The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philip-flop
Wow, that's incredible! Did you have to do UKCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT? Also what's the difference between the three as I honestly don't know haha :tongue:

What made you want to study medicine?

I actually wanted to medicine when I was young, that was my first 'academic passion' so to speak, but I was put off by the length of training and wasn't sure it was something I could make a decision on at that age. I think for this reason the US system is so much better with regards to medical school applications. I chose Economics because it's respected and very versatile. Didn't enjoy the finance industry so I decided to do something that I always wanted to study, and the GEM programs are good because they force you to do a lot of work experience, which I feel allows a person to really get a grasp on whether medicine is suited for you.

UKCAT is solely aptitude based.

BMAT is sort of GCSE science knowledge and similar in principle to the GAMSAT. The GAMSAT is more A level knowledge to degree level organic chemistry. It's a horrible exam in terms of mental endurance. You go to the test centre sort of 8AM ish and lead around 4 or 5, with a one hour lunch break.
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
I actually wanted to medicine when I was young, that was my first 'academic passion' so to speak, but I was put off by the length of training and wasn't sure it was something I could make a decision on at that age. I think for this reason the US system is so much better with regards to medical school applications. I chose Economics because it's respected and very versatile. Didn't enjoy the finance industry so I decided to do something that I always wanted to study, and the GEM programs are good because they force you to do a lot of work experience, which I feel allows a person to really get a grasp on whether medicine is suited for you.

UKCAT is solely aptitude based.

BMAT is sort of GCSE science knowledge and similar in principle to the GAMSAT. The GAMSAT is more A level knowledge to degree level organic chemistry. It's a horrible exam in terms of mental endurance. You go to the test centre sort of 8AM ish and lead around 4 or 5, with a one hour lunch break.

Oh I see. Yeah working in finance isn't for everyone I guess!

Oh wow GAMSAT sounds the most difficult of the three. Which one did you end up doing? Did you mainly rely on your previous knowledge of Science subjects, I assume you must have done Science based subjects at A-level?
Oh I see. Yeah working in finance isn't for everyone I guess!

Oh wow GAMSAT sounds the most difficult of the three. Which one did you end up doing? Did you mainly rely on your previous knowledge of Science subjects, I assume you must have done Science based subjects at A-level?

I did the GAMSAT. I didn't do any science A levels so I had to do it all from scratch - I actually enjoyed learning the sciences. The one massive bonus is that scientific knowledge stays with you and you can apply it in the future which gave me more motivation to really know the stuff. Unlike my Economics degree it was cram, then a few weeks after the exam, I had no idea what I had just learnt lol.
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
I did the GAMSAT. I didn't do any science A levels so I had to do it all from scratch - I actually enjoyed learning the sciences. The one massive bonus is that scientific knowledge stays with you and you can apply it in the future which gave me more motivation to really know the stuff. Unlike my Economics degree it was cram, then a few weeks after the exam, I had no idea what I had just learnt lol.

From scratch?! Bet that was difficult! Do you have to self-teach the content for GAMSAT? If so, how?

Sorry about all the questions!!
Just get the books out and get reading. I actually found it pretty enjoyable. Watch a bunch of youtube videos, get some books loan some out from the library.
Looking for advice..

So I've just finished self-teaching 2 A-levels (Maths and Biology) and wanted to see what kind of grades I could achieve. Unfortunately I completely flopped on two modules for Maths. Also, I'm a bit sceptical about Biology as it is under the new linear A-level system so the grade boundaries are a bit of a mystery but I like to think I've done fairly well! It's been an extremely difficult year for me as my Dad was in hospital for 3 months due to inflammation of his large bowel which he had to undergo surgery to have it removed, and the aftermath from this whole procedure has disrupted the lives of everyone in the family as we have been the ones who have had to look after/help him. Anyway, I'm not here to explain my sob story but am in need of friendly advice.

I seem to have taken an interest in the human eye having briefly covered a few topics during A-level Biology (it's a shame that no questions were actually asked about this topic in any of the exams despite it being on the syllabus as I did a lot of studying for it, oh well). This has lead me to believe that Optometry is the kind of course I would happily pursue if I was given the chance to study it at University! Either that, or another health-related degree.

I have done a little bit of research into Optometry and hear that the courses are always saturated with applications and there is a huge influx of graduates within the field which likely means it is difficult to find work for your pre-reg year after finishing the degree. The shear amount of applications for the course means there is a lot of competition and that universities have become stricter with their entry requirements in order to reduce applications.

My question is, what alternatives are there to study Optometry as a mature student besides traditional A-level grades?

I would suggest looking at which unis offer the course you want (have you thought of orthoptics too?) and then contact admissions directly.
Before applying ask for their honest appraisal and advice, (I used the phrase 'I don't want to waste your time (and mine) by applying if there is no chance of acceptance':wink: and then go to an open day and talk to the admissions tutor (the one who actually makes the decisions). Follow their advice, let your passion shine through and you may well find that even on a massively over-subscribed course, your life skills will carry you a long way. The mature student entry requirements are often very different to those requested of the standard school leaver and quite often unis will ask mature applicants to do an assignment or assessment to make sure that they're capable of returning to study.

Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
...My question is, what alternatives are there to study Optometry as a mature student besides traditional A-level grades?

Prelim year maybe? Google says they exist, check entry requirements though. I've seen people talking about them on here sometimes too, might be worth searching the forum.
Original post by Haresleap
I would suggest looking at which unis offer the course you want (have you thought of orthoptics too?) and then contact admissions directly.
Before applying ask for their honest appraisal and advice, (I used the phrase 'I don't want to waste your time (and mine) by applying if there is no chance of acceptance':wink: and then go to an open day and talk to the admissions tutor (the one who actually makes the decisions). Follow their advice, let your passion shine through and you may well find that even on a massively over-subscribed course, your life skills will carry you a long way. The mature student entry requirements are often very different to those requested of the standard school leaver and quite often unis will ask mature applicants to do an assignment or assessment to make sure that they're capable of returning to study.

Good luck!

Thank you! :smile:

Did you return to education as a mature student? If so, what did you study?

Original post by AmeliaLost
Prelim year maybe? Google says they exist, check entry requirements though. I've seen people talking about them on here sometimes too, might be worth searching the forum.

Thank you so much!

It seems like Cardiff is the only university that offer a Preliminary year though :frown: Think I should probably talk to each university individually tbh.
Thank you! :smile:

Did you return to education as a mature student? If so, what did you study?

Yes, I'm 53 and starting at De Montfort this year to do Creative Writing :smile: I am SO excited. I didn't do a degree first time round (I was a chiropodist for a long time and it was a diploma when I qualified) and my A and O levels were from the 80s, so I was asked to complete a 4 part assignment as part of the application process. Fortunately they want me and I'm going to spend the next 3 years writing stories.

Good luck with your application - do chat to the places you fancy going to, I found everyone I approached really helpful.

Yes, I'm 53 and starting at De Montfort this year to do Creative Writing :smile: I am SO excited. I didn't do a degree first time round (I was a chiropodist for a long time and it was a diploma when I qualified) and my A and O levels were from the 80s, so I was asked to complete a 4 part assignment as part of the application process. Fortunately they want me and I'm going to spend the next 3 years writing stories.

Good luck with your application - do chat to the places you fancy going to, I found everyone I approached really helpful.

Amazing! Congrats to you!

Without it sounding too personal, do you have any kids/family? Is your chosen university somewhere local to you? Do you have any financial responsibilities?
Looking for advice..

So I've just finished self-teaching 2 A-levels (Maths and Biology) and wanted to see what kind of grades I could achieve. Unfortunately I completely flopped on two modules for Maths. Also, I'm a bit sceptical about Biology as it is under the new linear A-level system so the grade boundaries are a bit of a mystery but I like to think I've done fairly well! It's been an extremely difficult year for me as my Dad was in hospital for 3 months due to inflammation of his large bowel which he had to undergo surgery to have it removed, and the aftermath from this whole procedure has disrupted the lives of everyone in the family as we have been the ones who have had to look after/help him. Anyway, I'm not here to explain my sob story but am in need of friendly advice.

I seem to have taken an interest in the human eye having briefly covered a few topics during A-level Biology (it's a shame that no questions were actually asked about this topic in any of the exams despite it being on the syllabus as I did a lot of studying for it, oh well). This has lead me to believe that Optometry is the kind of course I would happily pursue if I was given the chance to study it at University! Either that, or another health-related degree.

I have done a little bit of research into Optometry and hear that the courses are always saturated with applications and there is a huge influx of graduates within the field which likely means it is difficult to find work for your pre-reg year after finishing the degree. The shear amount of applications for the course means there is a lot of competition and that universities have become stricter with their entry requirements in order to reduce applications.

My question is, what alternatives are there to study Optometry as a mature student besides traditional A-level grades?

Sorry you've had such a rough year! Have you thought about trying to get some work experience or volunteering at all to see what sort of thing you might enjoy? Or even something like a receptionist job somewhere and ask them if you can have a look round/help with anything anytime it's a bit quieter. Your other option is a more general first degree as someone else said, like biomedical sciences for example or even just straight biology. This has the disadvantage of being a longer and more expensive route though so I don't know how you feel about that. Have a look at different job profiles and what's around and wait and see what happens on results day- you might just be pleasantly surprised! You can always resit a couple of modules next year if you need to. Good luck!
Original post by furryface12
Sorry you've had such a rough year! Have you thought about trying to get some work experience or volunteering at all to see what sort of thing you might enjoy? Or even something like a receptionist job somewhere and ask them if you can have a look round/help with anything anytime it's a bit quieter. Your other option is a more general first degree as someone else said, like biomedical sciences for example or even just straight biology. This has the disadvantage of being a longer and more expensive route though so I don't know how you feel about that. Have a look at different job profiles and what's around and wait and see what happens on results day- you might just be pleasantly surprised! You can always resit a couple of modules next year if you need to. Good luck!

Thank you.

Volunteering in my current position isn't exactly feasible but I understand why you are suggesting it. The thing is, you don't truly know the true pro and cons of a job/career unless you work it. So it's difficult to tell whether it's worth using any holidays etc just to volunteer.

Yeah I have thought about doing a degree prior to Optometry but there are too many risks involved i.e. Difficulty getting funding for a second degree or not achieving a high enough grade to be accepted onto a second degree. And like you said, this way also takes longer. A huge part of me thinks that it's not worth spending 6 years of my life on two degrees. Who knows I might not even have an interest in Optometry although I do like the sound of interacting with patients and providing them with care to help improve their vision and spot any potential diseases or tumours.

Think I'll wait til results and then weigh up my options from there though.
Thank you.

Volunteering in my current position isn't exactly feasible but I understand why you are suggesting it. The thing is, you don't truly know the true pro and cons of a job/career unless you work it. So it's difficult to tell whether it's worth using any holidays etc just to volunteer.

Yeah I have thought about doing a degree prior to Optometry but there are too many risks involved i.e. Difficulty getting funding for a second degree or not achieving a high enough grade to be accepted onto a second degree. And like you said, this way also takes longer. A huge part of me thinks that it's not worth spending 6 years of my life on two degrees. Who knows I might not even have an interest in Optometry although I do like the sound of interacting with patients and providing them with care to help improve their vision and spot any potential diseases or tumours.

Think I'll wait til results and then weigh up my options from there though.

Yeah thought it might not be. It doesn't have to be much though, even just an hour a week on a saturday morning or something. Can see why you wouldn't want to though!

I can definitely understand that. It is a big risk, it could pay off but still. Do you know anyone that knows anyone in optometry that you might be able to talk to about it, or even shadow for a day or so to get a rough idea what it's like? Not perfect but could be a good happy medium! For any healthcare job tbh.

That does sound like your best option really. Hope they're better than you're expecting- good luck! :smile:
Amazing! Congrats to you!

Without it sounding too personal, do you have any kids/family? Is your chosen university somewhere local to you? Do you have any financial responsibilities?

Thank you!

I'm very fortunate as my elderly mum has moved into a council bungalow next door to me meaning that my care for her is SO much easier (I was doing a 5 - 6 hour round trip every other day up until last November, depending on the M6 traffic), my elder son has moved to Birmingham where he's working and my younger son will be starting his final year at NTU. My husband works in London and lives there during the week (so I don't have to make sure he's fed and watered lol) and I've wanted to write for as long as I can remember. I thought that if I don't do it now, I never will.
I still can't believe that Student Finance is available to me, as unless I write a best seller (fingers crossed!!) I'll never be in a position to pay it back - although with the changes to the rules I will be 87 before it's written off hahaha
I've chosen De Montfort as I can go door to door by train in an hour and 15 mins and it's the only uni locally which does a pure creative writing BA. Nottingham and Leicester are both accessible but I'd have to do English with creative writing, and as I only want to write, that wasn't for me.
I know how lucky I am to be able to do this - in fact I keep pinching myself to see if I'm not dreaming - but it is a bit of an indulgence for me. I don't 'need' to get a qualification or a job at the end of the degree, which is why I've been able to chose something which is simply for the love of it.

Going back to you, however, my career as a chiropodist was the love of my life - any healthcare profession has to be a true vocation not a job, and it sounds as if you've found your passion. AND it has amazing career prospects too.

Uni's rather like mature students as we're far less likely to drop out, have a real work ethic and don't generally turn up to lectures with a hangover (although I'm more than happy to have a virtual drinking session :smile:)
Don't give up on your dream - start emailing everywhere you like the look of and remember that they need you as much as you need them.

Good luck and do keep us posted.
On another matter entirely - how do I put a profile picture up please? Instructions in words of 1 syllable appreciated (I'm an old lady hahahaha)
On another matter entirely - how do I put a profile picture up please? Instructions in words of 1 syllable appreciated (I'm an old lady hahahaha)

Click on your name at the top and customise my profile then change my avatar :smile: they have to be under a certain size so you might have to play around a bit for it to work but hopefully will eventually!
Hi all,
I'm 42 and due to start an MSc in Applied Psychology via distance learning in September.
Previous qualifications:
BSc Anthopology
MSc Evolutionary and Comparative Psychology

Anyone on here have experience of distance learning?
Have been at open days allll weeekend. So exhausted now! Very impressed with some, intensely unimpressed with one in particular though :lol: I know where I'd like to study now, just gotta get the grades/offers! :biggrin:
Original post by furryface12
Click on your name at the top and customise my profile then change my avatar :smile: they have to be under a certain size so you might have to play around a bit for it to work but hopefully will eventually!

Thank you very much x
Original post by AmeliaLost
Have been at open days allll weeekend. So exhausted now! Very impressed with some, intensely unimpressed with one in particular though :lol: I know where I'd like to study now, just gotta get the grades/offers! :biggrin:

Where's your favourite?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending