Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College London International Politics Offer Holders/Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by maxcartwright
hello
im a home student hoping to start ipol in sept, i have a couple questions if thats ok:redface:

1) how much of the material is focused on international economy?
2) are there many opportunities for internships?
3) are there many talks/debates within the department?
4) how active are the student political parties eg. conservative, liberal?
5) are there any links with parliament/westminster?

sorry about the amount, but i live overseas and i cant attend any open days:colondollar:
any help would be appreciated

1) first year, very little, second year, there will be a module dedicated to that (political economy), the only bit of economics youll ever get in the first year are gentle but flashing references to people like marx, schumpeter, smith, ricardo etc

2) as of now the current lot of students (ie me and a couple others on here) are required to complete a work placement as part of the degree, so yes for us there are plenty of opportunities for internships/work experience

3) if there is such activity going on, i wouldnt know about it, because a. probably very little of it happens b. not many of us care about it happening anyway c. it happens outside the classroom

4) if you mean just within our course, its about as active as a limp sloth with a few notable exceptions, if you mean within kings and not just the course, then its quite active, especially during the fiasco about the fee increases a while back

5) unfortunately, the only link that exists is that we took one of our june exams in westminster hall
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 81
BBM group for 2011 International Politics offer holders/freshers:

does anyone know if they allow students to transfer from one degree to another? or if they allow adjustment to another course even though you have an offer for another course within the uni?

(sorry for being unclear )
I know this may sound stupid, but does this course involve Economics? I know I should have researched it a little more, but I was thinking of applying to this course and wasn't sure if my PS would restrict me from doing so as, it's an economics and politics PS; help? :redface:
Reply 84
Original post by VolcanicArmado
Hi all,

I'm currently reading International Politics at KCL, so would be happy to answer any questions you might have, also want to get as much disinformation off the site as possible.

Regards,

VA

Hello. : ) Looking at the structure of the course provided at KCL's website I somehow get the feeling that International Politics course is quite abstract and based on theory here.. What is more, there seem to be very little amount of options available every year. In addition, the course structure does not seem to raise any contemporary issues, for example the Middle East crisis, in which I am interested.. Could you elaborate on the structure of the degree and the lecturers?
Reply 85
I have applied the course too. Predicted A*A*AA(UK equivalent, I am from Hong Kong) achieved A in mathematics already. Submited with a History and Politics essay because I apply joint courses in other unis.

My concerns are somehow similar to Eastern's. Are the all optionals listed in the admission page? There are only around 5 for each year. And can I take some related history modules?
Reply 86
And where do you spend most of your time? at the main strand campus?
lol I spotted two spelling mistakes on their website, not going to lie its making me question my application there.
but seriously, I think competition is going to be fierce as the grade boundaries are quite reasonable and this might lead to an increase in applications? fingers crossed though! :biggrin:
I applied the 14th of October (Oxbridge deadline) and got an offer Wednesday last week! Got predicted 39 IB points with 7666 at HL and got an offer of 36 points, 655 HL so I'm extremely happy :smile:. King's was my fav when I was still in my Dutch school and was one of the reasons I pursued an IB diploma!

All others also congrats with your offers!
Reply 89
Original post by zoulikhahaha
I applied the 14th of October (Oxbridge deadline) and got an offer Wednesday last week! Got predicted 39 IB points with 7666 at HL and got an offer of 36 points, 655 HL so I'm extremely happy :smile:. King's was my fav when I was still in my Dutch school and was one of the reasons I pursued an IB diploma!

All others also congrats with your offers!

Well done! :smile: Is King's still your favourite? I think it's my favourite but I applied on the 24th October so I doubt I'll hear for a while!
Reply 90
Really concerned about whether I'm likely to get an offer or not! I've applied for the BA International Politics course with AAB which is the entry requirements but I'm not sure this is going to be good enough :/
anybody else received an offer/have an idea about how my chances fare?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 91
It could well be they're still going through offers, especially if you applied later in the cycle. Received an offer for IP from King's (AAB) near the start of December - sent my UCAS off at the beginning of October.
does anyone know what the chances are for someone who got ABB and is retaking for AAB? my friend wants on this program!!
Reply 93
Thanks, yeah that's what I'm thinking - and hoping!
Original post by Katie-27
Well done! :smile: Is King's still your favourite? I think it's my favourite but I applied on the 24th October so I doubt I'll hear for a while!

Thanks! It's definitely still my favorite. I applied to Oxford as well, but I'm okay with the fact I got rejected because I realized I need to be in a major or capital city haha.

I also applied to LSE for IR, still haven't heard anything though.
Original post by Caro
BBM group for 2011 International Politics offer holders/freshers:

Yeah so I added this over a month ago, but it kept saying it's waiting for authorization. Sooooo whatsup with that? :redface:
Being in London would be so awesome - I really hope I get an offer from King's, it's my favourite of the Uni's I've applied to.

So many opportunities to get involved in politics in London - just a shame we'll be starting straight after a London Mayoral Election :P
Reply 97
Original post by Maddog Jones
Being in London would be so awesome - I really hope I get an offer from King's, it's my favourite of the Uni's I've applied to.

So many opportunities to get involved in politics in London - just a shame we'll be starting straight after a London Mayoral Election :P

In what form can we take part in real politics? Working as an election assistant?
I have also applied the same course, so we might be schoolmates next year.
I am somewhat worried about the teaching, the department seems to be new and there are not many staff.
Original post by Jack3107
In what form can we take part in real politics? Working as an election assistant?
I have also applied the same course, so we might be schoolmates next year.
I am somewhat worried about the teaching, the department seems to be new and there are not many staff.

Well, I'm a member of the Labour Party, and they're consistently emailing me to help with this and that - but a lot of it is based in London.

And same, I've heard a fair few negative things about this course - plus its reputation. It's the course you do after a foundation degree - the first thing people have said is that 'half of them will be thickies that couldn't get onto a real course' - so just wondering if its being looked on as a 'sort of' degree by the Uni.
Reply 99
Original post by Maddog Jones
Well, I'm a member of the Labour Party, and they're consistently emailing me to help with this and that - but a lot of it is based in London.

And same, I've heard a fair few negative things about this course - plus its reputation. It's the course you do after a foundation degree - the first thing people have said is that 'half of them will be thickies that couldn't get onto a real course' - so just wondering if its being looked on as a 'sort of' degree by the Uni.

I really think that if you have any questions about the course, you should talk to the department, or the academics working on the degree, directly. They will be very happy to help you and will answer any questions you might have.

Just to clarify, this is a degree course and is not related to a foundation degree. Indeed, most students accepted onto the programme have qualifications that far exceed the AAB requirement. Competition for entry is also fierce, with more than 1000 applicants in each of the last two years.

Quick Reply

Latest