The Student Room Group

Should I do BSC or BEng in civil engineering?

What does it mean? Does it matter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, the Bsc is undergraduate therefore it is a three year course and the BEng is an undergraduate degree with a masters on top of that (4 years). Up to you how far you want to take it really.
Reply 2
but it says BEng 3 years.. in many courses?
Reply 3
Original post by smile09
Well, the Bsc is undergraduate therefore it is a three year course and the BEng is an undergraduate degree with a masters on top of that (4 years). Up to you how far you want to take it really.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is very wrong. Both BSc and BEng are batchelor degrees - 3 year courses.

As for the actual difference between a BSc and a BEng, I'm not too sure myself, but I would check for accreditation if you choose the BSc - virtually all engineering degrees have 'Eng' as opposed to 'Sc' so treat that course with caution. As a side note, an MEng is quickly becoming the industry standard so that would be the preferred option
(edited 13 years ago)
I was wondering what the difference was as well. I want to do a niche course of Engineering though so there isn't really that many M/BEngs dotted about! Going to watch this thread for any advice that may crop up :'D
Original post by Peel
Don't take this the wrong way, but this is very wrong. Both BSc and BEng are batchelor degrees - 3 year courses.

As for the actual difference between a BSc and a BEng, I'm not too sure myself, but I would check for accreditation if you choose the BSc - virtually all engineering degrees have 'Eng' as opposed to 'Sc' so treat that course with caution. As a side note, an MEng is quickly becoming the industry standard so that would be the preferred option

This. From what I've seen at the universities I've looked at, the BSc was the unaccredited "lite" option, whereas the BEng was the fully accredited, "proper" engineering degree.

And also 100% correct about the MEng fast becoming the industry standard. I don't see why anyone would want to graduate with a BEng, unless they weren't able for the MEng, in which case a BEng is obviously better than nothing and can be rectified in an MSc.
Reply 6
thanks people.. any sources where I could look?
Sources for what?
Reply 8
where the information can be found. LOL
What information?
BEng is recognised - BSC is not recognised. So choose your pick?
Reply 11
How do you know that BEng is recognised and not BSC? as in what bases?
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that so long as you check to see whether it is accredited or not then it is recognised.

You can find this information on the course webpage for the university you want to apply for.

I'll give an example, Southampton University's Acoustical Engineering course reads that it is accredited by the 'Institution of Mechanical Engineers' and also the 'Institute of Acoustics'. It says it meets the educational requirements for the CEng status. That's the sort of thing you want to look out for, obviously I pretty much doubt you're applying to Acoustics like I am because nobody I know is applying to it other than one other person from my college XD. But for Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, etc it should be pretty much the same.
Original post by smile09

lol

Wrong.
You probably want to stick with a BEng if you want to move into Engineering.

From what I've been told at my university, BSc courses aren't seen as serious engineering courses by industry.
Courses which are meant to be BSc courses, but are currently BEng courses will be changed to BSc courses to show the difference.
Reply 15
Original post by Smack
This. From what I've seen at the universities I've looked at, the BSc was the unaccredited "lite" option, whereas the BEng was the fully accredited, "proper" engineering degree.

And also 100% correct about the MEng fast becoming the industry standard. I don't see why anyone would want to graduate with a BEng, unless they weren't able for the MEng, in which case a BEng is obviously better than nothing and can be rectified in an MSc.

I scored a first class in my first year on the BEng, and am fully capable of transferring to the MEng but I don't want to. I'm more inclined towards research when I graduate, so I will probably take up an MRes/MPhil/MSc or even PhD/EngD by time I graduate with my BEng. I guess that's one reason why someone would opt for the BEng as opposed to MEng.
Reply 16
on ucas you can tick an option saying showonly accredited courses in what ever field your interested in
Original post by Dorian10
I scored a first class in my first year on the BEng, and am fully capable of transferring to the MEng but I don't want to. I'm more inclined towards research when I graduate, so I will probably take up an MRes/MPhil/MSc or even PhD/EngD by time I graduate with my BEng. I guess that's one reason why someone would opt for the BEng as opposed to MEng.

And you can still do a PhD/DEng and go into research with an MEng.
Reply 18
BSc is Bachelors in Science which is generally the title of degrees of science courses eg physics, anatomy, chemistry etc etc

BEng is Bachelors in Engineering which is the undergraduate degree title of any engineering degree.

You can only do a BEng in civil engineering and not a BSc
Original post by bluemax
BSc is Bachelors in Science which is generally the title of degrees of science courses eg physics, anatomy, chemistry etc etc

BEng is Bachelors in Engineering which is the undergraduate degree title of any engineering degree.

You can only do a BEng in civil engineering and not a BSc

No, there are BScs in engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest