The Student Room Group

Moving abroad before end of degree

Ok, I'll try to make this as brief and easy to understand as possible...

I'm currently studying a BA Hons degree in my third and final year. My timetable sees me coming in only 3 hours per week, which to my knowledge have not been recorded (can't remember ever seeing my tutor mark us on a register).

Without sounding like I know it all (because I really don't), I am finding the course extremely easy and expect to finish with a First grade. In 5 weeks my semester will finish and I will not go back to Uni until end of January...then I simply have one module - my Major Project. My course is very independant because it is based on Web Design so almost everything is done digitally.

Just wanted to explain what my course is like, this is the problem:

I have recently been offered a job abroad (within the EU) with a very high salary, I just can't turn down this opportunity but they require me to relocate there immediately (within the next few weeks). In terms of getting uni work done, this will be fine because I know that I will easily be able to tie in the work I do for this company with my Major Project. The problem is whether I will get away with doing this legally...

First of all I am not wanting to do anything illegal that might get me into trouble, I just want to know my options...so I am hoping some students (or even tutors?) on here can give me some advice:

- First off, where do I lie with my degree? Am I allowed to move abroad and finish off the last few months of my course?

- What will happen with Student Finance? Do I really need to let them know?

- If I am not allowed to do this could there be an option to enter an open University because I will literally have just one more module to complete, and this is the major project so the majority of it is independent anyway!

- If I have to stop my course to move there, will I be able to start it again at any time? And will I be able to start from where I left? ie. have just the major project to submit?

- If I do not attend my classes in the second semester will Student Finance investigate?

Reply 1
Nobody can help ? :frown:
Reply 2
You might be able to get away with this if this were your last term, but over the course of several months, I think there's a good chance that people will notice you're not actually there. And as there's probably something in the university rules (which you agreed to when you started your degree) to the effect that you're expected to attend your lectures and classes, that could get you in trouble. If this is your final module, though, might taking a diploma be an option?
Reply 3
Talk to your tutor.

Having an 'ordinary degree' (i.e. no honours) could be a solution, as you may be eligible for that without your dissertation.

EDIT: And yes, you would need to tell Student Finance.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
To be honest with you I would prefer to complete a full honours degree. Technically it will pretty much be my final term that I miss, because my current term finishes in just over a month. I wont be making my way out the country for another 2/3 weeks.

What would Student Finance do? I have already paid my tuition fee, will they just stop my maintenance and ask me to start paying the loan back?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending