The Student Room Group

GCSE Subjects to go to medical school

Hi All,My son wants to do medicine.Can someone please let us know the list of GCSE subjects he should be choosing? Below is the list of GCSE subjects from his schoolhttps://drive.google.com/.../1Jh0x_zxXYEvVP.../viewThank you
GCSE subjects that he needs to do well in are the core subjects (Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics), as well as his other options. He would need to have a minimum of a 6 or a B for the core subjects of his GCSE results.

I'd recommend he chooses what he enjoys and is interested in, in order to enjoy what he learns and therefore will be more likely to do well in them. But if he isn't sure of what to pick, even after to talking to other people who have taken the subjects or looking up what he will be doing in his courses, maybe he could go for subjects that he is currently doing well in or prefers the exam styles of.

If he were to do A-Levels after GCSEs, he would have to take Chemistry, and at least accompany it with one of Biology, Physics, or Maths in order to get into med school. (people that I know who are planning to go to med school generally are taking chemistry and biology and another a-level of their choice)
(edited 1 year ago)
He will need to take and do well in:

English Language and Literature
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

The rest of his choices should be whatever he enjoys. At GCSE the subject choice isn't very important per se, but rather getting high grades.
I'd recommend he take Physical education and Philosophy as they are often a little related to medicine and healthcare and might be useful.

For A-Level most universities require Chemistry with another 2 sciences or Maths, others may require Biology with another 2 sciences or maths
The A-Level choice which is most common among students who receive offers is Chemistry, Biology, Maths. Some may choose to take a 4th subject they are interested in to show they are well rounded but this is not really necessary most of the time.
Reply 3
Original post by leyear12student
He will need to take and do well in:

English Language and Literature
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

The rest of his choices should be whatever he enjoys. At GCSE the subject choice isn't very important per se, but rather getting high grades.
I'd recommend he take Physical education and Philosophy as they are often a little related to medicine and healthcare and might be useful.

For A-Level most universities require Chemistry with another 2 sciences or Maths, others may require Biology with another 2 sciences or maths
The A-Level choice which is most common among students who receive offers is Chemistry, Biology, Maths. Some may choose to take a 4th subject they are interested in to show they are well rounded but this is not really necessary most of the time.

PE and Philospophy will add nothing over music and DT (or any other 2 GCSEs), so core subjects plus those someone is most likely to do well in.
Only 1 med school requires 3 sciences at A level. Chem, bio and any other A level will be fine for all except Cambridge.
I’d agree that the core subjects of maths, English language, and the three sciences are most important. I did GCSE PE and found the physiology stuff interesting and vaguely medicine related which made me happy, but it’s not necessarily a leg up on a med application - some unis may feel that having studied a language or an arts subject gives a ‘more rounded’ applicant.

Basically A level choices are far more important than GCSE subjects so he should do what he enjoys and is good at. If he’s making GCSE subject choices then he’s probably in year 8 and might well change his mind on his future career aspirations - he might want to do computer science or marine biology or psychology by the time he gets to the stage of applying for university.
Original post by bob_75
Hi All,My son wants to do medicine.Can someone please let us know the list of GCSE subjects he should be choosing? Below is the list of GCSE subjects from his schoolhttps://drive.google.com/.../1Jh0x_zxXYEvVP.../viewThank you

Doing well in english and maths is important and I’d recommend triple science but other than that, just focusing on doing good in all his subjects will serve him well
Original post by bob_75

All medical schools seem to want chemistry and biology is helpful. Check where he wants to study as some still want 3 science or maths but newer medical schools like Sunderland take other subjects so if he is attracted to these you can do non science subjects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending