The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Hey!

I'm almost 21 and this Sept will start a HE access course in Social Science & Humanities which will allow me to study Human Geography at Uni.
My GCSE's were pretty good (A's B's) but then college was hell and my grades reflected that (E's U's)

So I took 3 years out to sort myself out and here I am! :h:
Hello everyone,
I am 16 and I just finished my GCSE's and starting sixth form.
I will be studying Business & Project Management then doing Psychology at University.
27 doing criminology sociology at Royal Holloway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone,

I start an Access to Science course in a few weeks, and ultimately I want to study Podiatry. I'm 33, so it's been a while since I studied anything remotely to do with Science but I cant wait to get going.

If anyone else is thinking of doing Podiatry, give me a shout. I'm not sure where I want to go to University yet, so I have a lot of research to do and open days to attend...
Hi so glad I am not alone 39 just starting my degree in marine biology :smile:
I am 40.
Funny to see people competing here for the 'oldest' prize - not the norm!

I'm 39. Doing Film and English & American Literature at Kent (Canterbury).

Hoping the kids' reaction will be :noway:if/when they find out my age. I'm not sure whether my policy should be:

(a) Volunteer the information and get all that "are you really that old?" business out of the way asap.
(b) Refuse to answer the question if asked on the grounds it may embarrass me.
(c) Change the subject if asked.
(d) Lie. On a job a couple of years ago my boss thought I was over 10 years younger than I was. I compromised and convinced the team I was five years younger than my actual age. Real age - 5 is a safe bet. -10 gets a bit riskier.
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
Funny to see people competing here for the 'oldest' prize - not the norm!

I'm 39. Doing Film and English & American Literature at Kent (Canterbury).

Hoping the kids' reaction will be :noway:if/when they find out my age. I'm not sure whether my policy should be:

(a) Volunteer the information and get all that "are you really that old?" business out of the way asap.
(b) Refuse to answer the question if asked on the grounds it may embarrass me.
(c) Change the subject if asked.
(d) Lie. On a job a couple of years ago my boss thought I was over 10 years younger than I was. I compromised and convinced the team I was five years younger than my actual age. Real age - 5 is a safe bet. -10 gets a bit riskier.

Just don't worry about it man. Tell the truth and don't be embarrassed. Nothing wrong with going to uni at any age, anyone who takes the piss is a dumbass anyway.
I'm 55 completed a BSc two years ago .. just applied to do a PCGE.. so guess I'm the oldest so far.. after reading this post I'm wondering if I m been silly contributing to study.. :frown:
Original post by cliffg
55 and half way through 1st year of PhD following an LLB. Be warned - once you start this academia thing in your 50's you can't stop ! It beats working for a living !

Im so glad Im not alone..Im 55 completed a BSc two years ago and have applied to do a PGCE at Edge Hill University.. :smile:
Original post by charismer
I'm 55 completed a BSc two years ago .. just applied to do a PCGE.. so guess I'm the oldest so far.. after reading this post I'm wondering if I m been silly contributing to study.. :frown:

You'll still have a decade or so of working life ahead of you once you've finished. I'd say it's well worth it, quite apart from the enjoyment of studying for its own sake.
Hello

I am a second year medic, went back to uni at the age of 31 to peruse my dream of becoming a doctor.

I fitted in quite well and have made many friends, I share a house with three other medics who are great lads.

I got out all the time with people off my course and I have been more involved in uni life this time than when I went when I was 18

I'm quite proud of being a mature student

Great thread this
Original post by Schadenfreude65
You'll still have a decade or so of working life ahead of you once you've finished. I'd say it's well worth it, quite apart from the enjoyment of studying for its own sake.

I agree as a 53 year old about to start doing a speech therapy degree, will be 56 when I finish!
I'm 50 and heading to UEA to do adult nursing 👍
Hi, I'm 36 and will be starting BSc Psychology at University of Manchester in Sept. Looking forward, and I'm glad I found this thread.
Hi all. I'm Alan and I'll be 35 tomorrow.

I'm just about to complete my last shift as a whole time firefighter which I've done for over 15 years.

This morning I enrolled on an Access to Medicine course with the aim of studying medicine at university. I've given up a great career to follow my dream. I'll out in every ounce of effort to achieve it. I just hope universities are as receptive to my access course and experience as they claim to be...
I am 26 years old and I am interested in studying medicine I can completed my Masters in Pharmacology and I am open to study anywhere wherever there is opportunity
Original post by Alan1980
Hi all. I'm Alan and I'll be 35 tomorrow.

I'm just about to complete my last shift as a whole time firefighter which I've done for over 15 years.

This morning I enrolled on an Access to Medicine course with the aim of studying medicine at university. I've given up a great career to follow my dream. I'll out in every ounce of effort to achieve it. I just hope universities are as receptive to my access course and experience as they claim to be...

Hi Alan,

Thats wonderful what you already do and again to choosing to study medicine is fabulous. Best of luck with your new venture.
Hi! I'm 27 and will be starting a criminology and sociology degree at Royal Holloway In September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in the middle at 35. Start Sept 2015.
Leaving a career in Engineering to study BSc in Agriculture 🚜🐑🐷🐮

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending