Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

What is KCL good for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Focus08
It's fun to watch self-delusion on the sidelines :awesome:

brb, Imma get the popcorn, don't continue the show without me :jerry:

Are you saying you know more than the Professors in Harvard, Stanford etc?

Its not like if Warwick has any international reputation. And it is definitely not in the class of LSE.
(edited 12 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 101
Original post by LutherVan
Are you saying you know more that the Professors in Harvard, Stanford etc?

Its not like if Warwick has any international reputation. And it is definitely not in the class of LSE.

To be honest, I don't think KCL has that great a reputation in the UK except for law and medicine. The law school is fantastic, some suggesting it's in another league to the university itself.

Internationally, it will have a good rep; it's London; it's in the Da Vinci Code - booya.
Reply 102
The comment by lesbionic is the kind of childish ignorance that is confidently delivered frequently seen on TSR.?

No, you meretricious fool, it's the kind of comment that a KCL student would make. I'm in the law school, and I think it's perfectly obvious that the school is just more prestigious than the rest of the university, except for medicine (I'm presuming you don't known, but medicine pretty much has its own campus at Guy's).

I didn't say it's in the league of Brunel/University of Romford etc. It's perfectly good! But it's no better than say, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham - all great universities but lacking the 'wow' factor.

That said, I love King's with all my heart - everything works so smoothly here, the staff are fantastic and lovely (in law anyway) and the facilities are unbeatable.

Plus for law, there's nowhere else that I'd want to be - you get to walk by the RCJ everytime you go to the Chancery Lane library!
Original post by lesbionic

No, you meretricious fool, it's the kind of comment that a KCL student would make. I'm in the law school, and I think it's perfectly obvious that the school is just more prestigious than the rest of the university, except for medicine (I'm presuming you don't known, but medicine pretty much has its own campus at Guy's).

I didn't say it's in the league of Brunel/University of Romford etc. It's perfectly good! But it's no better than say, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham - all great universities but lacking the 'wow' factor.

That said, I love King's with all my heart - everything works so smoothly here, the staff are fantastic and lovely (in law anyway) and the facilities are unbeatable.

Plus for law, there's nowhere else that I'd want to be - you get to walk by the RCJ everytime you go to the Chancery Lane library!

Its not the kind of comment that a KCL student would make, just the kind of obnoxious response you would expect from a Law student.
Reply 104
Original post by criss_cross
Its not the kind of comment that a KCL student would make, just the kind of obnoxious response you would expect from a Law student.

Excuse me, what does that mean? I didn't say anything seditious about my university, I think I just expressed how much I love my faculty.

More childish and ignorant rubbish.

It is only Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial that have the wow factor in the UK. The next batch are just top universities.
(edited 13 years ago)
i would argue the history department is up there with medicine and law.
I was reading the comments section in a link posted by Focus08. I saw a comment from a person claiming to be experienced (not verifiable though, but I can't seem to see any benefit why the person will be untruthful) which states exactly what I have been trying to say here about historical reputation.

http://news.students.efinancialcareers.co.uk/NEWS_ITEM/newsItemId-16753-startRow-1

Commentator: Present and Correct, Capital Markets, Tue 06 Jan 09

"Cass (or City as it should be called - the business school cannot hide from the university) is not a top-tier school and ranks well outside the russell group universities and amongst many Polys. I have yet to meet a Cass grad in a front office role. As for the above Oxbridge/'family assets' nonsense, you are wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

A place at one of the top 10 universities (by reputation, not newspaper ranking) is good enough, and, broadly, are treated in the following order - Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, and then in a more hazy order - Imperial, Warwick, Durham, Edinburgh, Kings College, UCL, Bristol). The next group of Universities are the traditional redbricks who have suffered a fall in recent years - Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Liverpool, Exeter, Birmingham, York, Glasgow, St Andrews etc. After this, and really skimming the dege of acceptability for Banking jobs (ie. entry requirements may not include any A's at A-Level) are Loughborough, City, Reading, Newcastle, etc.

Most of the people I work with (75%), in a front office role, went to one of the top 10 Universities and maybe the next 20% to Manchester, Liverpool etc."

My opinion is still that, in the real world, the reputation of the university has more weight and the top 10 by reputation will have LSE at 3rd place behind Oxbridge unlike league tables.
(edited 13 years ago)
I was reading the comments section in a link posted by Focus08. I saw a comment from a person claiming to be experienced (not verifiable though, but I can't seem to see any benefit why the person will be untruthful) which states exactly what I have been trying to say here about historical reputation.

http://news.students.efinancialcareers.co.uk/NEWS_ITEM/newsItemId-16753-startRow-1

Commentator: Present and Correct, Capital Markets, Tue 06 Jan 09

"Cass (or City as it should be called - the business school cannot hide from the university) is not a top-tier school and ranks well outside the russell group universities and amongst many Polys. I have yet to meet a Cass grad in a front office role. As for the above Oxbridge/'family assets' nonsense, you are wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

A place at one of the top 10 universities (by reputation, not newspaper ranking) is good enough, and, broadly, are treated in the following order - Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, and then in a more hazy order - Imperial, Warwick, Durham, Edinburgh, Kings College, UCL, Bristol). The next group of Universities are the traditional redbricks who have suffered a fall in recent years - Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Liverpool, Exeter, Birmingham, York, Glasgow, St Andrews etc. After this, and really skimming the dege of acceptability for Banking jobs (ie. entry requirements may not include any A's at A-Level) are Loughborough, City, Reading, Newcastle, etc.

Most of the people I work with (75%), in a front office role, went to one of the top 10 Universities and maybe the next 20% to Manchester, Liverpool etc."

My opinion is still that, in the real world, the reputation of the university has more weight and the top 10 by reputation will have LSE at 3rd place behind Oxbridge unlike league tables.

Dude we've got a trader on the Equity finance desk that went to Westminster? What's your point? Of all the unis you mentioned above, only Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial/Durham and none from the other unis made the cut in the AC for the Trading Graduate Trainee program.
If you make the money NO-ONE will give a damn about your uni. Kings/Cass/Manchester...they're all in the same league, i.e. not top tier. I don't give a damn about someone's background.
(edited 13 years ago)
It's good at being worse than UCL.
Original post by student_london
Dude we've got a trader on the Equity finance desk that went to Westminster? What's your point? Of all the unis you mentioned above, only Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial/Durham and none from the other unis made the cut in the AC for the Trading Graduate Trainee program.
If you make the money NO-ONE will give a damn about your uni. Kings/Cass/Manchester...they're all in the same league, i.e. not top tier. I don't give a damn about someone's background.

I have no doubt that if one is truly talented, then which university they went to has little relevance.

But I think it is frankly silly to say all universities are in the same league.

There is a reason alumni's of certain universities are more successful careerwise, make more money and are sought by certain top/prestigious firms.

A university's reputation gives one a better chance of having the door open to be given a chance to prove themselves.

There is a reason why for every 1 Westminster student you see on the trading floor, you will see 100 Oxbridge and LSE students.
Keeping chavs off the streets.
Please don't start ucl vs lse again.
The King's College Appeal is not for staff, it is about cancer research. Iain Pears, whose blog tells more truth about King's management than anything I know, and who King's faculty pretend doesn't exist because he shows how badly King's is run, has pointed out that the income from a £500 million appeal will just about pay the salaries King's Collage management have awarded themselves
Read him at
http://boonery.blogspot.com/2010_11_01_archive.html
Reply 114
kcl has a really strong history department. ranked 2nd in the times university guide.
It may be a strong History Department, it has proved unable to resist job cuts and eager to collaborate with management and to get rid of 'colleagues' so as to ensure that individual faculty members get computing support, awards, prizes, lunch with Will and Kate etc. Most of the staff have the moral integrity of dead jellyfish.
Reply 116
Well, the department of War Studies is supposed to be really good and highly competitive.

By the way, I do believe that LSE is considered as good as Oxbridge, but I did not apply there on purpose as I didn't like too much their politics courses..
Reply 117
The top answer really is a as certified snatch palace.
The Philosophy department is well respected, usually coming in fifth or sixth in the country.
Reply 119
The King's philosophy department is amazing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest