The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mess.
I didn't realise Vertonghen had actually signed :lolwut: When did that happen!?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Fortnight or so ago :p:
Reply 2143
Original post by rockrunride
Fortnight or so ago :p:

:facepalm2: Did it happen on a Tuesday/Wednesday? As that would explain why I didn't notice it :mmm:

------

As for the Bale thing, the Olympics aren't an official FIFA tournament and aren't official FIFA matches are they? So therefore FIFA has no jurisdiction and the proposed ban is self serving publicity nonsense?

Original post by Mess.

As for the Bale thing, the Olympics aren't an official FIFA tournament and aren't official FIFA matches are they? So therefore FIFA has no jurisdiction and the proposed ban is self serving publicity nonsense?

Correct, by my understanding.
So is there actually a rule banning players from not going to tournaments if they don't want to? So if, say, an English player refused to take part in the World Cup because the team's captain was a ****, could that player be banned under FIFA rules?

That seems like a totally crap law to me.
Reply 2146
Original post by UniOfLife
So is there actually a rule banning players from not going to tournaments if they don't want to? So if, say, an English player refused to take part in the World Cup because the team's captain was a ****, could that player be banned under FIFA rules?

That seems like a totally crap law to me.

If a player outright refuses to play in any FIFA sanctioned event with their national team (including friendly matches) then the nations FA can appeal to FIFA and have the player banned for the period they should be with the national team (I don't know the rules regarding what happens of the player doesn't have a match during this period, whether FIFA can force their ban on to the next domestic game etc. I doubt it though).

Reply 2147
No edit on the app :rolleyes:

The FA likely wouldn't bother directing the situation you describe to FIFA. It's more for the likes of Ryan 'I've literally torn my whole left leg off' Giggs missing every friendly for Wales whilst magically being 100% fit for every united game before and after.

Original post by Mess.
No edit on the app :rolleyes:

The FA likely wouldn't bother directing the situation you describe to FIFA. It's more for the likes of Ryan 'I've literally torn my whole left leg off' Giggs missing every friendly for Wales whilst magically being 100% fit for every united game before and after.

Even in that case it ought to be his choice. Why should someone be forced to play a game (for free) against their will.

To put it in a better context, if I was England's best accountant, I still wouldn't expect to be forced to work for free to represent my country in the world accountancy competition. If I felt it an honour and privilege to do so then I might well do it and fight hard to get the chance. But if I didn't want to and someone told me I had to I'd tell them to **** off.
Reply 2149
Even in that case it ought to be his choice. Why should someone be forced to play a game (for free) against their will.

To put it in a better context, if I was England's best accountant, I still wouldn't expect to be forced to work for free to represent my country in the world accountancy competition. If I felt it an honour and privilege to do so then I might well do it and fight hard to get the chance. But if I didn't want to and someone told me I had to I'd tell them to **** off.

It is a ridiculous rule but do you honestly expect any better from FIFA by now :sigh: The only thing they should really do (and even I think this is ridiculous even though I've just thought of it), is if they believe you to be lying just ban you for the next game but punish your national team by forcing them to actually include you in the squad if you want your ban to disappear. Could be a cumulative thing as well if you miss multiple games :dontknow: At least then it is all staying within their competition.

This was highlighted when Claude Makelele announced his retirement from international football, still playing for us, but Raymond Domenech wanted to play him for France still. Jose Mourinho then created a storm by dubbing Makelele as a slave to France. I'm not overly fond of banter like this but this one was good.
Sympathies for JD re. his cousin :sad:
Original post by rockrunride
Sympathies for JD re. his cousin :sad:

That's his cousin and his dad this summer now isn't it? :frown: My sympathies as well, he must be going through a really tough time.
Thoughts with Jermain, awful to lose two family members in such a short space of time.

Incidentally, I saw a lot of whinging about Danny Rose on Twitter. Didn't see the match, but was he really that poor? Granted a lot of it seemed to be aimed at his hairstyle more than anything.
Reply 2154
O'Hara still with you lot?

He's just had one hell of an argument with Leon Knight on twitter ... - (**** footballer that no-one knows)

And I mean massive

Utterly hilarious

Check that out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2155
Shame for Defoe, big shame. :frown:
Reply 2156
Absolutely hilarious that Knight - O'Hara argument. Danielle Lloyd is getting absolutely rinsed.

Leon Knight ‏@LeonKnight82

Bitch has been beat out so much she prob has to wear a nappy lmfao #baggy

:lol:
Sometimes Twitter can solve everything :moon:

But who the hell is Leon Knight?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TM94
O'Hara still with you lot?

He's just had one hell of an argument with Leon Knight on twitter ... - (**** footballer that no-one knows)

And I mean massive

Utterly hilarious

Check that out.

I've just read the through the argument, my god football players can't spell properly :facepalm2:. Also, LOOOOOOL! Leon owned Jamie ahhh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2159
#passedaroundlikeatubofshowergel

:lolwut:

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Quick Reply

Latest