The Student Room Group

I need advice about my A-levels and picking the right path for myself

I’ve grew up in France but while partaking in the English education system. I started doing my A Levels online and after the summer of Year 12 my online school went out of business deleting all of my course work and progress so I had to change to a new online school. However my new online school didn’t do the same subjects (I’m not sure why) so I also had to switch A-levels. My new online school was terrible as the “teachers” never replied to my emails. So I completed my A-Levels in one year off my own back. I ended up getting my results last month with a C in business, a C in English literature and a fail in mathematics (when I was originally predicted straight A’s) As you can see I have had great luck with the school system. This new school year I have decided to resit A-Level maths to up my grades but I’m not sure if I should do another subject as well so that I have 4 A Levels? However I’m not sure if this is a smart idea because I could end up with 4 C’s and I’m not sure if universities would like that especially as they have been done in two separate years. But if I don’t do that and end up with 3 C’s for example, can i still get accepted into a relatively good university and do you think my situation would make eligible for contextual offers? If anyone has any advice for me please share I would really appreciate it, thank you. Also sorry for this being so long.
Original post by summer0306
I’ve grew up in France but while partaking in the English education system. I started doing my A Levels online and after the summer of Year 12 my online school went out of business deleting all of my course work and progress so I had to change to a new online school. However my new online school didn’t do the same subjects (I’m not sure why) so I also had to switch A-levels. My new online school was terrible as the “teachers” never replied to my emails. So I completed my A-Levels in one year off my own back. I ended up getting my results last month with a C in business, a C in English literature and a fail in mathematics (when I was originally predicted straight A’s) As you can see I have had great luck with the school system. This new school year I have decided to resit A-Level maths to up my grades but I’m not sure if I should do another subject as well so that I have 4 A Levels? However I’m not sure if this is a smart idea because I could end up with 4 C’s and I’m not sure if universities would like that especially as they have been done in two separate years. But if I don’t do that and end up with 3 C’s for example, can i still get accepted into a relatively good university and do you think my situation would make eligible for contextual offers? If anyone has any advice for me please share I would really appreciate it, thank you. Also sorry for this being so long.

don't do another subject. just resit a level math and maybe one other subject.
Reply 2
Original post by justlearning1469
don't do another subject. just resit a level math and maybe one other subject.

thank you, i think for now it might be worth to just get in a math tutor and work to get the best grade I can get in that
thank you, i think for now it might be worth to just get in a math tutor and work to get the best grade I can get in that

i agree. at your rate... just focus on math. maybe another subject. But realistically with ACC or BCC for unis they ain't great at all.

What are you planning to do? What happened? CCU from AAA? Such a huge drop. You really need to resit, try hard, 4-5 hours a day on weekdays, maybe a little bit of time on weekends.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
i agree. at your rate... just focus on math. maybe another subject. But realistically with ACC or BCC for unis they ain't great at all.

What are you planning to do? What happened? CCU from AAA? Such a huge drop. You really need to resit, try hard, 4-5 hours a day on weekdays, maybe a little bit of time on weekends.

For maths my online school messed up and gave me the wrong course, they gave me an AS course but labeled it as A-Level so when I went into my exam I didn't know the content. The head of my exam center tried to alert the exam board of what happened but ultimately just told me to resit this year. As for English and Business that was just a matter of the grade boundaries, I've seen multiple people in the UK who were predicted A* and got C's. I would like to go into finance and I've been told that C's would be fine for university and for a successful career in this field as the ultimate choice with employers comes down to a matter of character rather than who has the best grades, as long as everyone has passed their A-Levels. To be honest I don't think passing 2/3 A-Levels is too bad considering I had 1 year to complete them and with no teacher, when you compare the average grades of students in the uk who did attend an actual school with teachers and got the correct amount of time, especially in 2023.
For maths my online school messed up and gave me the wrong course, they gave me an AS course but labeled it as A-Level so when I went into my exam I didn't know the content. The head of my exam center tried to alert the exam board of what happened but ultimately just told me to resit this year. As for English and Business that was just a matter of the grade boundaries, I've seen multiple people in the UK who were predicted A* and got C's. I would like to go into finance and I've been told that C's would be fine for university and for a successful career in this field as the ultimate choice with employers comes down to a matter of character rather than who has the best grades, as long as everyone has passed their A-Levels. To be honest I don't think passing 2/3 A-Levels is too bad considering I had 1 year to complete them and with no teacher, when you compare the average grades of students in the uk who did attend an actual school with teachers and got the correct amount of time, especially in 2023.

That was a huge mistake. Passing 2 A-levels with C... in 1 year. I actually made it BBC for 3 a levels in 5-6 months. I suppose you did... meh. I was predicted A* and got B.

Cs usually ain't great for uni. Most RG + 4, the good unis, need at least As and Bs. Some want As or even A/A*. So yeah, not good. Get an actual teacher, study several hours a day, get more tutoring, resit that math, and maybe one other A-level. Although i'm not sure what good unis would accept C in the 3rd subject.
Reply 6
That was a huge mistake. Passing 2 A-levels with C... in 1 year. I actually made it BBC for 3 a levels in 5-6 months. I suppose you did... meh. I was predicted A* and got B.

Cs usually ain't great for uni. Most RG + 4, the good unis, need at least As and Bs. Some want As or even A/A*. So yeah, not good. Get an actual teacher, study several hours a day, get more tutoring, resit that math, and maybe one other A-level. Although i'm not sure what good unis would accept C in the 3rd subject.

Yeah and you went to an in person school with teachers to guide you, not in a foreign country by yourself (unless your situation was exactly the same as mine, in which case forgive me). And I actually completed them October- April so. I’m not looking to get into a Russel group university, if any. I’m not sure if I’d rather do an apprenticeship in accountancy and go from there. As most people I know who graduated from university have mediocre jobs or didn’t do anything with their degree. Thank you for your advice.
Yeah and you went to an in person school with teachers to guide you, not in a foreign country by yourself (unless your situation was exactly the same as mine, in which case forgive me). And I actually completed them October- April so. I’m not looking to get into a Russel group university, if any. I’m not sure if I’d rather do an apprenticeship in accountancy and go from there. As most people I know who graduated from university have mediocre jobs or didn’t do anything with their degree. Thank you for your advice.

I went to in person school but I was in Y11 and doing GCSEs then (except some add math content in gcse for extension) and just self studying so i didn't have much guidance or teaching at all. I wasn't in a foreign country by myself but i wasn't even doing a level stuff online unlike you. Like i was doing nearly nothing. I completed them Jan-Jun so 5-6 months. you took 7-8 months.

No problem, but for apprenticeships they may still want strongg A-level grades. So make sure you can get the A/A* in math. Either way you need to resit it, use isaac physics, examsolutions, past papers and tutoring if needed to help.

Quick Reply

Latest