The Student Room Group

ULTIMATE: 3rd best uni the the UK thread - with POLL

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Sussex has creeped up the rankings to 8th place according to the Times Higher Education- putting it above a handful of the ones in the poll.

....just sayin'.. :wink:
Reply 61
Where is Exeter lol
Reply 62
Original post by Tallon
UCL and Warwick are probably the best all-rounders. LSE and Imperial would be best depending on what degree you want. Is that fair?

I second this.
Reply 63
Original post by AfghanistanBananistan
1&2) Oxbridge (the best purely cos of prestige)

3) LSE (best of the rest because it is the best for what it does)

4) Imperial (dam good but not as good as Oxbridge for science)

5) UCL (most prestigious multi faculty but behind Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial for virtually everything it teaches)

Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrew's e.t.c (all much of a much ness, have high entry requirements with many AAA students and their own top depts and international reps in certain fields - but dont compare with the Oxbridge brand)

End of.

Haha LSE is only good for a couple of subjects it is definitely not 3rd best overall
Reply 64
Original post by manthew
At least read the bloody post properly retard. :facepalm: I'm talking about oxbridge economics degrees; they are all in BA instead of BSc. I don't give a damn about what you're doing.

As Antoine Dodson would put it, "You are so dumb, you are really really dumb.. for real".

Really?

Really so ****ing what.

A mathematics degree at oxbridge is BA, a physics degree is BA.

I'm sorry but that argument is pointless.
Original post by danny111
Really?

Really so ****ing what.

A BA in Mathematics from Cambridge is arguably the most presitigious in the world.
Reply 66
Original post by RamocitoMorales
A BA in Mathematics from Cambridge is arguably the most presitigious in the world.

And?

I don't see how this relates to the argument. The guy commented on someone saying 'who cares about art degrees'. He said well your economics degree is a bachelor of ART at oxbridge. And I said that is a stupid argument because it has nothing to do with the subject (hence why i said even maths and physics are BA) but it's BA by tradition.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Really?

Really so ****ing what.

And if you had read the original posts. I wasn't trying to prove nor was I trying disprove anything. I was merely telling him what-is and what-isn't.

I'm sorry if you failed to see it yourself.

I don't see how this relates to the argument. The guy commented on someone saying 'who cares about art degrees'. He said well your economics degree is a bachelor of ART at oxbridge. And I said that is a stupid argument because it has nothing to do with the subject (hence why i said even maths and physics are BA) but it's BA by tradition.

You ought to learn the difference between "interesting facts" and "sound reasoning and argument". I didn't specifically say the traditional degree's titles would overthrow "the guy" assertion, did I?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by manthew
And if you had read the original posts. I wasn't trying to prove nor was I trying disprove anything. I was merely telling him what-is and what-isn't.

I'm sorry if you failed to see it yourself.

So basically you were talking nonsense?

Saying that he should not hate on art degrees because even his economics degree at his beloved oxbridge is a BA.

When in matter of fact the title of the degree has nothing to do with content but with tradition.
Reply 69
So basically you were talking nonsense?

Saying that he should not hate on art degrees because even his economics degree at his beloved oxbridge is a BA.

When in matter of fact the title of the degree has nothing to do with content but with tradition.

Edited, added something new. Didn't know you were so obsessed to defend yourself in such hastily manner.

Just like the previous guy, you didn't read the further points I noted in the-very-original post. You're basically arguing over nonsense yourself. Don't put words up in my mouth... or texts, in this case.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by manthew
Edited, added something new. Didn't know you were so obsessed to defend yourself in such hastily manner.

Just like the previous guy, you didn't read the further points I noted in the-very-original post. You're basically arguing over nonsense yourself.

Maybe because you are annoying?
Reply 71
Maybe because you are annoying?

Ooo so now you''re resolving to personal attack aren't yaa... :smile::smile: hahahas sorraay but me dun deeel wif nubss n lozerss :wink:
Reply 72
Original post by manthew
Ooo so now you''re resolving to personal attack aren't yaa... :smile::smile: hahahas sorraay but me dun deeel wif nubss n lozerss :wink:

Not a personal attack, rather a statement of fact. Supported by your resolving to trolling.

Good day.
This thread is just a case of vote for your own university.

Clearly alot of UCL and Imperial students are looking at this today, and I love the Imperial chip on the shoulder because their uni is not world famous and not as good as Oxbridge in science and engineering (esp in terms of number of awards won like nobels).

Cue heated Imperial debate as always and references to rankings.
Reply 74
Original post by Erebos
:doh: Warwick is beating Durham lol. Me thinks a load of spotty sixth formers are voting in this poll.

Warwick is actually losing to Durham in the rankings. Durham are 4th (Complete University Guide) and 6th (Times)....and 17th, but the ranking where they are 17th and Warwick is 3rd, but the thing is, the uni's between Durham and Warwick are no way as good as Durham i.e Leicester, SOAS, Sussex, L'boro, Edinburgh etc...and UEA is not better than King's College London either.
Durham is moving up the rankings, and they're expected to move up more because they've been spending so much on Queen's campus lately.

But for me, I'd say Warwick > Durham overall.
Historically, Durham > Warwick.
Reply 75
Original post by RamocitoMorales

Nope

A degree in Maths at LSE and Harvard are more prestigious.
Original post by Pete's Dragon

Clearly alot of UCL and Imperial students are looking at this today, and I love the Imperial chip on the shoulder because their uni is not world famous and not as good as Oxbridge in science and engineering (esp in terms of number of awards won like nobels).

You think imperial is not world famous?
Also i'm not an imperial student or applicant but I still chose it in the poll.
Original post by agolati
Nope

A degree in Maths at LSE and Harvard are more prestigious.

What I don't understand is why you bother arguing about something you know absolutely zilch about?

The London School of Economics don't even offer a course in mathematics. :facepalm2:

And Cambridge is more prestigious than Harvard at undergraduate level, as most accept that the former has the superior educational atmosphere. Harvard is superior in its research, hence why it would be better for postgraduate research.
Original post by Pete's Dragon

Imperial is hands down the best university to study engineering at in the UK.
Reply 79
Not a personal attack, rather a statement of fact. Supported by your resolving to trolling.

Good day.

:wink: res ipsa loquitur. Good day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending