The Student Room Group

Question re personal statement

So i'm on a gap year and I sent off my UCAS recently.

I used bits and bobs from my personal statement from last year.

I was told this would be ok from my HOY, I just don't want any problems with the UCAS similarity detector thing, when the personal statement is all mine, all original, never shared online/with friends etc

Cheers??
Original post by Roflhahalol
So i'm on a gap year and I sent off my UCAS recently.

I used bits and bobs from my personal statement from last year.

I was told this would be ok from my HOY, I just don't want any problems with the UCAS similarity detector thing, when the personal statement is all mine, all original, never shared online/with friends etc

Cheers??

The automatic system that detects plagiarism, will most likely choose this as a 'possible' plagiarised personal statement, which will result in a UCAS person checking it thoroughly. But at that step, he will for sure find out that the two personal statements that are similar, are from the same person (you) and the universities won't be contacted or anything.

BTW I am in the same position as you and am on a gap year and used some paragraphs and sentences from my last personal statement.

So, don't worry. It won't cause any sort of problems. :smile:
From the UCAS website:
You can use a statement from a previous application provided the original was all your own work. The service [UCAS Similarity Detection Service] removes all matches where the name and date of birth of the applicant are the same, so if the service highlights similarities it will not match with your previous statement but with other sources already in our library.

So yes, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending