The Student Room Group

PhD in maths -- help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Im sure u will work it out
Reply 21
Original post by c_confused
Yay, that makes me feel better! I studied MMath at Exeter and graduated last June, I've had a year break this year. I applied to Exeter, Southampton, the BAS and Warwick. Southampton was the awful interview. It actually made me not want to attend even if I did get an offer (which I didn't lol). I'd like to move away from Exeter really so if Warwick offered me a place I'd probably take it. I was just worried because Warwick is one of the best unis for maths so I thought the interview might be worse lol

How'd it go then? Also what will you do for accommodation if you choose Warwick? Are you not worried that it's in Coventry (not a great place)?
Reply 22
Original post by Usar
How'd it go then? Also what will you do for accommodation if you choose Warwick? Are you not worried that it's in Coventry (not a great place)?

It went ok, though it sounds pretty daunting! One of the interviewers made it clear that he thought I wouldn't be up to all the work I would have to do to 'catch-up'. He said they look at maths in a completely different way to the way I was taught or something :s-smilie: I haven't heard back yet but all the rest of the interviewers were really positive so who knows.

The thing that worries me is that it seems wherever you live you'll be spending a lot of money on travel to campus. Im not worried so much about coventry specifically, I've seen worse lol, but the location of campus seems pretty out of the way. I was just gonna look into all that if I get offered a place really
Reply 23
Get a bike.
Yay, that makes me feel better! I studied MMath at Exeter and graduated last June, I've had a year break this year. I applied to Exeter, Southampton, the BAS and Warwick. Southampton was the awful interview. It actually made me not want to attend even if I did get an offer (which I didn't lol). I'd like to move away from Exeter really so if Warwick offered me a place I'd probably take it. I was just worried because Warwick is one of the best unis for maths so I thought the interview might be worse lol

Out of curiosity; what did you get grades-wise? I know it's a while away yet but I'm considering a PhD after the degree I want to do now(as per my sig) and seeing as you did a MMath at Exeter that's encouraging news since I'd really like to go to a uni of the likes of Warwick(for the PhD) and I've heard that in some ways you're at a disadvantage to 1 year MSci students, if you're doing the MMath, who have more research orientated skills.
Reply 25
Original post by alexs2602
Out of curiosity; what did you get grades-wise? I know it's a while away yet but I'm considering a PhD after the degree I want to do now(as per my sig) and seeing as you did a MMath at Exeter that's encouraging news since I'd really like to go to a uni of the likes of Warwick(for the PhD) and I've heard that in some ways you're at a disadvantage to 1 year MSci students, if you're doing the MMath, who have more research orientated skills.

Well I got a first, just. But to be honest even on the MMath, in the final year you're exposed to more research than a normal undergrad degree, or I was anyway (a 40 page research project and 2 15 page reports on a specific case studies). Maybe not to the same extent as others but in the interviews the amount of research experience I had wasnt an issue anyone raised.
Reply 26
It went ok, though it sounds pretty daunting! One of the interviewers made it clear that he thought I wouldn't be up to all the work I would have to do to 'catch-up'. He said they look at maths in a completely different way to the way I was taught or something :s-smilie: I haven't heard back yet but all the rest of the interviewers were really positive so who knows.

The thing that worries me is that it seems wherever you live you'll be spending a lot of money on travel to campus. Im not worried so much about coventry specifically, I've seen worse lol, but the location of campus seems pretty out of the way. I was just gonna look into all that if I get offered a place really

Yeah one of the interviewers was like that to me as well. That's one of the things I don't like about Warwick... not many places on campus and off campus seems far away. I just hope I get a place on campus in the first year otherwise it's gonna be hard.
Original post by NegativeEpsilon
I think it's worth your while applying to places for a PhD. When I applied for mine last year, all I said was that I wanted to study algebra - maths depts don't expect you to be that specific when you apply, so it should be ok for you to just say you want to do analysis (although why is beyond me :tongue:). Obviously it would be an advantage to have had some exposure to the uni's research-type stuff, but the main things they will be looking for is that you're a good student (which it sounds like, if you're hoping for a first) and that you have the drive and determination to succeed in a research based degree.

Don't worry about not being at a top 5 uni currently - potential supervisors will be more interested in you and not which uni you come from. Make sure you apply to lots of places - whilst you might get offers they may not all be funded, and it will be pretty expensive to do an unfunded PhD. Applications all tend to be fairly standard, but you will need at least 2 references. And you should expect to go for a few "interviews" (some unis may pay your travel expenses for this) but these are mostly so supervisors can discuss projects with you and current PGs can take you out for lunch.

In short - apply for PhDs if that's what you want to do after the masters! There's nothing to lose.

Good response :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest