The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alanb21
If the person wants to use the passport resource you posted to look at each target grade and see what they understand and don't then that's fine. But at grade 2 I doubt you have 'gaps' and rather a lacking of foundation which is where you have to relearn most if not all the content and at that stage the videos would be good to use in my opinion since that's what they were made for. I know that you've been teaching maths for years but so has Bicen and his A Level Further / Math teaching is clear and really helpful for me when I have gaps or when I'm learning from the start, and his GCSE videos are high quality too.

He hasn't even got a Maths degree though! The OP will have strengths at level 2 .... as I said what works for you may not be what I'd recommend to start with.
Original post by Muttley79
He hasn't even got a Maths degree though! The OP will have strengths at level 2 .... as I said what works for you may not be what I'd recommend to start with.

He's done like 5/6 A Levels and done a history degree in oxford and in one of his videos I remember hearing he's taking uni level math classes since he wants to learn more and enjoys it and has been a maths teacher for over ten years and got outstanding for his PGCE.

That's fine but I relate my self to the person we were replying to much more than the person you mentioned teaching so that's why I recommended my method which worked for me really well and many other people clearly from looking at the tens of comments on his videos saying as such.

I'm sure you're a great teacher and all but I feel like you think in a way which is most logical for a teacher to teach a student, when in reality a lot of people will not teach them selves the content that way and would much prefer resources like the videos I mentioned. Plus I've been in a college with students at grade 2 or lower and I've seen first hand how they are bored s***less because they just can't concentrate on reading the content and then doing the questions afterwards, videos are a way to help with that and Bicen's videos are good.

At this point this conversation is going in circles, the person can use whatever resource they want which will help them the most. If they use mine and it helps them more than yours or vice versa then that's all what matters and they improve.
Original post by alanb21
D

I've taught bottom set in a comp - every student passed their GCSE.

What relevance is his A levels - I've seen his stuff it's not as good as others. How on earth he even got on a PGCE without a 50% Maths degree is a mystery unexplained.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Muttley79
I've taught bottom set in a comp - every student passed their GCSE.

What relevance is his A levels - I've seen his stuff it's not as good as others. How on earth he even got on a PGCE without a 50% Maths degree is a mystery unexplained.

Good job, and if you gave Bicen's videos as a resource to your students they might of got higher or lower grades, depends on the person just like any other resource. The person we replied to is not in a school so does not have a teacher like you next to them 3-4 days a week, so again I think videos which resemble being in a class room sort of and being well explained are beneficial for THIS person.

What relevance is his A Levels? Could say the same to what relevance is his degree? If he done that many A Levels and a degree which he thought he would want to do as a career at the point at oxford then I think that at least shows he can learn the content well, and his videos shows that he can teach it well.

Looking at his linkedin I can see that he has trained tens of teachers and been head of the maths department. Added onto the fact his good resources and clear interest in maths I think clearly overrides your "How on earth he even got on a PGCE without a 50% Maths degree is a mystery unexplained"

I'm going to walk away from this conversation with you now because it's useless and going round in circles and wasting my time and I think you're living in a closed off bubble for whatever reason.
Original post by alanb21
Good job,

Teach First says it all - it's not rigorous and I spend time being seconded to help support teachers faied by Teach First. Technically you are not allowed to do a PGCE without a 50% minimum Maths degree -- he must have done a knowledge enhancement that he hasn't declared ...

I won't descend to rudeness ...
I'm giving up hope in achieving a Grade B/6-7 in English Language and Maths GCSE next month. I might ask for a refund and try get into college in September to try again.

Self studying is hard, especially when you have bad discipline, unless you guys think it might be possible to go from a Grade 3 to Grade 7/8 in English Language and Grade 4 to Grade 7/8 in Maths in a month? Otherwise I need to be realistic I think, sigh
Also, say if I fail next months GCSEs, I got a C in 2015 in both Maths and English, however if I fail these two now, will that mean that I will have to declare I havent got passes in GCSE for both Maths and English in job applications (thus having to redo them in college)
Original post by unknown9472
Also, say if I fail next months GCSEs, I got a C in 2015 in both Maths and English, however if I fail these two now, will that mean that I will have to declare I havent got passes in GCSE for both Maths and English in job applications (thus having to redo them in college)

Yes you are able to get a 6-7 Grade in a month. Either use the maths passport resource Muttley79 posted : https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports

or use Bicen Maths GCSE on youtube to just watch the videos and do the questions afterwards, or any other way you want to do it. Just get started because starting is obviously the hardest step.

However in maths, once you understand a topic do not keep doing it over and over just because you feel confident. Move on and work on other topics you find harder or didn't learn yet since you'll likely get practice other similar topics in other topics since there's a overlap.

For English language the first thing to probably do is the language techniques and then start applying them, look for resources for this yourself or go on the English Language GCSE forum to look for resources. I know BBC bitesize has some good language techniques resources.

At the end of the day it's up to you to get started and get it done, no one will be next to you holding your hand unless you pay for a tutor to be next to you 8 hours per day and even then you're the one who has to get the work done.
Original post by unknown9472
thanks, but i need to get a grade 6 minimum for Maths GCSE next month.

Not to mention, I havent even started English Language...

if you were me, what would you?

This has just come up for me again as someone repped. How did it go?
Reply 3309
Hi, I'm 27 and starting an access to health course in January to hopefully go on to study childs nursing at University. I'm having a complete career change, been putting this off for longer than I should've due to nerves
Can someone please help am 35 applying to cao but under qualifications it has GCSE do I have to put them in as mature student? Or where would I even go looking for them thank you
Hello,
I'm Brian Welliver from Michigan in the US. Hopefully in a few years I will be able to take some artistic courses somewhere in the UK. I'm an established businessman, and also 39 years old currently. Because of the nature of my hectic life which will likely only grow more hectic by the time I'm free to pursue a course or two, I doubt I will be able to stay for four years right in a row on down the line, as a normal student might. Is something done in your country? A few courses as the schedule allows? Also, as I already have a career in World Banking, Currency Exchanges, Debt Consolidation, and investment Capital, this is really just a way to broaden and enrich my life. Does my dream stand a chance? I'd like to learn to master sketches and simple ink, perhaps oil painting and other painting too. Cheers!
Reply 3312
Hi I'm 23 years old - I'm endeavouring to study medicine

My background is a Bsc in Science (Nursing) - So I'm a currently a registered nurse working in a GP clinic setting!
Original post by blackbatlogo
Hello,
I'm Brian Welliver from Michigan in the US. Hopefully in a few years I will be able to take some artistic courses somewhere in the UK. I'm an established businessman, and also 39 years old currently. Because of the nature of my hectic life which will likely only grow more hectic by the time I'm free to pursue a course or two, I doubt I will be able to stay for four years right in a row on down the line, as a normal student might. Is something done in your country? A few courses as the schedule allows? Also, as I already have a career in World Banking, Currency Exchanges, Debt Consolidation, and investment Capital, this is really just a way to broaden and enrich my life. Does my dream stand a chance? I'd like to learn to master sketches and simple ink, perhaps oil painting and other painting too. Cheers!

Just to note that UK degrees are normally 3 years when studied full time (unlike in the US where they are 4 years of course).

It's not typical to take individual courses (called modules here) from existing degree programmes usually (although a few specific settings facilitate this through e.g. life learning/continuing education offerings), however in the area of creative arts there are lots of "short courses" available - these can be run over longer periods as well but still generally tend to be referred to as "short courses".

A lot of arts focused universities and colleges offer those and since you're just paying to take them as and when you can pick ones that match what times and dates you have available ideally (and they're not likely to be fussed if you miss a session since you're paying for them). That said these aren't "graded" classes as such.

Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by Snufkin
Welcome to the Mature Students Chat thread - please do introduce yourselves and use this space to chat and/or grumble about your daily lives and studies. We're a friendly bunch, so say hi! :hello:

Hi i’m 23 🙂 i’ll be 24 soon, i’m currently a full time dental nurse and i’m hoping to study speech and language therapy either in 2024 or 2025! I returned to education as I have been in dentistry since i was 19 and realised this isn’t the career path for me and i’m really motivated to be in a profession where i’m able to help people with more complex needs. I’m currently studying an access to health care professions course and have 6 assignments left till i’m finished
Original post by Alexo
Hi I'm Alex. I'm 28 and planning to do a physio degree after doing an A level in Human Biology.

Is anyone else a mature student doing physio? Would love to hear from you!

Yes me! Salford Uni starting in September! Where have you applied?
Original post by Annamc87
Can someone please help am 35 applying to cao but under qualifications it has GCSE do I have to put them in as mature student? Or where would I even go looking for them thank you

Yes, I would think they'd want to see proof of GCSE's. I'm at London Met and they did (I was 32). I'm guessing you're not 100% of which exam boards you took your GCSE's with (same as me) ?
You'll likely then have to file a "subject access request" with them all, starting with thew most likely first.
They have to give you all the information they currently hold on you, by law.
(https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-make-a-subject-access-request-sar-a6axO2u2RKof)
Any other mature students applying with completed qualifications and getting rejected despite exceeding the entry requirements and having a fairly good personal statement? 3/3 rejections. It's disheartening. I am expecting 5/5 rejections.

I am applying to very competitive places and courses, but I was hopeful I could get 1 offer.
(edited 1 week ago)
Original post by Toilet Duck
Any other mature students applying with completed qualifications and getting rejected despite exceeding the entry requirements and having a fairly good personal statement? 3/3 rejections. It's disheartening. I am expecting 5/5 rejections.

I am applying to very competitive places and courses, but I was hopeful I could get 1 offer.

Sorry to hear you've not had much luck :frown:

Have you had feedback on the rejections about why you were rejected?
Hi everyone! I’m 28 & will be doing Speech & Language Therapy in Cardiff Met in September. Quite nervous but very excited!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending