The Student Room Group

Guys paying for Girls. Do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
My boyfriend and I sometimes split it. Or one of us will just pay for the other. He doeysn't like people seeing me pay though :lol: in restaurants I have to give him my card and pin so he can do it :mmm:

Not too sure why. I don't think it makes him any less of a man and I'd much rather be fair about the money, but he doesn't seem to think so!
My boyfriend pays for almost everything. On our first date, I tried to pay for myself and he put the money back in my purse when I was in the toilet. We've been together 4 years and he's always paid for nearly everything. The main reason for this is that he works full time and I'm a student. I have a part time job but it's only a weekend job, and theres not much left after driving lessons and things for uni. However I try to pay, and when we go on holiday I contribute as much as I can, even if I can't quite make it to half. I don't expect him to pay, he's sort of a traditional guy, he likes treating me and I always let him know it's appreciated. It makes me feel bad that I can't afford to do the same, but as soon as I can, I intend to make up for it.
it depends who's richer
Reply 43
On first dates and just hanging out, pay 50/50. When the relationship is more long term or serious, sometimes she should pay for me and sometimes I'll pay for her.
Reply 44
Original post by 03jenniferp
I never expect to be paid for and insist to always go 50/50. It irritates me no end when they try and insist on it or act as if it hurts their pride for me to pay my half. The fact is I wouldn't want him to expect me to pay for him and it shouldn't work the other way round either. Girls who think men should pay have got to get over themselves...gender has no place in deciding how to split a bill.

True.
Reply 45
Well I think the boyfriend should always pay...

...joking.
Reply 46
If the guy i'm dating is wealthy and wants to go expensive places that I wouldn't be able to afford every week then I kind of expect him to pay but If its just the cinema or coffee than i'm happy to go 50:50..
Reply 47
Original post by LaughingBro
It's like girls expect us to carry their handbags. It just looks camp and embarrassing.

true, very true
If I'm going out with a girl I'm going to pay...but that's just me...
Reply 49
Anyone else who thought this was a thread about prostitution, raise your hand. *raises hand*

The way I see it, if she's able to, she's paying half unless we decide beforehand who is paying for everything.
Reply 50
For all the guys who insist on paying, how long would you carry on insisting if she wanted to pay her half?

I would always want to pay my fair share, but if the guy REFUSED to let me pay and wouldn't drop it after a couple of times, then I'd probably let him pay. Then still try and give him the money outside in case it was a pride thing. Gender shouldn't be a factor in how the bill's split :smile:
Original post by Jarlsberg
It is, but on certain occasions such as a boyfriend and girlfriend dating it's still more culturally popular for a man to pay for something, say eating in a restaraunt for example. Unless those stigmas are overcome then things aren't going to change easily.

Then be a trailblazer, refuse to pay :wink:
Reply 52
i wouldnt expect a guy to pay for things.. usualy il say something like how much do i owe you? :smile: but sometimes that ends in an argument when i insist on the guy taking some money off me lol depends what it is. Or il offer to buy next time or pay for something :smile:
I would say in the early days, I would offer and intend to pay.

However I wouldn't for girlfriends, at least not all the time. Especially if we were both students and therefore in the same boat of poverty. Dutch all the way mate.
Reply 54
Original post by Billydodger

Original post by Billydodger
So in the olden days, men used to pay for women. It was all part of courting a girl. Additionally, women weren't expected to have much money for paying for dinners, drinks, cinema, theatre etc as most didn't work, and when they did, it was in only very low paid jobs.

But now with 'equality' the tables are turned. Women generally have just as much money as men. Well enough to justify a 50:50 split of costs at least. So we've reached an awkward zone where some girls will expect to be paid for still and certain guys will be taken aback and annoyed by this.

My question is Do you guys sometimes feel it is a bit of a competition and if you are dating a considerably attractive, charming girl then theres always the chance that; if you don't pay for her, she'll go and find a boyfriend who will. Cos lets face it;its easier for girl to get a boyfriend than the other way round.

I've seen this mentioned on the thread "do you give your partner petrol money" recently, with some guys saying "I don't ask cos she could really go and find a boyfriend who wouldn't. Its a tight race"

This is a problem that I don't think should exist. If my gf goes find another guy who can pay for what I can't, then it means she cares about money more than she cares about me. This means that I made a bad choice, so it's better lose such a girl.
y would a girl go find another guy just cause he didnt pay? thats so wierd...i wouldnt mind if the guy didnt pay but most of the time the guy does pay for me....
On the first date, if the guy asks the girl out, he should pay really.

However, if the couple get in a relationship, they should split the cost or it would be unfair. However, it does depend on the income of them both too.
Reply 57
Original post by onthejubileeline
Then be a trailblazer, refuse to pay :wink:

I did that once and I got shunned by everyone in the restaraunt when I left lol. Which isn't fair because it's slightly sexist :s-smilie:
Original post by Jarlsberg
I did that once and I got shunned by everyone in the restaraunt when I left lol. Which isn't fair because it's slightly sexist :s-smilie:

Blimey, really? That's pretty sexist. The obvious way of getting around it is to have dates that don't cost much at all, like staying in and getting a DVD or something. Less pressure.
I guess it all changes when you have been with someone for more than a few years. I've been with my other half for almost six and a half years and these days we do tend to compromise somewhat. Going halves is much more plausible, especially now we are living together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending