The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spradley
so yours werent very lifelike? more concept???...bascically, do good realistic drawings????

Hi ive posted earlier the pieces i sent off so have a look and see if it helps :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by costellomusic
Hi ive attached the 5 pieces i did if it helps, the hand and the foot were life drawings using black pen, the figure was also a life drawing in pencil and the other two were watercolours/inks (they arnt in colour as i only photocopied them and had to send the real ones off)

My advice would be to focus more on the work than the meaning behind them when your explaining them. I got told the want to see you ability to capture things around you through a distinctive mark. Also as they say life drawing and not from a photo, mine sort of look like they're from a photo, which they're not. Just generate your own style ! :smile: hope that helps and good luck !

Impressive stufff! :wink:
Yours are fab, I'm a bit worried about some of mine that they might look like they're done from photos but oh well if I don't get a place then so be it :smile:.
Reply 43
Manchester - Offer
Bath - Application acknowledgement
Cambridge - Sent off written work to college
Sheffield - Nothing
Oxford Brookes - Nothing

Am I the only person here to have not heard back from Sheffield? (sent my UCAS off mid September)
I hope I haven't deleted the email by accident...
Reply 44
Finally handed in my task to UCL....actually went there....and they didn't even give me a prove or receipt.....
Reply 45
Original post by Blinks
Manchester - Offer
Bath - Application acknowledgement
Cambridge - Sent off written work to college
Sheffield - Nothing
Oxford Brookes - Nothing

Am I the only person here to have not heard back from Sheffield? (sent my UCAS off mid September)
I hope I haven't deleted the email by accident...

i haven't heard anything from sheffield either and i'm getting a bit panicky haven't even had an acknowledgement

cambridge - acknowledgement
sheffield - nothing
newcastle - nothing
cardiff - sent portfolio on saturday
nottingham - conditional aaa offer

does anyone think an email to sheffield is a good idea? i don't want to annoy them but i'm scared.
I just want to say - good luck everyone!
Original post by costellomusic
I sent off my task and they said it wasn't up to standard for an interview :frown:. I did 2 pen life drawings a watercolour an ink piece and a loose graphite drawing but mainly focused on the story behind all the pieces. i think they want to see your ability to capture the world around you through mark making etc if that helps. Oh and make sure you explain why you used the materials ! good luck

Tbh I'm shocked they said that!
Reply 48
Original post by meerkat92
i haven't heard anything from sheffield either and i'm getting a bit panicky haven't even had an acknowledgement

cambridge - acknowledgement
sheffield - nothing
newcastle - nothing
cardiff - sent portfolio on saturday
nottingham - conditional aaa offer

does anyone think an email to sheffield is a good idea? i don't want to annoy them but i'm scared.

Same here, haven't even had an acknowledgement from them or anything. If I haven't heard from them in 2 weeks I'll email them, but as you said, I don't really want to make a fuss and piss them off. I suppose they deal with each application differently, but I sent my application off ages ago. Well at least we will get longer to prepare a portfolio..... If they do eventually reply
Reply 49
UCL is so weird
they rejected too
*hugs*
Reply 50
i'll kick myself if they haven't actually received my application and i play a waiting game wouldn't be so worried if no one else had heard but it seems like everyone here who has applied to sheffield has had the request for a portfolio apart from you and me...
which cambridge college have you applied to?
I don't understand, is sending an application off in December considered late?
Reply 52
Original post by xBillyBrownx
I don't understand, is sending an application off in December considered late?

Not really
But quite a few of the universities have mentioned on their open days that it puts you at an advantage sending your application off earlier, as they only have a limited number offers they can make
Reply 53
Costellomusic:

Thanks for the photos, really appreciate it. I am just starting now and hoping to finish them tomorrow and send them via same day delivery on wednesday. I am really nervous now seeing that you got rejected despite the rather high standard of work...
(edited 13 years ago)
Wow costellomusic I hadn't put two and two together, really surprised you got rejected by UCL, I really have no chance now mine are much more realistic but I don't really get what they are looking for.
Reply 55
just out of intrest, what are the UCL task briefs this year?
If it's okay, would you guys mind posting up images of your tasks for us. After you hear something from them of course. It'd be really nice to see what sort of standard work they're looking for. If that okay with you guys!:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 57
Sure, sending it off tomorrow via same day delivery. Still on my third piece...
Bath - acknowledged
Cambridge - acknowledged
Cardiff - portfolio
Sheffield - portfolio
UCL - unsuccessful (due to "performance in assessment task")

I just got my rejection notification today. Pretty disappointed, and it's left me feeling pretty pessimistic if I'm honest. Portfolio for Cardiff was sent away today, so fingers crossed for it I guess...
I'm surprised no one is applying to AA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending