The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmashConcept
People still won't care about them.

Everyone has teams like this. Mine are the Titans. For my first 2 seasons of watching NFL they were the one team I just couldn't remember. I know what you mean about forgettable Atlanta. Red uniforms, bird name, wildly inconsistent seasons. Matty Ice just does things without people noticing, and they don't really have any media attention.
Original post by cant_think_of_name
KJ Wright and Cliff Avril signed to deals in the last 48 hours, good to see this team being kept together. Just need Maxwell and Kearse to sign and that'll be the starters wrapped up

I'll give you that the secondary is weak (well, it straight up sucks tbh). I don't think they're going to do anything special. But they could beat the Colts on a good day.

Good moves by the Seahawks to re-sign those two.

How important do you think Bobby Wagner is by the way?

I just don't see the Ravens making any noise. Yes their front seven is mean. But their defensive backs are woeful. The broncos could murder them in the air. Any team with a decent o like and good offense will beat the Ravens.

Broncos, Patriots the two that come to mind. They have a good run game? Oh wait broncos excel in stopping the run. patriots aren't bad themselves at it.

Come down to a shoot out between the teams and It's not going the Ravens way. Until they beat teams that are decent that are not the NFC south it means nothing.

Also who do people think is gonna win the MVP?
(edited 9 years ago)
People still won't care about them.

Well, it has been a couple of down years from them, to be honest. People pile on the NFC South, but it's a good, comeptittative division, whcih just so happens to have its teams mired in a down year,

If they don't care, it's their loss. If people can't care, or read up on the the other 31 NFL teams it's their loss. Transactions that affect Jacksonville affect the whole league. And if they make the playoffs, any team which makes the playoffs have to be cared about. 1. Because your team didn't make the playoffs or 2. Your team will have face them in the playoffs. And yes...AFC fans should appreciate the NFC playoffs. Green Bay, Seattle, Philadelphia, Arizona, Dallas, Detroit etc...they would all be concerned at being that team to go lose to a 7-9 Atlanta Falcons team in the Georgia Dome. See: Julio Jones, Roddy White and Matt Ryan.

Original post by Malevolent

It's Rodgers' to lose. JJ Watt, just wouldn't win, despite being the most important player to his team, as per the definition of the award. Peyton and Brady have had worthy seasons. My 'dark horse' candidate would be Tony Romo, however...people really just don't, or are not willing to appreciate the high level which he is playing at right now. Le'veon Bell and Demarco Murray should get offensive players of the year award, however, with JJ Watt getting DPOY.
How important do you think Bobby Wagner is by the way?

Very. You saw the results when we were out, and when he came back - a loss to Dallas the game that he went down, then to St. Louis the next week, then annoyingly hard-fought games against Carolina, Oakland and the Giants. Then a loss to KC.

Then he comes back and we destroy Arizona, SF (x2) and Philly. It's not just coincidence!

Looking at the stats, he's doing pretty comparably (adjusting for the missed games) to Luke Kuechly and Curtis Lofton in terms of tackles, and they're the gold standard pretty well for a 4-3 MLB.

I want it to be J.J. Watt but as has been pointed out a million times, he's not "most valuable", he's simply the best player around. I'd say that Gronk deserves a shout, but Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning are always going to be the front runners.

Watt for DPOY, Bell for OPOY, Arians for Coach, Beckham Jr. for OROY (or Zack Martin...) and I have no idea for DROY... Mack, Barr, Mosley, Borland, Donald... all in with a shout.
Original post by Wattsy
Everyone has teams like this. Mine are the Titans. For my first 2 seasons of watching NFL they were the one team I just couldn't remember. I know what you mean about forgettable Atlanta. Red uniforms, bird name, wildly inconsistent seasons. Matty Ice just does things without people noticing, and they don't really have any media attention.

And they had the most douche heavy season of hard knocks ever
Watching Jackson Jeffcoat get sacks makes me sad that Seattle released him so soon :frown:
Reply 9686
Watching Jackson Jeffcoat get sacks makes me sad that Seattle released him so soon :frown:

Let's be fair, he did nothing in preseason and that sack is literally the only thing he has done in a pro game.
How much have you paid off Parkey, Wattsy?
Nice to see RG3 showing a few flashes. You don't want a talent like that to flame out if you're a fan of the game.
Very. You saw the results when we were out, and when he came back - a loss to Dallas the game that he went down, then to St. Louis the next week, then annoyingly hard-fought games against Carolina, Oakland and the Giants. Then a loss to KC.

Then he comes back and we destroy Arizona, SF (x2) and Philly. It's not just coincidence!

Looking at the stats, he's doing pretty comparably (adjusting for the missed games) to Luke Kuechly and Curtis Lofton in terms of tackles, and they're the gold standard pretty well for a 4-3 MLB.

I want it to be J.J. Watt but as has been pointed out a million times, he's not "most valuable", he's simply the best player around. I'd say that Gronk deserves a shout, but Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning are always going to be the front runners.

Watt for DPOY, Bell for OPOY, Arians for Coach, Beckham Jr. for OROY (or Zack Martin...) and I have no idea for DROY... Mack, Barr, Mosley, Borland, Donald... all in with a shout.

Well...the way I see it, the MVP should be about how much does one player improve the team's chance of winning. To me, JJ Watt improves his team's chances of winning more than any other player. He contributes on offense, as well as on defense, making big, big plays, every game.

I just don't see how the award has basically become 'most valuable quarterback'. That said...the Chargers game highlighted how important Peyton is to the Broncos (although I still have confidence in Osweiler to get it done when Peyton retires), and since coming back from his injury last season, Rodgers' importance to Green Bay has been reaffirmed...and then some.
Nice to see RG3 showing a few flashes. You don't want a talent like that to flame out if you're a fan of the game.

I read an article on NFL.com where Jay Gruden said he was going to play to RG3's strengths. RG3 is very good at the read-option plays.

1. Why not play to his strengths anyway?
2. It took him that long to realize that? o_O

RG3 will definitely be the Redskin's starter. He is talented, and I hope he continues his improvement.
Also...did any one catch that Utah trick play...their first offensive play in the Las Vegas Bowl, vs Colorado State.

It really has to be seen in slow-mo to be really appreciated (gif from SB Nation, but I slowed it down)

https://gfycat.com/DishonestDevotedKillifish
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jammy4041
I read an article on NFL.com where Jay Gruden said he was going to play to RG3's strengths. RG3 is very good at the read-option plays.

1. Why not play to his strengths anyway?
2. It took him that long to realize that? o_O

RG3 will definitely be the Redskin's starter. He is talented, and I hope he continues his improvement.

Hmm, I didn't see the article but I can kind of see where Gruden is going on this. Washington will never want to think of RG3 as a guy whose main strength is as a keeper threat on the zone-read because if they needed a QB like that they wouldn't want to mortgage their future for him. They could sign Tebow off the street, or trade a couple of blocking sleds over to Seattle for Terrelle Pryor who is bigger, faster and healthier. At this point I see RG3 almost like as a better version of Manziel. He can throw a wicked deep ball and he can scramble, but not do a whole lot else (of course Manziel hasn't actually shown that he can do either in the NFL yet, but he can). He looked good doing both with DJax making plays down the field.

This wasn't always the case, and the media/fan narrative with RG3 annoys me because of how much seems to have been forgotten in only a couple of years. Shanahan is on Bill Walsh's coaching tree (granted like half the coaches in the NFL are) and moreover he described his 2012 offense as west coast with a few wrinkles, most notably the pistol formation and zone read variations which Walsh would not have used. RG3 passed for over 3000 yards in both his good and his bad season taking shots and throwing bubbles, but also making great plays on standard WCO/pro concepts like snag, stick and smash (hey, that's my name!). Given that, I don't like the way fans complain that Gruden is stupid for trying to make him run the WCO, when he made the pro bowl doing that as a rookie and I don't like the way the media acts like the 800 yards and 7 TDs he rushed for were so much more than the 3000 yards and 20 TDs he threw for.

The new RG3 is a lot more limited, so hopefully a more "old school" gameplan where they run the ball and take deep shots will help his confidence so he can get back to being a complete quarterback that is actually worth what they gave up.
Also I went to bed before the half of the Chargers game, because I didn't want to lose an entire Sunday to witness a blowout. Wish I had powered through now.
Original post by jammy4041
Also...did any one catch that Utah trick play...their first offensive play in the Las Vegas Bowl, vs Colorado State.

It really has to be seen in slow-mo to be really appreciated (gif from SB Nation, but I slowed it down)

https://gfycat.com/DishonestDevotedKillifish

Nice throw by the QB.. Just barely gets to set his feet and then throws just over 50 yards with decent accuracy.
Woke up at 3am randomly and checked the score. Went back to sleep because it was 28 - 14 halfway through the 3rd quarter.

Damn.
Philly result is good for the 'Hawks. If Dallas lose and we win today then we're on track for number 1 seed. Yeahh
49ers rush for 300 yards plus yet still lose? :lol:

Seems like it was a very good game though.
Original post by ..DT..
How much have you paid off Parkey, Wattsy?

He's my kicker in my other championship game! And Detroit need to get their **** together and score a ****tonne of points against this car crash they call Chicago.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
He's my kicker in my other championship game! And Detroit need to get their **** together and score a ****tonne of points against this car crash they call Chicago.

This is destroying me in my other league as well. What's going on?

Latest