The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laertes
Australia are part of the AFC. I can't entirely remember why, but they are.

So they could play better teams, improve football in Australia, more changes to get into the world cup, the OFC only has one place and the AFC has 3 maybe 4, in the OFC it was only them and New Zealand everyone else is pretty poor, and its where you get crazy 30-0 in international games

they can also enter the AFC champions league

I am getting bored of my west ham save, I may do one of this national hero going from the bottom league to the top, Don't want to do England, may have to go with Spain
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by iRush
I didn't cheat on FM10 too and I won a good few titles when I played. It felt good! I'm going to try for another mid-table team (Fulham - Sunderland or even Chelsea for once) and see how that goes. Then we'll see how that goes for us! Let me know how your game pans out when you start!

I was bloody crap in FM 09 and 10 until I tried it with southampton, it was only 11 that I became good, got league cup with blackpool and got them 6th and quarters of europa league. Went chelsea and won the CL and FA cup, then got 2 clean sweeps in a row and went unbeaten. (of course I had regens who made the barcelona team look like a league 1 team but I stayed in budget the whole time and lowered the average age of my squad)
Original post by WhatTheFunk
So they could play better teams, improve football in Australia, more changes to get into the world cup, the OFC only has one place and the AFC has 3 maybe 4, in the OFC it was only them and New Zealand everyone else is pretty poor, and its where you get crazy 30-0 in international games

I am getting bored of my west ham save, I may do one of this national hero going from the bottom league to the top, Don't want to do England, may have to go with Spain

Spain is pretty good to do, I like spain since they have different rules too, try italy too.
Original post by iRush
I feel you, im at that point with Everton atm. If I loose the Europa League at any point then I'm resigning and will start a new save with either Borussia Dortmund/PSG/Fulham.

PSG-too easy. Can just buy that league, not using a big money team unless it's chelsea.

What it is is that you need to win 2 or 3 games on the spin with 1-0's, get a convincing victory after, then you're back in business, teams will start to roll over for you, well that happened in FM 11 at least.
Reply 3984
Original post by KingMessi
Thank you very much, I think that I'll have a perusal of this prior to starting my new game...:top:

No problem, at all.

Yeah, that all sounds right.
Reply 3985
Pretty much. The world record for high score in an international match is Australia 31-0 American Samoa in a world cup qualifier back in 2001, with one player also getting a world record in that game for most goals scored with 13. With the likes of San Marino 0-13 Germany raising questions in Europe about whether teams like San Marino should have pre-qualifying or something, you can kinda see where Australia are coming from there - the island nations simply don't have the level of talent to be competitive against Australia.
Also, the OFC's single team topping the qualifiers doesn't even have a guaranteed spot in the world cup. They always have to go through a qualifying playoff against the last qualifying team from another federation (usually a South American team like Uruguay). Because of that, the OFC very rarely had a representative in the world cup (Australia in 1974 and 2006, New Zealand in 1982 and 2010)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Spain is pretty good to do, I like spain since they have different rules too, try italy too.

Done a bit of the Italian league, never really played in spain apart from Real Madrid on 2011
I can't be asked will a real long game until after the transfer update

I have already done England, got all the levels down to 12 now that will be a game to start after the update

Original post by Dalimyr
you are good with stream :p:

Can I ask, my FM12 doesn't have the latest patch, if I go to start a new game its still on version on 12.0.0
How can I make steam download the update
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3987
Can I ask, my FM12 doesn't have the latest patch, if I go to start a new game its still on version on 12.0.0
How can I make steam download the update
Right-click FM12 in Steam, choose Properties, click the Updates tab and change the tab to 'Always keep this game up to date'. Whether or not you have to wait a while before it starts downloading the update, I dunno, but that'll get you sorted :smile:
Original post by Dalimyr
Right-click FM12 in Steam, choose Properties, click the Updates tab and change the tab to 'Always keep this game up to date'. Whether or not you have to wait a while before it starts downloading the update, I dunno, but that'll get you sorted :smile:

Thank you :smile: I'm still learning to use stream
Thank you :smile: I'm still learning to use stream

with mine still says default database because of STEAM but when i check in the actual game it is 12.1 just checking you knew in case you thought it hadnt worked
Original post by kopite493
with mine still says default database because of STEAM but when i check in the actual game it is 12.1 just checking you knew in case you thought it hadnt worked

mine may have done this
Actually, things are going better on my new save. I didn't start particularly well (1-1 draw away to QPR) but since then we've gone seven games without conceding, winning six and getting a 0-0 draw at the Etihad Stadium (and even in that game we missed a penalty). I completely overhauled my tactics and squad and it seems to be working thus far.

Of course, now I've said that, I probably won't win in five games. :colondollar:

Does anyone know how to post screenshots?
Original post by KingMessi
Actually, things are going better on my new save. I didn't start particularly well (1-1 draw away to QPR) but since then we've gone seven games without conceding, winning six and getting a 0-0 draw at the Etihad Stadium (and even in that game we missed a penalty). I completely overhauled my tactics and squad and it seems to be working thus far.

Of course, now I've said that, I probably won't win in five games. :colondollar:

Does anyone know how to post screenshots?

Alt+F9 on windows saves a screenshot to Documents>Sports Interactive> Football Manager 2012> Screenshots and then just post it like you would any other picture.

Now then, top of the league after 7 games, and unbeaten in all comps (only failed to win one - 1-1 draw @ Millwall).

the highlight of my season so far:

Reply 3993
So far so good with my new game... I've switched my laptop from "balanced" to "performance" (although with 8GB of RAM, a new 2GB video card and quad core i7 processor it really should have been able to handle the game on "balanced" anyway), and turned off the 3D engine.
So far no XML crashes or freezes :biggrin:

Iker Muniain is a really good buy I'd recommend to people too. He's only 18 but performs well in all matches for me (I play him as an inside forward in a 4-1-3-2). Cost me £17million but I always prefer to buy players as young as possible (within reason) rather than spending the same amount on a 27 year old because I'll get more years out of them and they'll hopefully rise in value so I can make a profit and use that to buy more youngsters.
Currently as Aston Villa. Such a frustrating save :indiff:

Saying that, I do like some of the extra bits added on to FM12, like the tone... Just wish they could change the press conferences slightly, they get so dull :nothing:
Hey everyone I'm new to FM, I find it fun but I'm always bad at it and under perform and get sacked.
Can you guys recommend me a club to use and players to buy, tactics etc. I'd like a club that could rise through the ranks and build a dynasty. Any tips? Thanks.
Just got sacked after a 5-1 defeat to Man City. I was in 9th position in the league but went 10 games without winning :frown:

Gonna start again tonight, (as Aston Villa). Any hints/tips? Mainly tactically.

How many games do people do in preseason? Specifically, the first season.
Reply 3997
Original post by camblacks
Hey everyone I'm new to FM, I find it fun but I'm always bad at it and under perform and get sacked.
Can you guys recommend me a club to use and players to buy, tactics etc. I'd like a club that could rise through the ranks and build a dynasty. Any tips? Thanks.

Try picking a team with a really good youth system - you'll get good players through or you'll get paid lots of money for them :P Southampton or Crewe off the top of my head. And you can get good players in on loan for your first few seasons :smile:

Just played in the MLS-All Stars - any idea why I'm in this? Won the FA Cup and Europa League last season, but won both of those before and not been put in it before :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jackf1337
Just got sacked after a 5-1 defeat to Man City. I was in 9th position in the league but went 10 games without winning :frown:

Gonna start again tonight, (as Aston Villa). Any hints/tips? Mainly tactically.

How many games do people do in preseason? Specifically, the first season.

I started with Aston Villa (after starting the game unemployed) and I've found a good formation with the players there was 4 at the back, 2 central midfielders, 3 attacking midfielders (AML, CAM and AMR) with the one striker up front. The team setup was slightly attacking but not overly and a rather defensive mindset against top 6 teams.. Stephen Ireland in that CAM role is pretty crucial to my team though, but N'Zogbia was a sufficient replacement when Ireland was injured.

My first season, I took over when they were 18th and finished 12th with a couple of signings in January to strengthen the central midfield part. My second season, finished 9th with about 7 signings :colondollar:
Reply 3999
I've had a nightmare of a start (of my fourth season with Roma) in terms of fitness: basically all my players are fatigued or injured. Not helped at all by the fixture list consisting of matches at intervals of three days, and basically all of them being pretty important games. Just two home games to go, though, and then there'll be a bit of a break.

On the much brighter side, I've got a 100% win record after 6 games (including a 0-1 against AC Milan at the San Siro). :woo: 5 points ahead of Udinese, who are second, but more importantly, a decent early cushion between me and the other title contenders. :cute:

I have a transfer of about 125 mil, and only made two signings in the summer: a young (19-year old) Italian who was playing for River, and who looks like one of the best of his generation, for 2.5 mil, and Caneira, a 32-year old defender (across the pitch) as backup, for 1 mil. The 5 mil big-prospect youngster also joined this season, giving me a total of two. :biggrin: Given the players I offloaded, my budget actually marginally increased (from 121 mil to 125 mil). So quite happy with that. My depth, which is decent, though, is being undermined by everyone being tired and injured. Also, a couple of fringe players and Jeremy Menez are being pains with their discontent: I've transfer-listed two of them as per their request.

Latest