The Student Room Group
Graduation
Arts University Bournemouth
Poole
Visit website

Is getting into AUB difficult? (for the Animation Production course)?

Hi! I may have made some stupid decisions and I have rejected all of my offers in order to apply for AUB through UCAS Extra. I managed to get into both Hertfordshire and Bournemouth University for animation, which are both very tricky to get into (or so I heard anyway). Despite this, I still don't believe that my portfolio is as good as others, added onto the fact that I'm applying late.

Since I've already applied, there is absolutely no going back now, and if I get rejected from AUB then I'm done for and will probably have to wait until next year. How strict is AUB in terms portfolio's? I have never been able to study art, and I'm completely self taught meaning that I have a disadvantage over others. Is the animation course there super competitive with high standards? Just wanna know now to prepare myself for possibly being rejected, haha!

Also any idea on how long it'll take for them to review my portfolio? It's only been 2 days, but the dread of waiting for a response is killing me!
Ring up Herts and BU on Tuesday and ask if they’ll take you back through Extra if you don’t get an offer from your extra choice.
Graduation
Arts University Bournemouth
Poole
Visit website
Reply 2
If you don't get an offer from AUB then you might consider applying for their Foundation diploma course which is a 1 year FE course. If you pass that course, you are automatically offered a place on any follow on course there (including animation.)
It will take you one year longer but it is a route into AUB this year and also will improve your portfolio.
Details here: https://aub.ac.uk/courses/foundation-courses/foundation-diploma

However, fingers crossed you get in anyway!
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SolarPunch33
Hi! I may have made some stupid decisions and I have rejected all of my offers in order to apply for AUB through UCAS Extra. I managed to get into both Hertfordshire and Bournemouth University for animation, which are both very tricky to get into (or so I heard anyway). Despite this, I still don't believe that my portfolio is as good as others, added onto the fact that I'm applying late.

Since I've already applied, there is absolutely no going back now, and if I get rejected from AUB then I'm done for and will probably have to wait until next year. How strict is AUB in terms portfolio's? I have never been able to study art, and I'm completely self taught meaning that I have a disadvantage over others. Is the animation course there super competitive with high standards? Just wanna know now to prepare myself for possibly being rejected, haha!

Also any idea on how long it'll take for them to review my portfolio? It's only been 2 days, but the dread of waiting for a response is killing me!

Hi, do you mean that you decided to cancel your offers to Herts and BU?

I think if you got offered a place at Hertfordshire, it is likely you will be also be offered a place at AUB, as Hertfordshire is also hard to get into. Though I obviously can't say for sure as I haven't seen your portfolio. Another factor is that since you did not apply to AUB before the equal consideration deadline in January, this means your application isn't as prioritised as someone who may have applied before the deadline. However their website says they still have places available, and a lot of people who applied before January and got offers may not choose to take up their offers as well. So I would try not to panic too much! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, do you mean that you decided to cancel your offers to Herts and BU?

I think if you got offered a place at Hertfordshire, it is likely you will be also be offered a place at AUB, as Hertfordshire is also hard to get into. Though I obviously can't say for sure as I haven't seen your portfolio. Another factor is that since you did not apply to AUB before the equal consideration deadline in January, this means your application isn't as prioritised as someone who may have applied before the deadline. However their website says they still have places available, and a lot of people who applied before January and got offers may not choose to take up their offers as well. So I would try not to panic too much! :smile:

Thank you so much for this response! Yes, I did get offered a place at Herts and BU, which I had to reject to apply to AUB. Unfortunately, I just got the email saying that I didn't get into AUB and I've been recommended to go onto their foundation course. I may do their foundation course, but not getting a student loan whilst having to live away looks intimidating. I appreciate your support though!
Thank you so much for this response! Yes, I did get offered a place at Herts and BU, which I had to reject to apply to AUB. Unfortunately, I just got the email saying that I didn't get into AUB and I've been recommended to go onto their foundation course. I may do their foundation course, but not getting a student loan whilst having to live away looks intimidating. I appreciate your support though!

If you want to hedge your bets then you should be able to apply for the FAD at AUB directly and also contact herts and/or BU to ask if they’ll reinstate your offer if you apply back to them in Extra.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
If you want to hedge your bets then you should be able to apply for the FAD at AUB directly and also contact herts and/or BU to ask if they’ll reinstate your offer if you apply back to them in Extra.

Herts and BU won't accept me back, and I wouldn't be able to go to Bournemouth to study the foundation diploma as I don't live close enough and I can't afford to pay for accommodation myself. I'm currently applying for the art and design foundation course at my local college. Hoping to build a better portfolio so that I can apply to AUB next year! I'm still unsure if the college will let me into the course because I don't have some of the qualifications needed :') (I wasn't able to study art for GCSE, as well as having studied an animation extended diploma in college whilst they're after an art and design extended diploma)
Herts and BU won't accept me back, and I wouldn't be able to go to Bournemouth to study the foundation diploma as I don't live close enough and I can't afford to pay for accommodation myself. I'm currently applying for the art and design foundation course at my local college. Hoping to build a better portfolio so that I can apply to AUB next year! I'm still unsure if the college will let me into the course because I don't have some of the qualifications needed :') (I wasn't able to study art for GCSE, as well as having studied an animation extended diploma in college whilst they're after an art and design extended diploma)

Have you asked them? Most universities will accept you back in cases like this.

Herts isn’t publicly open at the moment (but they could open to accept you if they’re willing) but BU are still open for late/extra applications.

There are bursaries available for FAD students living away from home if you are from a low income family. But you need to actually have an application and an offer to get rough details of the amounts.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Im a bit shocked. U of Herts is considered one of the best animation courses in the world, if you got in your portfolio must be good. And I’m not sure why you think you need a Foundation then? Why do you want to go to AUB over two excellent offers? Yes it’s also very good, but not harder to get into than UoH or BU. I think you not getting in now is more to do with the late application. Frankly I think you should try and get back in to Herts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending