The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Well time for me to add my bit in,

I'm Stuart 25 years old (so I'm guessing to some that puts me in the young end of mature studentum) I'm hoping to get onto an access course (English and Media) at MANCAT for September and then from there uni doing either Media or Graphic Design.

I'm lucky in that I have no children and a partner who has been working himself half to death in order to get us into a position that will allow me to return back to studying and finally get my life onto a track that I've always wanted it to be rather than the car crash that it has been for the last 10 years.

To say things have been colourful is an understatement, and I will admit there is a huge part of me that is thinking, what the frak are you thinking Stu. But I've come to realise that I need to do this for me as much as any other reason, and hell as so many others on here are testement to, you are never to old (or young) to re-evaluate everything and move the course of your life.

Stu
Reply 181
Hi everyone,

I'm Hayley. I'm 23 (24 next month) and I have 2 children aged 4 and the other is 7 months. I applied to start university last September and at roughly the same time that I found out I had been offered an unconditional place I found out I was pregnant, so in the end I decided to defer for a year.

I will be studying Media, Culture and Society at Hull University. I'm looking forward to the challenge of being a full time student and mum. It has been 5 years since I've been in education so I'm very nervous about going back but hope I'll get back into it quickly and enjoy my 3 years at uni.

x Hayley x
Hey Hayley, I know many people in my class who has children and I really admire them doing both jobs.. to be a mum/dad and ft student. All the best with uni.
Reply 183
Thanks Vikki, its good to know I'm not alone as a student and parent. :smile:
Reply 184
Hey!

So, I'm 27 and going to Bath Spa to do Creative Writing and Film and Screen. We got a bonus at work which wiped my credit card, so I thought I would use the chance to go to Uni which is something I have been wanting to do for ages. I don't have a specific career in mind, I just want to do something I'll enjoy and get a degree...I have just finished the first year in english lit part time, but thought I would like to try something more creative...truthfully I am petrified....then excited....then petrified....then worried I am making a mistake....then excited...2 months ish left of work WOOHOO I can't wait to finish and be a student! x :biggrin:
Reply 185
hi i'm kelly and i'm 23. Studying forensic biology at portsmouth university, just finished my second year. I'm engaged to a guy called adam whose 25 and also at the university studying marine biology.
Hi everyone!
My name is Laura, from Manchester, I'm starting an access course in Social Science in Sept, can't wait!!! I'm hoping to go to Uni to study Psychology next year. At 26 I'm doing what i should have done years ago and studying to get a decent career! yey!!:smile:
Reply 187
Hi everyone! Yay, loads of other mature students to talk to....
I'm Sarah, 28 years old, have just finished an Access to Science Course and am going on to study Animal Behaviour at Sheffield university.....am excited but also terrified, is good to know there are so many others who feel the same and am not on my own.:biggrin:
Reply 188
Hi all!

I apologise for wading into threads before introducing myself! I've just noticed this. :redface:

I'm 36 and have just finished my second year at Worcester Uni. I did an access course part time first and can highly recommend them - it prepared me very well.

I am married with three children (two still at home) and thoroughly enjoy being a mature student. Although I don't usually say that when I'm up to my eyeballs in assignments! :p:

Anyway, looking forward to meeting you all. I can't believe I registered so long ago and have not been back since!
Hey

Im Adam, will be 26 in September and will be starting Uni at Hatfield studying Automotive engineering with motorsport.

Currently working for a construction company as a CAD draughtsman but have had ties with motorsport for most of my life. I've tried to stay out of making a career in the field but i cant so am going to get a piece of paper saying i'm clever so that i can go back to work in an industry i like.
Hi
I'm Carly, i'm the grand old age of 27, married to a wonderful man (without his support I would have given up a long time ago) and have 2 children aged 6 & 4.

I've just completed my social sciences access course & now i'm off to Liverpool university in September to start a politics degree.

I feel very very excited but also very very scared (mostly self-doubt about whether i'm clever enough!)

It's nice to know that there are others in the same situation as myself, and plenty of shoulders to lean on. Anyway I wish everyone all the luck in the world with whatever they are choosing to do. :smile:
Hi,
I'm Laura. I'm 36 and anxiously awaiting my results for my Biology and Chemistry A levels. Hopefully I'm off to Kings College London in September to do a four year Dietetics and Nutrition degree. I'm an accountant at the moment and can't wait to escape!
Hello everyone!

I'm Jenny, 23 years old, from Vienna, Austria. I'm off to University of Southampton in september to do Management with Entrepreneurship. I've been working my ass off for the last 3 years, having not much time for going out and having fun, so I can't wait to go to uni, making new friends and hopefully having the best time of my live!
Reply 193
Hi all!

I'm Saija and I'm from Finland. I'm not technically a mature student because I'm 20 when my course (Law) begins in Manchester this Autumn. I've been working for the past years and lately as a deputy store manager in Finland.

I'm really waiting to start studies again because honestly, I couldn't work in a store for the rest of my life or even the next year. I'll be moving to uni accommodation in Sept and a bit worried how I'll manage with all the teens there :s-smilie:
I'm Tim, 24, studying at the University of Lincoln. Just about to go into the second year of a Web Technology BSc, which will be my fourth year at university overall. This forum seems like a really great resource and I hope I'll be able to provide advice to you all and vice versa!
Hi I'm Kelly 30 from Barbados, studying forensic psychology at Staffordshire University in September. I was enrolled at the University of the West Indies Cave Hill Campus doing a general psychology programme and didn't feel challenged enough. I'm really looking forward to my time in England.. It won't be hottttt and sunny like it is here in the Caribbean but i'm looking forward to the change in weather, I think I just might enjoy it.
Reply 196
hi all

My name is Kathy, I'm 33 and i'm mum to 3. Just finished Access (combined) and hopefully going to Glamorgan or Newport to study Early Years/Education.

Didn't have the confidence to apply to uni by Jan after only starting access in sept but enjoyed access so much and gained loads of confidence so don't want it to be a waste so have now applied. :eek:

Will let you all know if i get in!!

kathy
Reply 197
Good luck! x:smile:
best of luck hun! :smile:
Reply 199
hey everyone im another one posting everywhere without introducing my self

i kaz and im 22 as you can see by my sig im starting heriot watt in oct and i cant wait. have been married nearly 4 years but very happy

hope to chat to some of you

kaz :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending