The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Cinqueta
Look through the underlined parts and tell me that higher English wouldn't have been beneficial to you or to everyone else. Hopefully you don't write like that in essays, job applications and education applications.

i actually should have put inb4 grammar nazi

i knew someone would point this out. its the internet, perfect punctuation is not something i pay attention to on a forum.
Reply 21
Original post by SumTingWong
lrn2read

ive mentioned before, that the skills you are referring to are important but they are taught at standard grade level. so you can pick up those skills from that, but higher is all about critical analysis of text.

higher maths develops the skills useful in everyday life and essential when going into a career.

No, it really doesn't. It teaches you complex maths which has no baring on any facet of every day life. I have not used GCSE maths, let alone A level maths.

Furthermore, you're ****ing kidding if you think those skills are taught at Standard/GCSE level. You know that more and more universities are forcing people to take basic essay writing courses because they don't have the right level of skills needed for university work? GCSE/Standard level teach you **** all. You get the basic ideas of forming arguments; you're not taught about referencing; punctuation and grammar count for **** all in the mark scheme; you're only given the very basics.

I can see why you don't enjoy it, though, you can't even grasp you're being taught various skills through the medium of critical analysis.
Reply 22
Original post by Smack
My school was the same: English was compulsory for all fifth years, whether they do intermediate 2 or higher. I only got a 3 at standard grade because I totally couldn't be arsed with literature so I had to do intermediate 2 in fifth year. It was quite easy and I got an A.

I actually chose to continue studying it to higher in sixth year, although I can't quite remember why. I think it was because I used to believe that it was needed at higher level to study at university - but that's obviously bullcrap, it's certainly not needed to study engineering. Although higher English wasn't so bad. It was actually quite enjoyable discussing the plays and texts in class. But, again, I couldn't be arsed reading the longer novels or doing the quote mining required to get really good essay grades, so I only got a B at higher.

I certainly won't use anything I've ever learned in an English classroom in real life but it was a fine change from maths and physics and computing. I don't think it should be compulsory, though, since at higher and even intermediate it's about so much more than just being able to spell correctly and use proper grammar. The "critical analysis" skills you are supposed to learn from it should be present in every semi-intelligent person.

I agree that so many struggle with basic maths today and this hampers them in their job and their financial life. But I still don't think that this means that higher maths should be compulsory because, just like higher English is about more than just being able to spell, higher maths is about more than being able to count correctly. The people who suck at maths to the point where they can't get their finances right would have left school before highers anyway, and if they didn't, they would have failed or got a 5 or 6 at standard grade.

i reckon i could have got better grades in my highers if i didnt have to do higher english. I ended up having to devote a month just to constantly churn out critical essays so i could have something memorised for the exam, and even then i just got a B in it.
Reply 23
i actually should have put inb4 grammar nazi

i knew someone would point this out. its the internet, perfect punctuation is not something i pay attention to on a forum.

You say that maths is more applicable in everyday life. I have never used trigonometry, completing the square, factorising, quadratics, standard deviation or differentiation in everyday life, which is what I learnt at GCSE and what I am currently learning in A-level.

I constantly use a wide range of vocabulary and speaking skills I learned from English class in everyday life. Of course maths is important, but really day to day the only maths you need is to be able to add up supermarket prices in your head or decide which baked bean offer is the best value for money.

I do A-level maths and A-level English literature before you say "You're probably crap at maths so you hate on it".
TBF I don't think I have to use any maths in my day-to-day life that I learnt after year 3, except for that time I was in a store and the cheese was priced at x=y+5 and I had to work out the price...oh no wait, that didn't happen. I do however, have to write amazing and detailed essays to get a good degree :wink:
Reply 25
It depends on your job to which is more important, but either way they both are the most important out all subjects.
Reply 26
It's so subjective but that doesn't stop me from calling you a naive student :yes:

Both Mathematics and English are equally integral to your education whether you like it or not and whether you realise the benefits or not.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yeah but Maths helps you learn to approach situations with a logical throught process so you are able to see all the potential ways to solve a situation and things like that. Maths is the highest form of communication because unlike languages, it is universal.
Reply 28
Original post by Hylean
No, it really doesn't. It teaches you complex maths which has no baring on any facet of every day life. I have not used GCSE maths, let alone A level maths.

Furthermore, you're ****ing kidding if you think those skills are taught at Standard/GCSE level. You know that more and more universities are forcing people to take basic essay writing courses because they don't have the right level of skills needed for university work? GCSE/Standard level teach you **** all. You get the basic ideas of forming arguments; you're not taught about referencing; punctuation and grammar count for **** all in the mark scheme; you're only given the very basics.

I can see why you don't enjoy it, though, you can't even grasp you're being taught various skills through the medium of critical analysis.

essential essay skills are taught at standard grade. put it this way, in higher english we only had one chance to write a discursive essay regarding our work experience and what skills we gained from that etc... and i got an A for that essay, even though we're not taught skills for basic essay writing in higher we are taught it in standard grade. higher was all about the analysis of novels, poems and newspaper articles.

and accept it or not, but the skills you gain from a-level maths are much more far reaching than just 'complex numbers'.
im not referring to speaking the language, im referring to english taught at a-level or higher. I've never had to apply critical analysis to anything i've read since i finished school. When i read a book i dont write a huge ****in essay about the thinking process of the author or the connotations used in the book.

I do read a lot of books, but ive never had to apply anything i learnt in higher english to it.

I know you weren't, I was referring to the actual written part of English. Think grammar and punctuation... you're using it all the time.
Reply 30
not necessarily, maths doesnt just help you to learn specific examples individually, but also give you valuable problem solving and numerical reasoning skills transferable to practical situations.

English helps you learn how to analysis and such which is very useful. Tbh you won't ever end this debate. At the end of the day both are equally important in life.
You don't learn grammar or vocabulary in GCSE English/English Lit.
Reply 32
Original post by Cinqueta
You say that maths is more applicable in everyday life. I have never used trigonometry, completing the square, factorising, quadratics, standard deviation or differentiation in everyday life, which is what I learnt at GCSE and what I am currently learning in A-level.

I constantly use a wide range of vocabulary and speaking skills I learned from English class in everyday life. Of course maths is important, but really day to day the only maths you need is to be able to add up supermarket prices in your head or decide which baked bean offer is the best value for money.

I do A-level maths and A-level English literature before you say "You're probably crap at maths so you hate on it".

again, as i said before its not about the specific things taught in maths. stuff like integration, complex numbers will be more useful for someone doing a degree involving maths; but the skills taught through these topics are applicable to life, and will be necessary when faced with a problem.

Original post by SpiritedAway
TBF I don't think I have to use any maths in my day-to-day life that I learnt after year 3, except for that time I was in a store and the cheese was priced at x=y+5 and I had to work out the price...oh no wait, that didn't happen. I do however, have to write amazing and detailed essays to get a good degree :wink:

but thats what im saying; by all means do a-level/higher english if you need it for your degree since it is relevant to that, but it shouldnt be compulsary on everyone. standard grade/gcse english and maths should be compulsory. higher/a-level maths should also be compulsory.
lrn2read

ive mentioned before, that the skills you are referring to are important but they are taught at standard grade level. so you can pick up those skills from that, but higher is all about critical analysis of text.

higher maths develops the skills useful in everyday life and essential when going into a career.

But that can be said of higher maths as well. There's nothing in higher maths that's useful in day to day lives that we didn't learn in Int 2/SG as well.

IMO, English is more useful. English as a subject, at higher, required much more problem solving and critical analysis (which are both high skills) whereas higher maths was pretty much "teacher tells us equation/method, do 10000 examples so that we're ready for anything that comes up in the exam".

Higher english essays are also a large step up from SG so they do teach you more useful things.
I think both subjects are over-rated personally, however I would say English is more important and utilisable in life, even if a Maths degree will earn you more.

Besides, this whole argument is pointless as the vast majority of people don't really have the choice, as we're good at one or the other but not both.
Original post by Hylean
No, it really doesn't. It teaches you complex maths which has no baring on any facet of every day life.

Yes, it does actually, given that the world is governed by physical laws which are best described using complex maths.

They are actually taught at standard grade level, although people could easily fake them seeing as, in my experience, English had by far the highest amount of memorisation and rote learning. There was a very clear formula to writing essays, lots of quotations to be memorised, and plenty of buzzwords to add in. So it's not surprising that "more and more universities are forcing people to take basic essay writing courses" when instead of actually learning the skills of argumentation, reasoning and essay writing they can just memorise some quotes and some words to describe these quotes. In fact I think you'd have to be pretty stupid to attempt a higher English essay exam without having a very clear outline of what you're going to write, what quotes you're going to use, and what clever sounding words you're going to use to describe them.

And maths teaches you a huge amount of logic and problem solving skills, through the medium of maths of course. :wink:
Original post by xnatalie01x
Never even my life will I be using quadratic equations and square roots again. English you use everyday.

Therefore I disagree :smile:

You may use mathematics more sparingly than you may use English, but I guarantee you that a knowledge of basic algebra, geometry, mathematical techniques, et al is essential to being an intellectually empowered individual in society, and this is coming from someone who never liked maths, was/is average at it, and doesn't like doing even basic statistics modules at uni.
Reply 37
again, as i said before its not about the specific things taught in maths. stuff like integration, complex numbers will be more useful for someone doing a degree involving maths; but the skills taught through these topics are applicable to life, and will be necessary when faced with a problem.

Tell me these skills taught through these topics that are applicable to life. For instance I know how to solve the inequality 3x + 15 < 24, but there's no way I've ever used that in everyday life. I have however used the extended vocabulary and speaking skills in everyday life that I learnt from English class.
Original post by battycatlady
Yeah but Maths helps you learn to approach situations with a logical throught process so you are able to see all the potential ways to solve a situation and things like that. Maths is the highest form of communication because unlike languages, it is universal.

That bold part is utterly pointless to this discussion. Yes, maths may be universal but unfortunately, for the most part, the universe is not written in "maths" in every day to day life.

essential essay skills are taught at standard grade. put it this way, in higher english we only had one chance to write a discursive essay regarding our work experience and what skills we gained from that etc... and i got an A for that essay, even though we're not taught skills for basic essay writing in higher we are taught it in standard grade. higher was all about the analysis of novels, poems and newspaper articles.

and accept it or not, but the skills you gain from a-level maths are much more far reaching than just 'complex numbers'.

Yes, maths may teach you how to solve a situation, and look at various ways at a problem but english manages to do that as well. The crux of your argument is pretty much that "maths teaches you skills like logic, problem solving whereas English only makes you analyse books". How is that any different to "English teaches you how to think and develop an arguement whereas Maths only teaches you how to integrate". Both statements are flawed.

In my experience, english allowed me to think more around a problem whilst maths was much more set structured, in terms of teaching and freedom to think.

Conclusion: Both are equally important.

/end debate.
Reply 39
im not referring to speaking the language, im referring to english taught at a-level or higher. I've never had to apply critical analysis to anything i've read since i finished school. When i read a book i dont write a huge ****in essay about the thinking process of the author or the connotations used in the book.

I do read a lot of books, but ive never had to apply anything i learnt in higher english to it.

Pretty much everything I learnt in A-Level maths I will never need to use again.

I've never had to apply integration, advanced trig or anything else you learn to an everyday sitatuion. Thus by your logic maths is useless.

Latest

Trending

Trending