p:

I'm not. I'm interviewing!
Original post by shiny
I'm not. I'm interviewing!

Being interviewed, you mean?
Reply 1385
Being interviewed, you mean?

Yeah! ALthough, I ask them questions too and I am probing my interviewers as much as they probe me hehe :biggrin:
Original post by apotoftea
At least you got a letter. The NHS don't bother :rolleyes:

Damn damn damn, going to the theatre has given the 'I should have done THAT as my PhD proposal' LOL. Nahh couldn't face going back to academia *shudder*.

Yeah true. I can't stand employers who don't respond at all. An email would do tbh.
Reply 1387
How annoying :shifty: (your student)

I'm also in a long distance relationship, which sucks. Boyfriend was visiting last week because he had to go to UEA to meet potential supervisors. He went home on Sunday. I'm adamant that we're not spending Valentines day apart this year (as we've been forced to for the last two years), so I'm going down to see him in a week for a long weekend :shifty: After that what we're going to do between 14th Feb and the end of March, I don't know. My term ends earlier, but its getting to the point where I'm arranging research and may be having to make frequent trips up to Peterborough :s-smilie:

Ugh, I hate Valentine's Day. It's not even remotely romantic.
Original post by Apagg
Ugh, I hate Valentine's Day. It's not even remotely romantic.

I agree entirely. So arbitrary and blergh.
Just gave an essay 42. Wow I feel evil.

I'm in the middle about Valentines day. I used to refuse to celebrate it, but now we're apart it feels more like it matters :frown:
Original post by Bekaboo

I'm in the middle about Valentines day. I used to refuse to celebrate it, but now we're apart it feels more like it matters :frown:

Was it the 900 word one?
Original post by Becca
Was it the 900 word one?

Actually, no. He somehow managed to cover all of the basics in 800 words. No detail, but it was in a logical sequence and it's all there, so he's got a 2ii

No this was one of my handed-it-in-lates. 8 hours after the deadline "Oh I just needed to proof read it once more." Idiot. It was a rubbish essay so he got 52, minus 10% for being late.
Original post by Bekaboo

Actually, no. He somehow managed to cover all of the basics in 800 words. No detail, but it was in a logical sequence and it's all there, so he's got a 2ii

No this was one of my handed-it-in-lates. 8 hours after the deadline "Oh I just needed to proof read it once more." Idiot. It was a rubbish essay so he got 52, minus 10% for being late.

Ah you can't feel bad! It's his fault for sending it in late, you actually gave it 52 :cool:
Reply 1393
Original post by Bekaboo

I actually had a lot of fun on the Valentine's days I was single - we and all my single friends would get together to eat cookies and watch films with lots of explosions. Me and the Boy won't go out (as I'm coaching), but I think he'll cook me something nice. He's very good at cooking, so I persuade him to make me dinner whenever I can :p:
Meh, I wish I could make my boy dinner on Valentine's Day - I love cooking. But we both live with our parents (first jobs, London is expensive, working on moving out) so that is unlikely - unless I want to cook for his or my parents too.
Yeh I think I'm the same. I was single until I was 21, and only began to get fidgety about that at 20. Since being with my boyfriend though, being without him is absolutely rubbish presumably because I know what I'm missing and have that point of comparison. If I wasn't connected to anybody I wouldn't mind being alone. But when you are connected its much nicer to be together than apart. Especially as its quite easy to be solitary while in another person's company. My boyfriend and I are both quite introverted so often spend time reading or listening to music in the same location without speaking.

I know exactly what you mean, and you're right - having the point of comparison does make a big difference. Before we got together, I'd had one relationship worthy of the name, and that had been years ago in a different part of the country. I was single and content, and was completely happy being alone. I'd always find plenty to do to fill my time as well.

Now I have no idea how to fill the time if he's away - our lives are kind of structured around each other now. I can't even be arsed to cook for myself, as we always cook together. And like you, we both like and need solitude, because we both write for a living, but the solitude of being both inside our studies looking forward to breaking for lunch together or going for a walk later or whatever, is different from the solitude of me being here and him being all the way across an ocean. :frown:

Bah, I sound pathetic!
Original post by Bekaboo

Yeah, I gave a 40 this week and now feel like a complete bitch. But it gets wearing when this particular student just won't improve. He has heard me give two seminars on how important it is to read and reference secondary material in essays, and he persists in giving me essays that don't even reference the book the question is about, let alone anything else. I feel like shaking him.

(Also, the question was about Mischa Glenny's book McMafia and the argument for decriminalising drugs, and this student's main argument against decriminalising them was that 'crime lords might be forced to make involuntary redundancies, which would lead to increased unemployment amongst drug dealers'. It must take so much effort to come up with arguments that stupid!)

With Valentine's Day, a big part of me knows it's a cynical meaningless marketing ploy, but a tiny bit of it doesn't care and wants to do something romantic anyway. I get to celebrate it with the excuse that it falls around the time of our 'anniversary'. Yikes, seven years now. :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by the_alba
I know exactly what you mean, and you're right - having the point of comparison does make a big difference. Before we got together, I'd had one relationship worthy of the name, and that had been years ago in a different part of the country. I was single and content, and was completely happy being alone. I'd always find plenty to do to fill my time as well.

Now I have no idea how to fill the time if he's away - our lives are kind of structured around each other now. I can't even be arsed to cook for myself, as we always cook together. And like you, we both like and need solitude, because we both write for a living, but the solitude of being both inside our studies looking forward to breaking for lunch together or going for a walk later or whatever, is different from the solitude of me being here and him being all the way across an ocean. :frown:

Bah, I sound pathetic!

I don't think it's pathetic at all :smile:

Original post by the_alba
Yeah, I gave a 40 this week and now feel like a complete bitch. But it gets wearing when this particular student just won't improve. He has heard me give two seminars on how important it is to read and reference secondary material in essays, and he persists in giving me essays that don't even reference the book the question is about, let alone anything else. I feel like shaking him.

How can someone be at uni and not know that you have to reference in your essays? At least the source text :s-smilie:
Someone on my course was going to hand in an essay with no references the other week because he lost his list. Seriously.
Original post by evantej
My girlfriend visits me every couple weeks since she lives in Yorkshire, but I am left on my own for long stretches at times so I definitely sympathise with how you are feeling at the moment. She visited over the weekend and we went to go see Black Swan, which was wonderful; I liked it far, far more than she did! Most have been the Dostoevskian undertones. :tongue:

Ack, I remember those days, always bombing across the country for weekend visits during my Master's. It sucked :s-smilie:

I loved Black Swan. I do have problems with its argument that great art has to involve self-immolation, but that aside, I thought it was atmospheric, intelligent, and extremely well-acted. Her life and routine and the emotional pressures put on her also reminded me of my violin-playing days.

Latest

Trending

Trending