The Student Room Group

What should I do?

Hi there!

So, I’ve been texting a guy for a few months now. And things were going well. He lives overseas. I was planning to visit him later this year possibly in winter. So, today he told me that he wanted to visit me next week as he has days off. And he wanted to book a flight. But he needed my help in paying around $500 as his flights would cost him around $2200.

Obviously, I didn’t expect him to come to visit me on a such short notice and so unexpectedly. On top of that, he’s asking me to pay for some of his expenses.

I obviously completely understand him. But I told him that I can’t send him money right away. And told him to wait for a few days till I get a salary. But he’s telling me that he wants to book flights today and asking me to send him money today. And I don’t know what should I do. Obviously I wanna see him but those expenses were not planned. And I won’t be able to send him money today.

P.S. I’ve met him online and we yet to see each other.

What should I do? I wanna see him but I can’t send him money on a such short notife

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi there!

So, I’ve been texting a guy for a few months now. And things were going well. He lives overseas. I was planning to visit him later this year possibly in winter. So, today he told me that he wanted to visit me next week as he has days off. And he wanted to book a flight. But he needed my help in paying around $500 as his flights would cost him around $2200.

Obviously, I didn’t expect him to come to visit me on a such short notice and so unexpectedly. On top of that, he’s asking me to pay for some of his expenses.

I obviously completely understand him. But I told him that I can’t send him money right away. And told him to wait for a few days till I get a salary. But he’s telling me that he wants to book flights today and asking me to send him money today. And I don’t know what should I do. Obviously I wanna see him but those expenses were not planned. And I won’t be able to send him money today.

What should I do? I wanna see him but I can’t send him money on a such short notife

STOP

This has scam written all over it!
How did you meet, have you seen him even on a video call?

This just sound like a typical overseas scam to get money off you
Reply 2
Original post by JDSensations
STOP

This has scam written all over it!
How did you meet, have you seen him even on a video call?

This just sound like a typical overseas scam to get money off you

Yes, I saw him on a video call
Yes, I saw him on a video call

Still doesn't feel right especially with the pressure to do it now. Personally I wouldn't. Just explain that there is no pressure to visit you as its still early, he will reveal his true intentions soon enough.
Yeah that absolutely sounds like you're being set up/ Mental to expect a large sum of money at short notice from someone you HAVE NEVER MET.
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah that absolutely sounds like you're being set up/ Mental to expect a large sum of money at short notice from someone you HAVE NEVER MET.

You think $500 is a large sum of money? According to him he is going to spend $2200
You think $500 is a large sum of money? According to him he is going to spend $2200

From a stranger? yeah, it's not huge, but this is student/school forum, so it's a lot to most.

The fact that they have introduced a 'ticking clock' to the situation where you need to quickly pay for a choice you didn't get a say in should be a massive red flag.

Call me a cynic, but if you send the $500, expect another message the day before the 'flight' saying he has some sort of emergency and needs you to front him more or the rest of the $2200 because they know you will prob say yes (See also Sunk Cost Fallacy)
Reply 7
So, he told me that he’s done with this. And told me that I’m making it too difficult. While I just told him that I won’t be able to pay for his partial expenses. He told me he just wanted me to prove that I want to see him by paying him? So what does it mean?
So, he told me that he’s done with this. And told me that I’m making it too difficult. While I just told him that I won’t be able to pay for his partial expenses. He told me he just wanted me to prove that I want to see him by paying him? So what does it mean?

It means you have had a lucky escape. Block all contact and move on with life

He. Is. A. Scammer.
Reply 10
Original post by StriderHort
He. Is. A. Scammer.

Hypothetically, let's say you meet a girl online who lives overseas and realize that you want to see her. Would you ask her to pay some expenses in order to go there, where she lives?

Or would you just pay for your trip yourself?

I’m just trying to understand men's minds. What they would or wouldn’t do if they like a girl
Hi there!

Sounds like a scam
Hypothetically, let's say you meet a girl online who lives overseas and realize that you want to see her. Would you ask her to pay some expenses in order to go there, where she lives?

I’m just trying to understand men's minds. What they would or wouldn’t do if they like a girl

Lets delve into it.
When did you meet. How did you meet you say online, was it a dating site, a random online chat platform for friends not dating, how often do you both speak, is it via messaging or calls?

It seems strange that he all of a sudden wants to come meet you and spend that much money, but also expect you to pay $500 towards it. Then when you can't he says it was a test to see if you are interested?

So does he want to come or was it a lie.

Either way if it wasn't a scam, it has red flags all over it and you are safer staying away from it.

Find a guy closer to home.

Don't read into something just because you think a guy likes you, there will be plenty of guys worth you time and effort in a safer environment

No, possibly if it was something we had both planned and agreed over a long time, but for some short notice presumptive request/demand? HELL no, I'd never presume such a thing from someone I've never met. As in, if I really liked a girl I'd met online, I would never put them in this position, the default would be that I pay my own way, all this would be way too pushy for me.

The fact that they immediately made this a case of 'If you don't give me $500 right now I'll go elsewhere' says everything you need to know.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 14
Lets delve into it.
When did you meet. How did you meet you say online, was it a dating site, a random online chat platform for friends not dating, how often do you both speak, is it via messaging or calls?

It seems strange that he all of a sudden wants to come meet you and spend that much money, but also expect you to pay $500 towards it. Then when you can't he says it was a test to see if you are interested?

So does he want to come or was it a lie.

Either way if it wasn't a scam, it has red flags all over it and you are safer staying away from it.

Find a guy closer to home.

Don't read into something just because you think a guy likes you, there will be plenty of guys worth you time and effort in a safer environment

Yes, it was a dating site. I met him on that site well over six months ago. We were speaking almost daily via video and voice calls. And all of a sudden today, he told me that he wanted to visit me next week and that I should pay some money. And that he wanted to spend his only vacation and a lot of money to see me.

I really can’t understand why he can’t just pay himself the cost of his trip. And he is saying that it became ridiculous.
Yes, it was a dating site. I met him on that site well over six months ago. We were speaking almost daily via video and voice calls. And all of a sudden today, he told me that he wanted to visit me next week and that I should pay some money. And that he wanted to spend his only vacation and a lot of money to see me.

I really can’t understand why he can’t just pay himself the cost of his trip. And he is saying that it became ridiculous.

It is ridiculous of him to spring that on you.
May I ask what age range you are in? Late teens, early 20's late 20's? Can you just drop all for him to even come over,
Reply 16
It is ridiculous of him to spring that on you.
May I ask what age range you are in? Late teens, early 20's late 20's? Can you just drop all for him to even come over,

Late 20’s

He is saying to prove that I like him by paying that money. He told me he wished he was worth this little bit of money
Late 20’s

He is saying to prove that I like him by paying that money. He told me he wished he was worth this little bit of money

Even if he is genuine, that is manipulation. Another warning.

Personally I would cut ties this all just sounds off.

Where is he from? This just shouts out 90 day fiancé where people are trying to wriggle their way in for a visa.
Do not let anyone black mail you, paying money in this situation to prove you like him, ridiculous
Nothing much to dwell on here, they’re just a scammer who ran out of patience.

1. He shouldn't be asking for such a large sum of money
2. He's pressuring you into it/emotionally blackmailing you
3. He suddenly wants to see you now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending