The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sinnoh
There are much better people at uni than me who are yet to make the team!

ohyou.png
Just 17 this time, and was in quite a bad place by the halfway mark.
i played a blinder this week...

got 9 past the students :smug:

i) Chabrol

ii) Hyderabad

iii) Jodhpur

iv) Hawaii

v) Coppelia

vi) Petruchka

vii) Sunningdale

viii) Windsor

ix) Cats

:hat2:
Arrived home halfway through the match, didn't keep track of my answers. I can never watch it as it's being broadcast, since quiz soc stuff finishes at 8 on Mondays :frown:

St John's definitely deserving the quarter final place.
Original post by Sinnoh
Arrived home halfway through the match, didn't keep track of my answers. I can never watch it as it's being broadcast, since quiz soc stuff finishes at 8 on Mondays :frown:

All things considered that's a bit of an awkward time for a Quiz Soc to have events, given it's the night all the major TV quizzes are broadcast! :lol:

The mighty Catz are back on for their second round next week!
Original post by Sinnoh
It did help with that question that in the run-up to the last US election I looked up every election on wikipedia in the past hundred years.

These are the trials for getting on to the university's team for University Challenge

Lol, hope you found time to eat.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
All things considered that's a bit of an awkward time for a Quiz Soc to have events, given it's the night all the major TV quizzes are broadcast! :lol:

The mighty Catz are back on for their second round next week!

Yeah it's a bit odd. At Cambridge quiz meetings also occur on Monday evenings.

Just caught up on yesterday's episode - got 23 questions this time. There was less of the comically easy questions that came up earlier this series, but that 1/16 as a percentage one came pretty close...
Just for once I'd like to see Paxman cut off a team for taking too long in bonuses. I've never seen it happen, but it really should have this time. Emmanuel were absolutely stalling at the end. Though there were a couple times when I wanted St Cats to get on with it.
after a slow start i got into my stride and finished with a magnificent hat trick of birds :smug:

8 past the students this week:

i) Gauguin

ii) Paternoster

iii) Japanese :ninja:

iv) Pillow Book

v) Perquisite

vi) Redshank

vii) Redstart

viii) Redwing

it was interesting to see Catz were kitted out in some kind of uniform ? :hmmmm2:
Original post by the bear
it was interesting to see Catz were kitted out in some kind of uniform ? :hmmmm2:

:yep:

Was a very deliberate plan to go on there and be a memorable team!
(edited 2 years ago)
a very exciting match.... Bristol clawed their way back only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory :emo:

i only got 2 past the students...

i) Hilbert

ii) Recherché .... tbh that was rather recherché :getmecoat:

That was a really good one. Got 24 questions in total, but then again they did get through a fair few questions.

Ones I got that they didn't:
Rechercher
Wyoming
Root
Just caught up. I didn't keep track of how many I got but surely having an entirely-German picture round when they had a player from Germany on one of the teams can't have been unintentional.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
:yep:

Was a very deliberate plan to go on there and be a memorable team!

I thought it made a nice picture, I wouldn't like to see it happen regularly on UC, but it looked good.
I was worried St Hilda's might finish on 0!
Original post by Sinnoh
I was worried St Hilda's might finish on 0!

they were in Dire Straits for quite a while ....

i managed to get 6 past the students this week:

i) Noisome

ii) Multi Factorial

iii) Chantry

iv) Suzanna

v) Paris

vi) Prophase

Just caught up. All very embarrassing, I genuinely thought Hilda would stop on zero! Reminded me of that episode when one of the Ox teams "surged up to zero" winning congratulations for that from Paxo. :teehee:

Trinners appear to be fairly titanic.
they were in Dire Straits for quite a while ....

i managed to get 6 past the students this week:

i) Noisome

ii) Multi Factorial

iii) Chantry

iv) Suzanna

v) Paris

vi) Prophase

Noisome was unaccountably hard, couldn't for the life of me think what it was and then it hit me when revealed as being fairly obvious. :rolleyes:

I also got Chantry but that was because I visited a cathedral with my mum a few months ago.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Noisome was unaccountably hard, couldn't for the life of me think what it was and then it hit me when revealed as being fairly obvious. :rolleyes:

I also got Chantry but that was because I visited a cathedral with my mum a few months ago.

i pronounce the N word differently from Mr Paxman... for me it is nwah-zohmmm not noise-ohm :rolleyes:
i pronounce the N word differently from Mr Paxman... for me it is nwah-zohmmm not noise-ohm :rolleyes:

Is it meant to be noizsum or noysum?

Quick Reply

Latest