The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charlie9872
Great signing for you guys, I feel he'll fit in your team well, especially with AVB's play style. Love some of the Liverpool fans calling him a mercenary, even though Spurs finished 17 points clear of them... If you were offered to go to a better club and higher wages you'd be an idiot not to take it up.

Liverpool fans just think because they're "Liverpool", they are entitled to everything. Apparently, all players logically or not should choose them regardless of what other teams are interested.
Reply 2021
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Liverpool fans just think because they're "Liverpool", they are entitled to everything. Apparently, all players logically or not should choose them regardless of what other teams are interested.

Nice generalisation you have there.
Given a 100m (or 50m reported by others) wad of cash to spend , apparently.

Next season gonna be crazy.
Original post by Colonel.
Good thing getting in AVB. Just get a striker ffs.

Word has it that Shola Ameobi is available for around the £40M mark :colonhash:
Original post by kuks
Nice generalisation you have there.

It's not a generalisation though, is it? When the majority of a group do something, I think I'm within my right to generalise for the sake of simplicity.

I've read up quite a few times (on numerous Liverpool sites/forums) that Siggurdson should sign for Liverpool over Spurs. Even though they've finished like 15 points (something along those lines) above you, have a vastly superior squad and not to mention, have the attraction of being a London club.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2025
Original post by Darth Vader 7
It's not a generalisation though, is it? When the majority of a group do something, I think I'm within my right to generalise for the sake of simplicity.

I've read up quite a few times (on numerous Liverpool sites/forums) that Siggurdson should sign for Liverpool over Spurs. Even though they've finished like 15 points (something along those lines) above you, have a vastly superior squad and not to mention, have the attraction of being a London club.

I agree with all those points. I can see why he's gone there. Money, London, higher league positions and even AVB are all things we can't/didn't offer him. Upset we missed out on him but it's not the end of the world some fans are making it out to be.
Original post by Kruz
It's funny how my Liverpool supporting mates were dick riding him, couple of weeks ago, now they're saying he's average lolololol deluded scousers.

June 16 - Liverpool FC News ‏@LiverpooIFCNews

Sigurdsson is a great signing, 22 years old, 18 appearances, 7 goals and 4 assists from midfield for Swansea last season.

15 minutes ago - Liverpool FC News ‏@LiverpooIFCNews

Glad the Sigurdsson saga is over now, he was hyped up for weeks but reality is 99% of us didn't know who he was before Swansea loan.

(copied from elsewhere)
Original post by Tommyjw
June 16 - Liverpool FC News ‏@LiverpooIFCNews

Sigurdsson is a great signing, 22 years old, 18 appearances, 7 goals and 4 assists from midfield for Swansea last season.

15 minutes ago - Liverpool FC News ‏@LiverpooIFCNews

Glad the Sigurdsson saga is over now, he was hyped up for weeks but reality is 99% of us didn't know who he was before Swansea loan.

(copied from elsewhere)

Liverpool fans for you.
Doesn't Sigurdsson play as a no.10 (behind the striker)? What does this mean for van der Vaart? Or could he be dropped to a CM and be played alongside Sandro or Parker. So that could be a way of replacing Modric and not losing your creativity from midfield.
I see there are rumours of Lloris coming in to replace Friedel. £16m is a good price, top GK and only 25. Looks a bit like Casillas :biggrin:
Reply 2030
Original post by charlie9872
Great signing for you guys, I feel he'll fit in your team well, especially with AVB's play style. Love some of the Liverpool fans calling him a mercenary, even though Spurs finished 17 points clear of them... If you were offered to go to a better club and higher wages you'd be an idiot not to take it up.

As the quoted tweet says, he was hyped up... I hoped we could get him but I'm not really bothered, didn't know who he was before we got Rodgers and the rumours started anyway.

And yeah Spurs did finish '17 points clear of us' but you've also sacked the manager that got you there for no reason, you no longer have Adebayor and Modric or Van der Vaart may yet be leaving.
Hi guys long time no speak !!

Lots has happened lately, I think avb could well turn out to be a positive appointment but is a gamble

I worry for the future of modric though
Original post by Jim-Jam
As the quoted tweet says, he was hyped up... I hoped we could get him but I'm not really bothered, didn't know who he was before we got Rodgers and the rumours started anyway.

And yeah Spurs did finish '17 points clear of us' but you've also sacked the manager that got you there for no reason, you no longer have Adebayor and Modric or Van der Vaart may yet be leaving.

At the risk of feeding the troll...

The point isn't that "he was hyped up" as if it was just something that happened outside the control of Liverpool fans. It was the Liverpool fans doing the hyping. For them to say how amazing he is when they thought he would sign for them and then say they never really heard of him the moment he rejects them is somewhat pathetic.
Reply 2033
Original post by doggyfizzel
I see there are rumours of Lloris coming in to replace Friedel. £16m is a good price, top GK and only 25. Looks a bit like Casillas :biggrin:

You do mean physically, don't you. :colonhash:
Thought Lloris was going to Arsenal?

Welcome back JD :biggrin:
Original post by Abiraleft
You do mean physically, don't you. :colonhash:
Yeah, I haven't seen enough of him to compare styles.
Reply 2036
Original post by rockrunride
Thought Lloris was going to Arsenal?

Welcome back JD :biggrin:

Most people agree that that's just silly-season speaking. :dontknow:
Original post by jermaindefoe
I think avb could well turn out to be a positive appointment but is a gamble

Providing he learns from the mistakes he did at Chelsea I see your lot as a solid CL spot competitor. You may end up displacing Arsenal as a regular CL qualifier in the next few seasons. You're going places.
Reply 2038
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Providing he learns from the mistakes he did at Chelsea I see your lot as a solid CL spot competitor. You may end up displacing Arsenal as a regular CL qualifier in the next few seasons. You're going places.

I would guess he'd encounter less problems than he did at Chelsea, because there seems to be less to change to replicate the kind of system he had at Porto.
Original post by Abiraleft
I would guess he'd encounter less problems than he did at Chelsea, because there seems to be less to change to replicate the kind of system he had at Porto.

True. I was thinking more of the fact that the way he treated some players didn't help. There is player power and there's disrespecting great servants of your club. He shunned Alex and Anelka so they trained away from the first team (no final send off from the fans for those two at the Bridge?), playing a high defensive line with Terry in defence (I'm faster than him), picking fights with Gary Neville, leaving out three much needed players away to Napoli who beat City there (I think), overplaying dross players like Malouda etc. I think he was at Chelsea too early. You can't change things too quickly regarding the style of play and expect it to work. Sammy Lee tried that at Bolton didn't he? Even Scolari managed to get us playing some attractive football but the team is used to playing differently so results will suffer and can only change during changes made during the transfer window, which takes time.

Quick Reply

Latest