The Student Room Group

Animation Arts interview Bournemouth Uni

Hi guys,

I have an interview for Computer Animation Arts at Bournemouth on the 16th feb, I'm so nervous as it's the course I reeeeally want to do so can anyone shed some light on what happens at the interview please?
I know that there's a maths, logic and life drawing test and then the interview but any details would be great :biggrin:

Thanks!
Reply 1
Little bump, im doing the same and i'm nervous too, its just such a great course but i know ill have to impress to stand a chance at getting an achievable offer.

What's the portfolio meant to be like? (number of pages? size? mounted?)
If i know what animation students are aiming for at least i'll be a little prepared, all the courses i applied for were Bsc's and i didnt think id need an art porfolio, suddenly im gonna have to put one together from crap D: (i'm applying to do bournemouth new BSc in special effects and graphics programming)

Goodluck anyway :smile: We'll find out soon i guess.
Reply 2
Original post by CrazyFreyz
Hi guys,

I have an interview for Computer Animation Arts at Bournemouth on the 16th feb, I'm so nervous as it's the course I reeeeally want to do so can anyone shed some light on what happens at the interview please?
I know that there's a maths, logic and life drawing test and then the interview but any details would be great :biggrin:

Thanks!

Original post by hugbot
Little bump, im doing the same and i'm nervous too, its just such a great course but i know ill have to impress to stand a chance at getting an achievable offer.

What's the portfolio meant to be like? (number of pages? size? mounted?)
If i know what animation students are aiming for at least i'll be a little prepared, all the courses i applied for were Bsc's and i didnt think id need an art porfolio, suddenly im gonna have to put one together from crap D: (i'm applying to do bournemouth new BSc in special effects and graphics programming)

Goodluck anyway :smile: We'll find out soon i guess.

Hey guys,

first off, there is a pretty huge thread with all things animation, Im pretty sure I've replied to a very similar question on it so take a look if you haven't already:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=301364&stat_userid=358950&stat_usergroupid=12&stat_membergroupids=&stat_widgettype=primary&stat_widgetname=widget_watched_threads

Anyways, I successfully applied to this course (although I ended up choosing to go elsewhere) so I'll try to answer your questions here.

First, the question about the portfolio, I think mine was about 20 sides of A2, clearly presented & mounted within a leather portfolio. Dont worry too much about quantity, just concern yourself with getting a few really good quality pieces in there which show some key aspects like rendering form, volume, movement and throw in some good life-drawings if you have any I found they were particularly interested in mine. I also brought along a selection of sketchbooks to back up what i had in the portfolio and also display what else i got up to.

The interview process im sure will be quite different depending on who you have interviewing you. My interviewer said he knew what he was looking for and actually didnt ask or want me to say much :tongue: lol, so it's important that whatever you're showing is in some sort of sequential or themed order or otherwise makes reasonable sense without too much explanation.

Other than that there's the maths test which I passed on the back of Maths GCSE alone. I didnt do any other prep for this, but it's really just bits of trig, algebra and a few random algorithms. It's about 20 minutes long and multiple choice. If you've done A-level maths you'll be fine, if not then you might want to consider looking over a few key areas.

The logic test was slightly more tricky. More algorithms and various problem solving questions. I really dont know how to advise you to prepare for this one, sorry. I dont remember it being multiple choice and it's also about 20 minutes long.

Life drawing was for about 30-40 minutes and we were asked to draw the figure in a series of several different poses. These will then be taken with your test results and you will be asked about them in your interview. I can not stress enough how important life drawing practice is. So if you havent already, make the effort to take yourself along to a few sessions. I'd been going to weekly sessions for about a year before my interviews and it undoubtedly gave me an advantage over many of the applicants. Not only this but you will find the skills you learn from life drawing will be extremely useful throughout your time at uni and during your career as animator. So start now and never stop :tongue:

Hope this has been of help guys, like i said, check out that thread for more info.

Quick Reply

Latest