The Student Room Group

US Transfer Student Accommodation

Hello Everone!

I am a composer currently studying at an undergraduate level at a community college in Southern California and I recently completed my transfer applications/auditions to various institutions across the globe.

I am happy to say I have several competing offers that I am heavily considering at various institutions, but one of my main concerns about studying in the UK is housing.

With the way the community college system works in the US, I would likely be entering as a year 2 student, aged 20 then 21 in November.

I think I would like to live in a student housing complex that houses students from various institutions since I feel it would be easier to get to know people from all around the Globe, and I wouldn't have to deal with only music majors since at times I have found it absolutely insane lol.

Regardless, my main question would be: Is it out of place for a 20-21-year-old to live in this type of accommodation alongside other, likely younger undergraduate students? I know it is more common after the first year to find private housing, but since I would be moving across the globe, I feel like being in one of these houses would prove best for me socially.

Any help or advise is welcome and thank you so much in advance!
Original post by Aiden1468
Hello Everone!

I am a composer currently studying at an undergraduate level at a community college in Southern California and I recently completed my transfer applications/auditions to various institutions across the globe.

I am happy to say I have several competing offers that I am heavily considering at various institutions, but one of my main concerns about studying in the UK is housing.

With the way the community college system works in the US, I would likely be entering as a year 2 student, aged 20 then 21 in November.

I think I would like to live in a student housing complex that houses students from various institutions since I feel it would be easier to get to know people from all around the Globe, and I wouldn't have to deal with only music majors since at times I have found it absolutely insane lol.

Regardless, my main question would be: Is it out of place for a 20-21-year-old to live in this type of accommodation alongside other, likely younger undergraduate students? I know it is more common after the first year to find private housing, but since I would be moving across the globe, I feel like being in one of these houses would prove best for me socially.

UK student accommodation is normally not provided for the full course unlike in the US. Usually it's just for the first year and thereafter students live "out" in private accommodation - Oxford and Cambridge are the major exceptions. It's sometimes possible to live in student accommodation (called "halls") after first year but they normally prioritise new first year students although international students and "mature" students (aged over 21 at the start of the degree programme there) also often get additional priority.

In any event you get all range of ages living there as it's not uncommon for students to start uni after a gap year or two (being 19 or 20) or being a "mature" student aged 21 or over (which could be 21-25, or even much older). Also often masters students, PhD students etc who may be older (although PhDs often end up living in postgrad specific accom or go into private accommodation directly so as not to have to live with freshers).
Reply 2
Original post by Aiden1468
Hello Everone!

Hi Aiden,
I'm from San Diego and just returned from 2 years in London. Student accommodation is the way to go. If your rent a flat from an individual, as I did my first year, you'll have to take a 12 month lease whereas with student buildings you can rent for 10 months. Also you'll find heating costs in the winter are crazy if you rent an individual flat. In student buildings utilities and internet are included and often other amenities like a gym, game room, movie room, etc. Our building had a piano, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending