The Student Room Group

Help picking my course!

I am in year 13 and have no clue what I want to study at uni. I currently study biology (C), engineering (D/M) and photography(A*).
My dream job would be something in motorsport (particularly f1) and I have a background in sports, especially on the talent pathway(cricket). I am unsure of what course I want to do, currently looking at a film production degree but I don’t know. Any suggestions?
(edited 4 months ago)
It sounds like an apprenticeship or going straight into work would be better. Look for things in media, sports and advertising. Ask your school, local charities and or recruiters for advice. Also lots of apprenticeships can be found on the gov website.
This is gonna sound really harsh, but a photography degree isn’t worth it. It’s a skill you can learn at home and employers won’t be super impressed when they see it. My advice would be to look at other degrees like business or media studies and then try get some practical work experience on the side.

If you want something specifically motorsport though then the National Academy of Motorsport does degrees: https://motorsport.nda.ac.uk/
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies so far.
I have looked at possible apprenticeships or degrees in engineering but all require a level maths which I did not do, or an engineering course centred around automotive/mechanical (the course I’m on is mostly engineering design and almost all CAD!). I was looking at either photography or film production, mainly due to getting some contacts in the industry as opposed to the actual learning! The main problem I’ve got is that I’m a young female living in the north without an engineering background and not much opportunity to have had practice experience in the fields that I’m interested in, making it super hard to find any appropriate apprenticeships/jobs/degrees that I would be successful in applying to.
Reply 5
Thanks for taking the time to reply, however I havent studied A level maths, a requirement for all of those courses you have just linked.
Original post by Rhixno
I am in year 13 and have no clue what I want to study at uni. I currently study biology (C), engineering (D/M) and photography(A*).
My dream job would be something in motorsport (particularly f1) and I have a background in sports, especially on the talent pathway(cricket). I am unsure of what course I want to do, currently looking at the photography degree but I don’t know. Any suggestions?

Hello!

It's great you have reached out for advice - choosing a uni course can be overwhelming!

Here at Herts, we offer a huge range of courses. With your dream job in mind, our BSc Motorsport Technology requires BCC-BBC with a minimum of two A levels (no specific subjects). We do need grade 4 or above in English language and mathematics GCSE. You could also consider our Engineering with Foundation Year - this programme is an ideal alternative route to higher education and prepares you for progression to an engineering related honours degree. Or perhaps one of our sport courses would be of interest?
We're holding our open day tomorrow, Saturday 14 October if you wanted to come along and talk directly to course leaders about your options. Open days are such a great way to explore your options and we run subject taster sessions so you can get a feel for the courses you're interested in - you can book here and if you can't make it tomorrow, our next one is on Saturday 25 November and you can book from the same link.

Hope this helps but please let us know if you have any other questions.

All the best with your continued research!

Gaynor
Marketing and Communications Team
You should check out the 'Formula Careers' website, they have a bunch of resources that can help you. LinkedIn is also a great tool for getting to know about the motorsports industry
Original post by Rhixno
My dream job would be something in motorsport (particularly f1) and I have a background in sports, especially on the talent pathway(cricket). I am unsure of what course I want to do, currently looking at the photography degree but I don’t know. Any suggestions?

Hiya! :smile:

I also was in a phase 'I do not know what I want to do with my life’, which is completely understandable.

Luckily, you still have enough time and, certainly, internal resources to lead you to the choice of the right course.

It is time to ask yourself some key questions:
1. What subjects were the most interesting at school?
2. Do you have any hobbies?
3. What are you good at?
4. What are the things you would do without being pushed by life or motivated by money?
5. When you think of a perfect job, what qualities should it have?

Give yourself a long and deep reflection. The more honest and reflective you are, the better you get to know yourself.

Consequently, write everything down and look for connections.

Found them? Great! You have just created a basic profile of what you could potentially do in the future. Now, research degrees that would be the most relevant in pursuing your chosen career.

Not sure? Do not worry! I guess you have distinct things on your list that suggest more than one career pathway. Based on it, research or come up with job roles that correspond to some of your interrelated points. Focus on what the positions are about, the responsibilities included and the degree required. Once you have all the information, decide what matches your personality, interests, and skills the best.

If you are struggling, take your list to the academic advisor at your school. Let them have a look and provide you with valuable advice.

My example

I have been absorbing self-help books since I was 14. It became fascinating for me how we can improve our quality of life, how our thoughts influence our reality, and what makes us behave in one way but not otherwise (test yourself: do you already have a course suggestion for me?).

I am also a fabulous listener, sharing great life advice with family and friends (at least I think that). I like to talk to people in a meaningful way. I can easily read human emotions.

I did not really like any subjects at school apart from Chemistry. Learning this subject came to me with ease, which reflected in my grades. However, working in the chemical industry was not quite up to my idea of a perfect job.

My perfect job does not limit me. I am the one who decides when and how many hours I work (do not be afraid to dream big). I also want to be challenged with new tasks as I do not enjoy boredom.

Ultimately, everything pointed to Psychology. After reading what the Psychology course looks like, I had a feeling that it is something that could be just for me. And here I am!

What not to do

Do not go for a degree that will provide you with a sure and well-paid job only. Such a choice will make you miserable for the rest of your life. Remember that you will spend most of your time working. Thus, choose your degree and career pathway wisely.

Do not listen to everyone around you but the most important person - yourself. It is your life we are talking about. You are going to study for three or more years. You will work in a particular field for the rest of your life. Not your parents, grandparents, or aunties.

Whose grandmother is not dreaming about her dear grandchild becoming a doctor? Raise a hand! Listen to your voice first because you are starting building a life for YOURSELF.

Do not decide on the course until you familiarise yourself with it in depth, including its description, structure, and ways of assessment. With such an extensive selection of degrees, you may (and should) have specific expectations and choose the one that meets most or all of them. Make sure you are making a conscious and reasoned decision.

I hope it was helpful :wink: Fingers crossed for you! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. You can also chat with me and other students through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia :h:
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Original post by De Montfort University
Hiya! :smile:

I also was in a phase 'I do not know what I want to do with my life’, which is completely understandable.

Luckily, you still have enough time and, certainly, internal resources to lead you to the choice of the right course.

It is time to ask yourself some key questions:
1. What subjects were the most interesting at school?
2. Do you have any hobbies?
3. What are you good at?
4. What are the things you would do without being pushed by life or motivated by money?
5. When you think of a perfect job, what qualities should it have?

Give yourself a long and deep reflection. The more honest and reflective you are, the better you get to know yourself.

Consequently, write everything down and look for connections.

Found them? Great! You have just created a basic profile of what you could potentially do in the future. Now, research degrees that would be the most relevant in pursuing your chosen career.

Not sure? Do not worry! I guess you have distinct things on your list that suggest more than one career pathway. Based on it, research or come up with job roles that correspond to some of your interrelated points. Focus on what the positions are about, the responsibilities included and the degree required. Once you have all the information, decide what matches your personality, interests, and skills the best.

If you are struggling, take your list to the academic advisor at your school. Let them have a look and provide you with valuable advice.

My example

I have been absorbing self-help books since I was 14. It became fascinating for me how we can improve our quality of life, how our thoughts influence our reality, and what makes us behave in one way but not otherwise (test yourself: do you already have a course suggestion for me?).

I am also a fabulous listener, sharing great life advice with family and friends (at least I think that). I like to talk to people in a meaningful way. I can easily read human emotions.

I did not really like any subjects at school apart from Chemistry. Learning this subject came to me with ease, which reflected in my grades. However, working in the chemical industry was not quite up to my idea of a perfect job.

My perfect job does not limit me. I am the one who decides when and how many hours I work (do not be afraid to dream big). I also want to be challenged with new tasks as I do not enjoy boredom.

Ultimately, everything pointed to Psychology. After reading what the Psychology course looks like, I had a feeling that it is something that could be just for me. And here I am!

What not to do

Do not go for a degree that will provide you with a sure and well-paid job only. Such a choice will make you miserable for the rest of your life. Remember that you will spend most of your time working. Thus, choose your degree and career pathway wisely.

Do not listen to everyone around you but the most important person - yourself. It is your life we are talking about. You are going to study for three or more years. You will work in a particular field for the rest of your life. Not your parents, grandparents, or aunties.

Whose grandmother is not dreaming about her dear grandchild becoming a doctor? Raise a hand! Listen to your voice first because you are starting building a life for YOURSELF.

Do not decide on the course until you familiarise yourself with it in depth, including its description, structure, and ways of assessment. With such an extensive selection of degrees, you may (and should) have specific expectations and choose the one that meets most or all of them. Make sure you are making a conscious and reasoned decision.

I hope it was helpful :wink: Fingers crossed for you! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. You can also chat with me and other students through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Psychology student
De Montfort University

It sounds like you might have been better off picking a degree in Counselling instead of Psychology:smile:
Original post by PQ
It sounds like you might have been better off picking a degree in Counselling instead of Psychology:smile:

Haha, possible :biggrin: However, isn't Psychology just a broader topic? In my third year, I will have optional modules to narrow my pathway. And... your guess was perfect. One of my choices is Counselling Psychology.

Nevertheless, I am happy with this choice. What would it be like to counsel people without knowing and understanding their thoughts, actions and motives?

Take care,

Psychology student
De Montfort University
Original post by Rhixno
Thanks for taking the time to reply, however I havent studied A level maths, a requirement for all of those courses you have just linked.

Do any of them offer a Foundation year?
Original post by Rhixno

this is a tad random but sports journalism/ communications could be a good one to get you into f1 reporting if you would be at all interested in that aspect! it’s offered at quite a lot of places with low ucas point offers, so if you were interested there are definitely a lot of options out there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending