The Student Room Group

what A level should i take?

i am a year 11 student and i am planning to do economics in uni. ive heard that you need math in a level to persue economics however mathematics is not my strong suit. i am really good at accounting and i want to take media and English literature. media because i am interested in it, and litreature because ive heard that its highly respectded by universities. im planning 2 take all these 5 subjects as for now.. maths, econ, lit, media, and accounting. althought i know that its really tough. please help!!
Reply 1
it's probably not ideal to take 5 a levels that would be really time consuming and I don't know how you would fit all that in a timetable. have you looked on ucas at uni's providing an economics course and looked at the subjects they need and the grades first?
Original post by zahratherad
i am a year 11 student and i am planning to do economics in uni. ive heard that you need math in a level to persue economics however mathematics is not my strong suit. i am really good at accounting and i want to take media and English literature. media because i am interested in it, and litreature because ive heard that its highly respectded by universities. im planning 2 take all these 5 subjects as for now.. maths, econ, lit, media, and accounting. althought i know that its really tough. please help!!

Maths is essential for a lot of straight econ courses, and some people will also take further maths as it is also useful (but not required). English literature is a strong subject, so maths, econ and english look good. But I would advise against accounting and media (unless you really love them) as they are quite narrow subjects, and you’ll find some unis generally don’t look highly on them (eg have a look at LSE’s ‘non preferred subjects’). If you want to take up a fourth, you could consider a science or humanity like geo or phys? As they would strengthen your application more than accounting/media. If you have a clear idea of what you want, and you’d be fine getting in with the subjects you listed above, then you should be ok, but your plans may change so it’s best to take subjects which can keep doors open.
Reply 3
What grades are you expecting for GCSEs?

Quick Reply

Latest