The Student Room Group

Is it better to go gym with a friend or alone.

What do you prefer? For me it's going alone with my headphones but I did find it useful the first couple of times I went, I went with my brother who showed me how the machines work and proper form etc..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I prefer a friend , gives you that extra motivation and makes it more fun but both works as long as you stick to some sort of a programme :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by haloturk
I prefer a friend , gives you that extra motivation and makes it more fun but both works as long as you stick to some sort of a programme :smile:

I think the music gives me all the motivation I need, I'm very aggressive because I'm usually very stressed I think that helps me push that little bit further.
Reply 3
I find it better by myself coz it means I can concentrate on the best workout for me, but going with someone does have it's benefits with motivation etc. Depends what mood I'm in really lol
I find going to the gym with a friend who's fitter than you helps, because I tend to work to keep up with them.

I'd rather go alone than with a friend who's less fit than me though; when I go with a less fit friend I do even less.
Reply 5
True both has its benifits i just like competing with my friends but when i do go on my own i find that i do my work out MUCH quicker
Reply 6
Just come back from gyming with a friend and my workout is definitely more intense without them, they usually end up distracting me and we leave earlier than necessary. It may sound ridiculous but I think if there is an attractive girl at the gym I will usually try larger weights and higher reps to look impressive...ergo my advice would be to always make sure you're surrounded by beautiful girls at the gym.
Reply 7
I'd rather try to make new friends at gym. gives me an opportunity to meet new people and make contacts. Furthur, i feel it develops my socialization skills and move out of my comfort zone.

Lately, me and some of the other folks at gym (including some instructors) went for a camping tour on bikes.

So being alone works for me. :wink:
Reply 8
with a friend, if u fall off the treadmill you can laugh it off
Reply 9
If you are new to the gym then I'd go with a friend
Reply 10
I usually go alone tbh. Less talking, more working. Although it is nice to have a spot and that but I end up wasting time aha
Reply 11
Original post by fangyfang
with a friend, if u fall off the treadmill you can laugh it off

I did that once but I was really small I was at a relatives house it was me and my cousin and they had a treadmill in there back room. I tried to show off slipped and banged my head and grazed my nose and was knocked out. Not a good day. At least my cousin was there to stop it. Well I hoped he stopped it and not stood there and laughed. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by killa78
I usually go alone tbh. Less talking, more working. Although it is nice to have a spot and that but I end up wasting time aha

In my gym if your squatting some guy just comes over but it's annoying if a weak guy comes over but some help is better than no help.
Reply 13
i do both, although most of the time i go alone.. although when im doing chest etc and need someone to spot me , then i bring a friend along. But yeh i prefer alone...
Both though I often prefer going on my own. Bringing someone with you seems to give extra motivation though they slow you down a little with all the talking instead of putting in work
I prefer to go with friends, I find it more fun and the element of competition definitely helps in testing and pushing my limits.
Reply 16
Original post by SAK.A
In my gym if your squatting some guy just comes over but it's annoying if a weak guy comes over but some help is better than no help.

What they come over to help even if you dont need it?
I find that annoying tbh. Everyone struggles on their last rep yet people usually just grab the bar off me, thinking ima let it drop lol. Kinda annoying. :biggrin:

Nice ethos in your gym though :smile:
Alone. I'd hate to go with a friend. Just like to go alone and do my own thing. Can do what I want, leave when I want. Much better.
depends on what your aim in the gym is. I do weights training which having a mate helps loads. Someone to spot me, rest periods are governed by each others set times, someone to force me go when I feel demotivated and someone to chat to to make it more interesting and therefore less like a chore
Reply 19
if you got a friend who is as competitive as you are, that'd be the best way. because you both would want to do more or better than one another, so it'll drive you to become fitter, stronger, faster, sharper.. or whatever your aim is, quicker than what you intend.

Quick Reply

Latest