The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Hedgeman49
Unless you know something I don't (ie. the actual results) then I don't think so. Against a stronger team, they wouldn't have been allowed to come back from 85 down and they were gifted a number of points on poor buzzes. Of course this could have just been a one-off poor performance but if it is indicative of actual strength they will struggle to progress.

I don't know the results, but this guy is from the University of Manchester and reading between the lines, either he's in the team and was making a joke or he knows the results and Manchester will win the series.
Original post by Zuzuzu
I don't know the results, but this guy is from the University of Manchester and reading between the lines, either he's in the team and was making a joke or he knows the results and Manchester will win the series.

Surely they haven't filmed all the episodes?

Either way

Joe Day is not in the team, but is doing physics with astrophysics - the same degree as one of the contestants in the Manchester team.

Possibly he is a friend of him and thus divulged whether they progressed a lot into the competition
Reply 1382
Original post by tehforum

Either way

Joe Day is not in the team, but is doing physics with astrophysics - the same degree as one of the contestants in the Manchester team.

Possibly he is a friend of him and thus divulged whether they progressed a lot into the competition

Or perhaps in the same tutorial group as him... :K:
Original post by ...mo...
You seem like an informed fan. I have a few questions.

1) do all of the universities enter?
2) are all the matches on TV.
3) why are Cambridge and Oxford allowed so many entries?

Thanks

lol, someone else has answered your question. hope their answer helped :').
Reply 1384
Original post by tehforum

The series is all recorded over a relatively short span of time, to get it all done in a single academic year, probably to avoid anything like the Corpus affair from a few years ago.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ho Chi Minh
Manchester won the last series (2011-12) and Magdalen didn't field a team. The one currently on BBC2 is 2012-13

I got the point.I did't know that University challenge extend to next year.
Thank you for your kind explanation.
Original post by BJack
Both Magdalen and Manchester are on the current series of University Challenge. However, people can only be on one series of University Challenge, so the current teams are different than the ones from Brain World Cup.

Oh,you saw Brain World Cup?I've seen latest Magdalen VS Sidney match in Youtube.
I'm surprised at the team absolutely different from previous one.I know Matthew study abroad but the others are undergraduate so I thought maybe they are in this series.Any way,it was nice current Magdalen won.
Loved that episode, amazing stuff from Manchester.
Reply 1388
anyone watch today's episode?
Reply 1389
Missed it unfortunately. Will be catching up on iplayer very soon!
Imperial were immense tonight. That Italian PHD student is something.
Got about 10 right tonight, never got that many before :biggrin:
Come one Jesus you're giving Cambridge a bad name
Original post by Aeschylus
Imperial were immense tonight. That Italian PHD student is something.

Agreed, kid was a beast
Original post by wasting-time
Come one Jesus you're giving Cambridge a bad name

Imperial are too good
I was better than Jesus for most of the game but then they beat me at the end. The questions seemed a lot nicer than last week to me. A lot more science.
Jesus were not the strongest and Imperial knew their stuff, but even so the questions fell well for Imperial.
fun fact: Imperial's Cottrell on tonight's episode is my boyfriend :biggrin: woop woop
Original post by francescarella
fun fact: Imperial's Cottrell on tonight's episode is my boyfriend :biggrin: woop woop

Tell him to get a shave :tongue:. my mum kept saying he needed a trim!

(joking you must be very proud!)
Original post by Aeschylus
Tell him to get a shave :tongue:. my mum kept saying he needed a trim!

(joking you must be very proud!)

haha don't worry i frequently make him shave (they filmed way back in feb iirc)
but yes i'm very proud. he does come across as a quirky smug **** though but that's the price you pay for fame :P he's lovely and shy and very very modest in real life.

Quick Reply

Latest