The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Our tips for attending a Higher Education Fair.

Higher Education Fairs/UCAS Fairs are events that allow many universities, colleges, and apprenticeship schemes to showcase their courses and opportunities in one place. They are free events that can be a really great place to go to explore career options for your future. Here are our tips to prepare for these events, which can often feel a little overwhelming!

Have a plan of attack.

What year are you at in school? What are you interested in? Do you want to go to university? These are all questions to ask yourself before you come to a fair. You may have heard of popular universities or colleges or even seen some that you like personally that you want to learn more about. Having a plan of attack can be the best way to help you get the most out of the few hours at the fair, rather than wondering around aimlessly collecting freebies (although that can be fun)! Make sure you pick up a prospectus from places you like the look of for future reference.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
2.Ask Questions.

It is really important that if you have questions about places, that you ask them. Often universities will bring staff, and sometimes even Student Ambassadors (as Swansea University often does), and these will be the best placed people to answer any questions you may have. Whether these are questions about a specific course, about living in a different city, about student life, or anything else, the teams on the stalls should be able to answer them or point you in the right direction if they can’t. Never feel bad or nervous about asking questions, that’s what the staff/students are there for. We want to be able to answer your questions and ease any worries that you might have. Parents/carers/teachers can ask questions too.

When I went to fairs, I often prepped a list of around 2 or 3 questions to ask that really mattered to me and made it my mission to ask these to the places I was interested in.
(edited 1 month ago)
3.You can say no thank you!

These events can often feel overwhelming with a lot of places having stalls in a small space, all competing for your attention. If you aren’t interested, don’t feel bad about saying no thank you. If you have completely ruled that university/college/career out, that’s completely okay. You have to make the right decisions for you. Some universities might not offer the specific course you want, and so that place may not be right for your future.
(edited 1 month ago)
4.Speak to your School/College Careers Advisor.

Often, you will have a Careers Advisor who can help you to make a plan for these events and may be able to help you to get the most out of the fair. Also, make sure you ask them any post-fair questions. It is their job to help and support you in your future career or education decisions.
5.See somewhere you like? Attend an Open Day.

The best thing you can do when you see somewhere you think you might like and might fit in, is to pick up a prospectus and book onto an open day. Open Days are the events where you can actually visit the university itself with them showcasing their courses, accommodation, facilities etc. Pop along and visit! Open Days are the best way to find out if the place you liked the look of is for you. You’ll get a feel for the vibe, the city, and the staff/student opinion in real time.

Swansea University’s next Open Day is on March 23rd 2024; why not pay us a visit and come and say hi?

Colleges and apprenticeship schemes often have taster days or bookable tours that you can attend with them too, so make sure to ask.

Hope those tips help! Let us know if you have any questions.
Hope Henry Swansea Student Ambassador and Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student.

Quick Reply

Latest