The Student Room Group

My course isn't preparing me for industry life.

I do Creative Events: Design and Production which is basically designing an event, but making it creative and quite artistic. It also involves setting up small companies to create events and even designing invitations and leaflets, and setting up lights and speakers.

The issue is, I really don't feel prepared doing this course. I'm in my second term of the second year and so much of what we have done has been a complete waste. On thursday we had to create cardboard masks of ourselves and then today wear them and act in front of the camera. Last year we had to play in a box for hours on end, and do research on local towns in the area. What does that have to do with events?

I feel my lecturers are treating this course like a foundation art and design course, trying a little bit of everything in the hope that we'll find something enjoyable, and subsequently I feel so unprepared. I couldn't plan an event if my degree depended on it!

It's a relatively new course and the content changes every year, would it be worth complaining that what we are doing isn't relevant? I would transfer uni but this uni is the only one that does course. It's really stressing me out because I know the chances of getting a job after my degree are low and this isn't helping :frown:
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Which university are you at?
Reply 3
I would have a chat with someone, but try not to make it as though you're complaining. If it's a new course then they're probably just finding their feet with it, but seeing as you're in your second year and still don't feel as if what you've done is helping you in any way then I'd defiantly speak to someone about it.

Sorry if that's not much help!
Reply 4
"On thursday we had to create cardboard masks of ourselves and then today wear them and act in front of the camera."

lol...
Reply 5
Original post by sarah040791
Which university are you at?

Kent.
Reply 6
I'd talk to your course tutors... but initially if you're not happy with it, don't waste any more of your time and money. You have many years ahead of you, it's not like you're in a rush.
Original post by kat2pult
I do Creative Events: Design and Production which is basically designing an event, but making it creative and quite artistic. It also involves setting up small companies to create events and even designing invitations and leaflets, and setting up lights and speakers.

The issue is, I really don't feel prepared doing this course. I'm in my second term of the second year and so much of what we have done has been a complete waste.

. It's really stressing me out because I know the chances of getting a job after my degree are low and this isn't helping :frown:

Although its a new course, and the staff may be 'finding their feet' it is still not at all fair that there's no real direction, and that you're not learning anything.

I know it is more events based-work that you're wanting to do, but is there not another potential course that you may enjoy at the same Uni? If you find something that interests you/has a decent repuatation, you may be able to transfer course and start in the second year in September, rather than start all over again - especially if you show how dedicated you'd be.

It's important that you tell the Head of School, or some other member of staff about how you feel - it's affecting you, so it could really impact on the new starters and so on. You need to let someone now. Do others feel the same? If so, a joint appeal could make it seem more urgent.

If you feel that you're not learning and not prepared for industry, then the course isn't for you. There's no point spending all that money for something you'll not get anything back from.

Good luck, I'm sure something will work out :smile:
Well what career is it you are looking to get into? What ever that is make sure you find some companies and do some work experience... It seems like its a mish mash of different courses?
Reply 9
Original post by RealityIsDull
Well what career is it you are looking to get into? What ever that is make sure you find some companies and do some work experience... It seems like its a mish mash of different courses?

Yep, and subsequently employers just aren't taking my course seriously which is expected. If it was more to do with the design of events then I am sure they would do.

I will try to get work experience, I think it's my only way out of this black hole. Now, for this course, we have to make puppets. Giant puppets. Wtf does that have to do with events? :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest