The Student Room Group

Persuing Drama

Okay, now I'm in Year 11 currently, and so haven't even completed college yet, but I'm curious as to how my options may affect my possible ambition to persue my interest in Drama and Theatre.

I'll quickly lay down what GCSEs I'm taking at the moment and what A-Levels I'm taking at college:
GCSEs in English (A/A*), Maths (A/A*), Triple Science (A/A*), Music (A/A*), French (A), OCR National ICT Level 2 (Distinction/A) Geography (A*) and Drama (A*)

A Levels in Physics, Maths, Computing and Music Technology

I know my A-Levels don't really do much for a career in Acting, but as I say, this is only a posibility and I didn't want to focus on it too much at the moment as if I choose not to persue it I may be left with qualifications that aren't worth a lot in other fields. However, I do take a large interest in Drama, and do a lot out of school.

But if I wanted to persue acting further, ie University or Drama School (Bearing mind I'm from Suffolk; quite far from most institutions), what are my chances, and what should I do, given that I'm not doing Performing Arts at college and assuming I get an A* at GCSE?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone? :smile:
Reply 2
As long as you show an active interest in drama out of school, you should be fine. LAMDA exams or equivalent would be good I guess. And English A-Level would have been nice. But I think you'll be fine. Try looking at university websites to see if they specify anything, call them up for further clarification.

Oh, and *pursue. Not persue. :smile:
Reply 3
Honestly, all I'd do is recommend doing maybe Theatre Studies or something along the lines as an A Level, though most universities don't ask for Drama as an A Level if you want to apply, especially if you do enough outside of class. Think about doing the National Youth Theatre, although the deadline has passed apply next year, it's not that hard to get in if you're focused and committed. :smile:

There are specific acting schools you could go to, which would be much better than a degree or A Level, but if you get into the NYT along with an acting school and all these other productions, you'd create a mighty fine portfollio if you wanted to audition else where. Just remember you have to work from the bottom up in acting most of the time, so just be prepared is all I can say and trust me, if you get into NYT take full advantage of it! Even if you get given a part as an Extra in a NYT performance, take it, look dedicated and committed and they'll consider giving you a better part next time if you have the talent. Just a reminder :P

Quick Reply

Latest