The Student Room Group

What is the best looking university or college?

Scroll to see replies

Not York.
Original post by RamocitoMorales
University of Westminster

WOW. When I first saw Westminster, I thought, "Grotty grey ex-poly", but needless to say, I have been proved wrong.
University of Paris, Sorbonne

University of Paris, Sorbonne

Spoiler

Can you please put your pictures in a spoiler? :smile:

:drool: That is gorgeous... it looks like how I'd imagine a stately home to look.
Moscow State University.

Reply 65

Nothing comes close to the West Wales Coast :dance: Aberystwyth ! :cool:

Look at the views ! :eek:
Reply 66
Original post by jrichardson21
Not York.

Yes, apart from the older colleges (which look a bit better than they used to), it's partly because of its location (really odd to put it in the backend of a suburban area like that - gives no grandeur to the university) and the general 'quiet' angle that the university has always gone for which can make it deathly dull - the place drains of people on a weekend so much that it used to resemble a low key concrete municipal park.

However, through some odd altruism on my part which is not owed to my personal experience there, I've decided to play devil's advocate here and choose York today from it's most aesthetically pleasing angles. Just remember that the camera does definitely lie - it doesn't suggest the context in which those buildings are placed. Looking at it, you wouldn't believe that Heslington Hall, for example, is no huge York landmark at all - it's just an historic footnote at the backend of a 60s campus in a tiny village - wasted really and little or no teaching is done there- too good for the students! And there's a huge distance between Heslington East and the main campus but, as they are relatively close to each other with nothing else around you erroneously think it'll be manageable to walk there but it's some distance.

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by diamonddust
That is gorgeous... it looks like how I'd imagine a stately home to look.

Cambridge has a really stately home feel. Going along with the Backs, past the Wren library, there are several bridges en route with wide expanses of well maintained lawns. That's why it always puzzles me when some people make out that Oxford is more aristocratic. The rural expansive grandeur of Cambridge actually feels more aristocratic in my opinion. Cambridge has educated more of our own royals in recent years too - Edward and Charles.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Picnic1
Cambridge has a really stately home feel. Going along with the Backs, past the Wren library, there are several bridges en route with wide expanses of well maintained lawns. That's why it always puzzles me when some people make out that Oxford is more aristocratic. The rural expansive grandeur of Cambridge actually feels more aristocratic in my opinion. Cambridge has educated more of our own royals in recent years too - Edward and Charles.

I agree. Cambridge feels more bucolic and archaically grand, in my opinion. :smile:

However, Christ Church, Oxford ('the House') is still undeniably the 'go-to' college for the country's aristocracy.
Reply 69
Royal Holloway is beautiful... looks like Hogwarts :wink:
Reply 70
Durham - Castle College! I've applied there for History although I am almost certain i'll get a rejection!
Royal Holloway looks like Hogwarts :love:

:eek: damnn, shoulda applied to Westminster!

Original post by Picnic1

I need to visit Cambridge. I passed the front of the university on a coach once and from the little bit of it I saw, it really is gorgeous. I wish I was smart enough for Cambridge... you wouldn't think it from the universities I've applied to but I love beautiful universities! :love:
Reply 75
Original post by Chucklefiend
Moscow State University.

It's awesome! :smile:

I like Westminster and Cambridge though.. :smile:
St John's College Cambridge!!
Reply 77
To all people posting pictures of those" beautiful" old, erm sorry, ancient historic buildings. Right? uh..Its one thing to see it in pictures...(oo looks like a castle) a horrendus other to see it in real life..(that is it? whats with the mould?). Speaking from experience.

EDIT: that westminster one tho...SWEET ....my comment does not apply to nicely renovated ones
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
I don't think there are many new universities.. The majority are ancient :P
Original post by R3L4Y
To all people posting pictures of those" beautiful" old, erm sorry, ancient historic buildings. Right? uh..Its one thing to see it in pictures...(oo looks like a castle) a horrendus other to see it in real life..(that is it? whats with the mould?). Speaking from experience.

I've seen Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh universities in real life, and they look much better in reality.

I've also seen Kent university, which looks a lot worse in real life than it does in the pictures.

TheouLiS
I don't think there are many new universities.. The majority are ancient :P

No, the vast majority are relatively new. In England, there are only two ancient universities, these are Oxford and Cambridge. In Scotland there are five, which are St Andrews, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Dundee.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending