The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Gillybop
Hey, I had the option of doing the access to science at Glasgow Uni, or the exploring science unit via the OU, which is what I chose to do in the end.

I just felt the OU will allow me to do it at my pace, brush up on my maths etc and read through some Sedimentology, petroleum geology etc text books.

What area of Oil and Gas do you work in yourself?

Think that's the important choice, to suit your pace and where you are at in your life. Guess there is not much difference as the access course requires you to do a lot of work outside uni time. It's only 4 hours a week attendance for the access courses.

I work as an ROV supervisor and we are mostly helping lay pipe lines and install oil rigs in the south china sea at the moment. My work are going to let me work in the summers and have the rest of the time off for Uni which is pretty lucky. Getting the best of both worlds :smile:
Original post by jawknee
Think that's the important choice, to suit your pace and where you are at in your life. Guess there is not much difference as the access course requires you to do a lot of work outside uni time. It's only 4 hours a week attendance for the access courses.

I work as an ROV supervisor and we are mostly helping lay pipe lines and install oil rigs in the south china sea at the moment. My work are going to let me work in the summers and have the rest of the time off for Uni which is pretty lucky. Getting the best of both worlds :smile:

The OU recommend you do no less than 18 hours a week, which should be easily manageable.

sounds like an interesting gig you have anyway, looked at an ROV course a fee years ago, but it's was about 25k or something to do it! I would be looking to get more into the Geological side of things when I graduate.
Reply 982
Original post by Gillybop
The OU recommend you do no less than 18 hours a week, which should be easily manageable.

sounds like an interesting gig you have anyway, looked at an ROV course a fee years ago, but it's was about 25k or something to do it! I would be looking to get more into the Geological side of things when I graduate.

18 hours should be ok. 25k??? Was that fort william by any chance? Mine was 2K and you were guaranteed a job at the end of it. You needed a trade though to be accepted on that one. The amount of opportunities offshore just now are unbelievable. You could find yourself in demand from the oil exploration companies. If you were involved with finding oil then it would probably be like winning the lottery. There's also this fracking thing happening and I just found out they've been doing it off the west coast of America for 40 years so it's not new.
Original post by jawknee
18 hours should be ok. 25k??? Was that fort william by any chance? Mine was 2K and you were guaranteed a job at the end of it. You needed a trade though to be accepted on that one. The amount of opportunities offshore just now are unbelievable. You could find yourself in demand from the oil exploration companies. If you were involved with finding oil then it would probably be like winning the lottery. There's also this fracking thing happening and I just found out they've been doing it off the west coast of America for 40 years so it's not new.

Yeah it was Fort William, it was an all singing all dancing residential course, but still extortionate. Yeah, I spoke to a few folk and in the North Sea alone over the next 10 years they are predicting a skills shortage of 125k bodies, so with the earth science degree I'll be we'll positioned to get something offshore.
Reply 984
I'm 38 and about to start uni studying mental health, reading about your family life is Inspiring proving that circumstances does not determine ones future. May God continue to bless you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 985
Original post by masibanda
May God continue to bless you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:confused: When he/she/it starts let me know.
Hi Everyone,

I'm Sarah, I'm nearly 29 & I'm a farmer. After much consideration (and a talking to from my secondary school form tutor!) I have decided to 'stop making excuses' & sign up to an Access to Humanities course at Middlesbrough, with the optimistic aim of doing a BA in History next year.

I'm very nervous, but equally excited...Just not really sure what to expect or how I'll cope running a business, being a mother & trying to study. But...As I said, no more excuses. If I don't try I'll never know. Eeep.

Any tips gratefully accepted :smile:
Hi I'm 29 and have just had my place confirmed at Manchester met (Cheshire). I completed a two year part time access course with merit in June which was difficult especially having caring responsibilities and subsequently losing my father. I also have an 11 year old daughter. If there's anyone considering the access course and needs a bit of advice, I'm prepared to pass on my knowledge!

Also if you're unsure whether To go full or part-time I recommend you go part time if you have children because the workload of the second year in my experience was a hell of a lot more difficult to manage than the first year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I'm 36, mother of 2 and working full time. I have just completed an access to science course over 2 years and have to agree with the last post the 2nd year was definitely hardest.

I have been accepted to Birmingham city to study radiotherapy and can't wait to get started :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 989
Hi

I'm a 58 year old prospective Occupational Therapy undergraduate hoping to secure a place at Southampton University.

I have switched to Healthcare following a 30 year career in IT with large corporates such as 3M, Vodafone and BlackBerry (Research In Motion).

This year I completed an Access course in Healthcare (Ascentis) at Reading College obtaining the necessary grades - have submitted certificates to Southampton and am waiting for confirmation for a place.

Also have my Student Finance England loan approved plus my NHS bursary so I think I've got most if not all in place or in progress - any pointers would be welcome!

I live in Reading with my wife and grown up family so will be commuting by train/bus to Southampton (about 2 hours each way :redface:( ). Would be interested in hooking up with anyone else making the same journey....

Anyone else out there starting OT at Southampton this September?

David
My name is Natalie, I'm 26, and I just been accepted to do Bsc hons in animal management and behaviour! I'm so excited to be starting in September!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck everyone!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
My name is Scott & I am 46.

I have just had my 2013 course confirmed at Bolton and i will be studying Computing & Network Security, starting on the foundation year.

I was an International Trucker then Transport Manager. I was medically retired last year and I am determined not to end up up like the washed out scroungers around me.

I am trying to educate myself so I can fulfil a long standing ambition and with a little luck, get back into work.

So there :smile:
Reply 993
Hey, I'm ali, I'm 34 with 2 kids and have just completed access course. I'm doing psychology at QUB. Got a lot to prove, not only to myself but to a lot of people who doubted! Can't wait to get started. Good luck everyone :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, my name is Gabbie. I'm 20, and starting my criminology BSc Hons course in September.
Very excited to start!
Reply 995
Hiya

I've accepted a place at Glasgow Caledonian University this year doing a Business degree part time.

I'm a bit worried about juggling working full time and study, but it's something I really want so I'm hoping I'll be ok.

Would be lovely to chat to anyone else doing the same course?

Suzie x
Hello, all.

I am Tom,

I'm 27 (yikes) and will be starting an access course (bio&enviro science) in a couple of weeks!

I plan on going on to university to study biomedical science if all goes to plan. Hope I get it right this time!
Original post by AliP123
Hey, I'm ali, I'm 34 with 2 kids and have just completed access course. I'm doing psychology at QUB. Got a lot to prove, not only to myself but to a lot of people who doubted! Can't wait to get started. Good luck everyone :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

re: the second part...exactly how I feel!
Original post by vox_celeste
re: the second part...exactly how I feel!

I feel it all the time as a young mum!! Be proud of your achievements so far guys :smile:
Reply 999
Hay everyone,
I'm Abbey :biggrin:
23yrs old (24 in Oct) have to say I have read some very inspiring stories on here. I start at Cumbria Uni (Lancaster campus) in sept doing a working with children & families course. I must say I was very nervous at the prospect and still am a little. It wasn't that I was unhappy with the way my life is just that I wanted to do something for me. Having been out of education for 5 years was quite unsettling but I am actually excited now :smile: Good luck to everyone xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending