The Student Room Group

How much importance should I give to universities ranking/league tables ?

I'm asking because in my country (I'm from Italy) honestly we don't use much or give much importance to rankings for local universities. One of the reason I'm asking is because one of my choices (westminster) is really low in the rankings, yet the course seems extremely interesting (1 full year abroad in china for study/employment and the chance to do a short politic internship apart from that) and the location in central london seems great. How much importance is usually given to ranking position in UK (especially for employability)? Ho much importance should I give to rankings and prestige of the university over just personal impression on the course subjects? I'm asking because here on student room I see that a lot of people always talking about league tables.
Also consider that I would love to work abroad (so outside UK) after the degree (but I still don't know if it will be possible).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by andrespi
I'm asking because in my country honestly we don't use much or give much importance to rankings for local universities. One of the reason I'm asking is because one of my choices (westminster) is really low in the rankings, yet the course seems extremely interesting (1 full year abroad in china for study/employment and the chance to do a short politic internship apart from that) and the location in central london seems great. How much importance is usually given to ranking position in UK (especially for employability)? Ho much importance should I give to rankings and prestige of the university over just personal impression on the course subjects? I'm asking because here on student room I see that a lot of people always talking about league tables.
Also consider that I would love to work abroad (so outside UK) after the degree (but I still don't know if it will be possible).

I don't think that you should worry about rankings very much at all. They're different from different sources anyway. Its better to choose a uni by looking at the course, the place itself etc. Don't worry about rankings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending