The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't believe the devolved bodies should have a constitutional right of existence - that would effectively destroy the British constitution as it has been understood since the inception of Great Britain.

An English Assembly? Why not. I don't think you want it though, and I wouldn't if I was living in England, but all the same.

I don't want the Scottish Parliament either. A useless bunch of numpties. Devolution should be about bring democracy closer to the people it serves - the Scottish Parliament has failed in that respect.
Reply 2
LibertineNorth
I don't believe the devolved bodies should have a constitutional right of existence - that would effectively destroy the British constitution as it has been understood since the inception of Great Britain.

Why do we need parliamentary sovereignty? Simply saying "it's always been like that" isn't good enough. Other countries operate well enough with placing powers on the lawmaking abilities of their legislatures.
Reply 3
Why do we need parliamentary sovereignty?

Because the British constitution says so.
Reply 4
A detailed answer, if I ever saw one...
Reply 5
zooropa
A concise answer, if I ever saw one...

I'll take it as a compliment. Why use 50 words when you can use 5? :cool:
Reply 6
zooropa
Should England have a devolved parliament/assembly?

Should the UK become an effective federal state, so the devolved bodies have a constitutional right to exist?

no. and the current devolved setups should be abolished
--------------
Socrates
I'll take it as a compliment. Why use 50 words when you can use 5? :cool:

you used 6 :wink:
Reply 7
zooropa
Should England have a devolved parliament/assembly?

Should the UK become an effective federal state, so the devolved bodies have a constitutional right to exist?

I see no strong, cohesive reason why England should not have a devolved parliament/assembly.

Scotland, Wales and shortly, the North of Ireland, will all be devolved -running their own assemblies for their own people. Why should not England do the same?

We are all fragmented emotionally anyway.
Reply 8
yawn
I see no strong, cohesive reason why England should not have a devolved parliament/assembly.

The Soviet Union ceased to be a state the second Russia got its own parliament (all the other parts of the Soviet Union had their own parliament since the 1930s and earlier).
Reply 9
Bismarck
The Soviet Union ceased to be a state the second Russia got its own parliament (all the other parts of the Soviet Union had their own parliament since the 1930s and earlier).

Precisely!
LibertineNorth

An English Assembly? Why not. I don't think you want it though, and I wouldn't if I was living in England, but all the same.

I don't want the Scottish Parliament either. A useless bunch of numpties. Devolution should be about bring democracy closer to the people it serves - the Scottish Parliament has failed in that respect.

I agree. The English people aren't asking for an Assembly/Parliament, so why give one to them? I feel that my interests would be best served, not by a Parliament in Edinburgh, but with the old system of Burgh Councils and County Councils back, with their former powers. I trust a bunch of retired colonels and landowners to run me better than politicians, since at least the colonels and landowners had the public interest at heart.
Reply 11
yawn
Precisely!

So you want to destroy the United Kingdom?

Surely not wanting your country to break up is a "strong and cohesive reason" to oppose the creation of an English parliament?
yawn
Precisely!

Do you wish for the breakup of the United Kingdom (this is a genuine question since I see a lot of left wingers wishing for each part of the UK to 'gang their ain gait').
Reply 13
Lord Waddell
at least the colonels and landowners had the public interest at heart.

Do they? Are you sure that it is not their own interests they have at heart?

And if not, where is your evidence?
Reply 14
yawn
Precisely!

You're not making much sense.
Reply 15
Lord Waddell
Do you wish for the breakup of the United Kingdom (this is a genuine question since I see a lot of left wingers wishing for each part of the UK to 'gang their ain gait').

I can see the merits of each element of the UK having their own devolved parliaments and determing their own futures. However, if they do so, this should disqualify them from having any say in ours!

There are areas of England that do want the same sort of autonomy that both Scotland and Wales enjoy - why not have Shire devolvement?
--------------
zooropa
You're not making much sense.

I have elaborated on #16 - our posts 'crossed'. :smile:
if it aint broke...
yawn
Do they? Are you sure that it is not their own interests they have at heart?

And if not, where is your evidence?

Because that is the way they are brought up, and certainly retired military men have spent their lives looking after the nation. Certainly in my area the old county council provided disinterested and efficient local government in the public interest and at a minimum of expense. In my county they didn't get paid or have expenses for example.
Reply 18
DanGrover
if it aint broke...

The fact that Scotland and Wales have their own assemblies might lead to one thinking that the union with England is breaking up.
yawn
The fact that Scotland and Wales have their own assemblies might lead to one thinking that the union with England is breaking up.

On the other hand it could strengthen the Union, since a little loosening of ties often makes for a more cohesive relationship. For example, the USA. Had the USA been a centralised state, then many of the states would have been independant.

Latest

Trending

Trending