The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I am Cathy. I am 34. I have been here before in the past but I lost touch around 2014/2015. I am in the fianal year of my Degree in Ecology and Conservation Management.
(edited 7 years ago)
Im 29 and i started an OU degree when i was homeless, 10 years ago. Unexpected circumstances meant that that wasnt the time for me but i knew i would pick it up again in the future. In the meantime, I focussed on getting well. In 2012, I started to study towards a counselling qualification (which i completed in 2016). It was this course which reignited my love of learning and i started back up at the open university in 2013 and used the credit gained there to transfer into year 2 at local university. For me, the degree is a means to an end. I want to do dclinpsy so i need the bsc and probably masters. But i love my day job as a therapist and dont plan on giving that up for any course :wink:
Original post by MilitantSheep
Strictly speaking I count as a mature student as I'll be 22 at the start of my course (I'm 21 now), but really don't think I fit the category. I left Lampeter this summer because my classics course wasn't right for me and nor was I for it, I knew my stuff but I'm just not academically minded enough for it. Now I'm going for nursing starting next September at Birmingham City, Bucks New, DeMontfort, Central Lancashire and Worcester.

Hi, have you had any interviews yet? Are you going for postgrad or under? What branch? ☺️ I've also applied for bucks new adult nursing
Hi all,

Congratulations on taking the step to return to study as a 'mature' student. It certainly isn't always easy. As an institution that offers distance learning, we have a lot of students in a similar situation to you. Quite a few write for our student blog, sharing their experience of balancing study with work/family, how they stay motivated, as well as practical tips for getting organised. I thought you might find the posts useful. You can view them at: https://londoninternational-blog.com/tag/study-independently/

Best of luck with your studies!!
Reply 1584
HI all.

I too am the same.(31 year old mature student). I left school with a few GCSE's then went on to complete an NVQ qualification. I went to work in the beauty industry but my heart was never really in it. A couple of years ago I made the decision to take the plunge and after a period of time deciding whether I was brave enough to go back to studying, I enrolled onto a Foundation degree in Biomedical science! I am now awaiting to hear back from my university choices to take my academic pathway further and study environmental health! A complete career change but I have embraced every second of it and it was most definitely the best decision I ever made!

Best of luck to you all with your studies and follow your career dreams (You are never too old!!):smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Same... I'm going into teaching though.
I'm 26 and embarking on an Access course with Stonebridge with the view to be all done and dusted in time to start Uni next year. Although I got the A Level grades at sixth form, it's been 8 years and I'm feeling a little rusty so want to "practise learning" so to speak before going on to HE.
Reply 1587
Hi, I am in a similar situation. I am 30 years old and have decided to return to studying. I have done a Level 3 professional qualification as I work in HR and I had been made an unconditional offer to study the Level 7 qualification in the same field via long distance learning. I think I would be setting myself up to fail as I too havent studied properly for years and jumping from a Level 3 to a Level 7 qualification seems ludicrous to me. I have made the decision to study an under graduate degree full time in Business & HR Management. I am petrified! I am going to be giving up my full time job in order to focus on my studies, which is scary as I am the bread winner.
I am 33 and have applied to study Accounting and Finance at Uni this September.
I had great GCSE results but then met my ex husband who was much older and thought I didn't need to go to university to get ahead. In a way I was right, I've had a pretty good career in hospitality management but now I have 2 young children, and that career just won't work with family life.
I am studying an Access to HE course in Business through Infused Learning and it's been amazing. I love using my brain to that degree again. I started in August 2015 and then found out I was pregnant so it's taken me a year longer than planned but it has gone well.
Good luck everyone!
Hey, I'm 23 and will be 24 when the semester starts in September or October so I finally stepped into the mid-twenties bracket (I feel old).

Hoping to meet some like minded individuals around my age so I don't feel like a pensioner. I went to stay in Thailand for family and military reasons but now I'm finally coming back and I've applied for Coventry, University of Birmingham, Aston and De Montford. All computer science with a second course at De Monfort in Computer security.
I am 30 this year and feel like it's the right time for me as well.
I left school with rubbish GCSE results and ended up doing an NVQ in childcare. I still work as a nursery nurse now but my heart isn't in it anymore, especially since I now have two kids of my own at home! Once my youngest is at school I am hoping to do an access course and then need to make decisions on which degree, I am torn between social work, mental health nursing and psychology with counselling.
Good luck to everyone!
Reply 1591
Hi I'm Hasvini and I'm 24. I have applied for mathematics foundation courses in Liverpool, Kent, keele, Loughborough and Sussex! So far I've got n offer from Liverpool and still waiting to hear from rest!! It's actually nerve wrecking to wait 😩
I am so excited to finally be able to go to university this year!!!
Reply 1592
I have returned to studying too, I have just turned 32 and received an unconditional offer to study children's nursing. I have always worked in healthcare and worked for 10 years in a psychiatric secure hospital but I knew I didn't want to train in mental health as always wanted to work with children, so I completed my access course via distance learning centre in 8 months whilst pregnant with my 4th child and working full time. All the hard work has paid off and I can't wait until September.
Good luck everyone
Hi! I am turning 21 soon and I'm applying to university this year. I only have my GCSE's so far.. and the grades aren't too good! I am currently self-studying for AP exams~ Hope we all make it to our choice of university! Good Luck everyone~
Original post by Kbbt03
I have returned to studying too, I have just turned 32 and received an unconditional offer to study children's nursing. I have always worked in healthcare and worked for 10 years in a psychiatric secure hospital but I knew I didn't want to train in mental health as always wanted to work with children, so I completed my access course via distance learning centre in 8 months whilst pregnant with my 4th child and working full time. All the hard work has paid off and I can't wait until September.
Good luck everyone

You've worked in mental health for years but always wanted to work with children, I've worked with children for years but always wanted to work in mental health! Funny how life gets in the way of what we want isn't it.

How did you find doing access via distance learning? I've been considering it but wasn't sure since I've been out of education for so long. Did you feel you got the support you needed?
Reply 1595
Original post by Libra1987
You've worked in mental health for years but always wanted to work with children, I've worked with children for years but always wanted to work in mental health! Funny how life gets in the way of what we want isn't it.

How did you find doing access via distance learning? I've been considering it but wasn't sure since I've been out of education for so long. Did you feel you got the support you needed?

I didn't mind doing the access via distance learning, i couldn't give up my job to go to college so it was the perfect option for me, I had to re sit my maths gcse too so done it all in one go. I found the support pretty good, I probably didn't use it as well as I should but to be honest I just wanted to complete it asap. It was hard work and there was a lot to do on top of working full time and you can take longer to do it if needed.
Original post by Dilly446
Hi I'm 55 and have just completed a degree in Conservation of Historical Objects. So for all those 20 somethings don't be worried at all.......

Hi Dilly446, what a relief! Just been scrolling through reading all these 20 somethings eek'ing about being mature students and I am 51 and about to start an Access course alongside GCSE Maths prior to hoping to read Law at Uni. Please tell me that it has been worth it and that employers haven't closed the door on you because of age?? Congratulations on your degree btw.
Hi, I am so relieved to see a 50 year old and a 66 year old on this thread - was starting to question my sanity at the path I am just putting my toe on! I am 51 and utterly fed up with being a stay at home mother surrounded by washing and boring chores! Surely it's my time. I have enrolled on a maths course; looking for an Access course to start in September; got a voluntary job in the local Crown Court; hoping to go to University in 2018 to study Law. Does anyone know whether I will stand a chance trying to make it as a lawyer?
Original post by Jude*
Hi, I am so relieved to see a 50 year old and a 66 year old on this thread - was starting to question my sanity at the path I am just putting my toe on! I am 51 and utterly fed up with being a stay at home mother surrounded by washing and boring chores! Surely it's my time. I have enrolled on a maths course; looking for an Access course to start in September; got a voluntary job in the local Crown Court; hoping to go to University in 2018 to study Law. Does anyone know whether I will stand a chance trying to make it as a lawyer?

I have no idea I'm afraid, but there is a lot of good advice about legal careers and studying law in the Legal and Law forums. It might be a good idea to use the search function (click tools) to see if there are any old threads on mature students becoming lawyers.
Will check those forums, thank you for the advice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending