The Student Room Group

Anxiety and gym

Hi, I'm 20 years old and skinny and would like to start building muscle in the gym. I'm a final year uni student so I ain't rich.

I don't like being watched if I'm working out. I don't like crowded spaces. I like doing things on my own. Anyone got any advice.

I want to start gym but its my anxiety.
I would start at home by doing a few gym workouts or get a gym buddy! Ask a friend to go with you and have a training session with you.
Original post by super_hannah
I would start at home by doing a few gym workouts or get a gym buddy! Ask a friend to go with you and have a training session with you.

That's the thing I have started at home I have dumbbells. Also, my friends live quite far so it would be a trip to get there gym.
(Original post by taranmistry)That's the thing I have started at home I have dumbbells. Also, my friends live quite far so it would be a trip to get there gym.

Original post by taranmistry
That's the thing I have started at home I have dumbbells. Also, my friends live quite far so it would be a trip to get there gym.

Could you not post on a forum for your uni? Say you're looking for a gym buddy and make some new friends?
Reply 4
Hi, I'm 20 years old and skinny and would like to start building muscle in the gym. I'm a final year uni student so I ain't rich.

I don't like being watched if I'm working out. I don't like crowded spaces. I like doing things on my own. Anyone got any advice.

im in the same position as you totally feel you on that. I especially dont like being stuck with my family constantly telling me what to do when i am an adult now.
Reply 5
The majority of people’s attention is focused inwards at the gym. They’re there to work on themselves. I get how you feel (was there a few months ago myself, but bit the bullet and started), but once you start going you’ll see that it’s like this. Now I just pop my earbuds in and crack on in my own little world.

As others have suggested, see if you can find a gym buddy. Does your uni have a gym? They’re often much cheaper as they’re aimed at being affordable on a student budget and may be more convenient if it’s on campus.

99% of people in the gym are focusing on themselves so dont worry but on that, join a 24/7 gym and just go at quieter times if you can.
Home workouts are good though and a set of dumbbells are cheaper enough these days

As others have said, bite the bullet and get you a** on the gym floor.... everyone's going to be too focused on their own workouts to notice or care what you're doing.

Pretty much every one at the gym had to start their journey at some point (some were skinny, others were fat). Either way, remember even the biggest oak tree in the forest was once just a tiny acorn no bigger than a couple of centimetres that fell to the ground.

Every first step doing something new will involve a degree of anxiety, and I'm sure you've felt like this before at some point, but you persevered anyway... let me ask you a question:- How often has it been as bad as you thought it would be? I bet hardly ever (even if it did happen).

FYI, gyms tend to be at their busiest either early morning (e.g. 0600-0830), early / mid evening (e.g. 1700-2030) and sometimes there's a mild peak at lunch time. They're normally fairly quiet outside those times. What's more, firms like Pure Gym; The Gym Group and Anytime Fitness are open 24/7 and the graveyard shift (0000-0600) is normally very quiet, with literally only a couple of people there. Having said that, while you're new, I would advise against training on your own (Health and safety).

Alternatively, you could start a blog on this board? I'm sure many people would support you on your journey
Reply 8

Totally get your not wanting to be watched in the gym. The good news is there's never been a better time to have access to a plethora of exercises than now.

Have you got a laptop? YouTube is full of excellent exercise videos. Is there a particular body part you want to concentrate on or not particular about anything? there are videos for every type of shape you could want. Just pop your laptop on and check out a few videos on, select one you like and commit to working out with it daily. Good luck!

just buy soum cheep gym equipment from Facebook marketplace
a solitary episode of opposition preparing prompted huge decreases in nervousness responsiveness," says Broman-Fulks. "The aggregate proof to date recommends that weight lifting might be a powerful method for diminishing uneasiness and other negative mind-set states."29-Blemish 2017
Original post by username4214464

I would join an affordable gym like pure gym as its open 24/7 anyway. Maybe start going at night time at first. You will quickly see your confidence though when u realise no one gives af what your doing haha. Although if you need help just ask someone they wont laugh as they have all been in your position before.
Do calisthenics in your room if it is really that deep. Otherwise in gyms nobody cares, they all have headphones in and won't really look at you. Besides, most people in gyms are insecure as well. Myself and many mates started going to the gym because we were insecure. Now we are not. Best way is to just step into the gym with an open mind and commit to it. Trust me, I don't remember anyone from my gym and I have been going to this one for a year.

Quick Reply

Latest