The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Official King's College London 2023 Applicants Thread

Hello everyone!

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to KCL for 2023 entry, for all courses.

This is a thread to discuss your courses, applications and concerns that you have about the university.

Good luck everyone! You'll need it.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

DO NOT APPLY TO THIS UNI

This is a warning to everyone who is planning on applying to KCL. They were too lazy to reject everyone themselves and just waited until ucas auto rejected us because they never made a decision on our application. I waited 6 months to not even get a clear response, I don't even know why I did not get an offer since they never sent a rejection email or given any sort of explanation, and admissions office keep giving contradicting messages telling people that offers can still come out past the deadline and giving people false hope and then telling everyone they were all rejected. There's a reason why they have one of the lowest student satisfactions in the UK. For your own sanity do not apply here you'll be going through months of stress for nothing. Don't waste one of your uni choises and apply somewhere where they actually respect and care about their students, because if this is how they treat their applicants I don't even want to know what happens to their actual students.

I highly recommend reading through https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7089976&page=474 before applying here.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by tsruser999

How do you justify Kings behaviour. They have had applications since before 26 Jan and still hadnt decided by 19 May. Ucas had to send out rejections because Kings havent. The facts speak for themselves. They are utterly shambolic and a disgrace. Potential students deserve better. If the authorities had any courage ucas would remove them and the government withdraw funding.
don’t apply to kings. you’ll be treated as if you’re the scum of the earth
I don't always think that the admin staff are a reflection of the medical staff, but given KCLs student satisfaction and overall ranking I would say its pretty representative.
Medicine is the most competitive course in the uk. You will face not only a huge surge in applicants, but also a limited number of places due to the large volume of deferrals. In addition to this, you only get 4 choices - so choose wisely.
Kings has treated its med applicants horrendously and shown no regard for any of the hard work that you put into your UCAT, personal statement and work experience. The majority found out they were rejected from an auto reject by ucas because kings wouldn't reject us with dignity, only to be followed by a message from kings the day AFTER the ucas deadline saying to ignore this, finally to be followed by an official rejection straight after - even though they were aware that many of the applications would not be interviewed long before and instead decided to ignore the mental strain that the waiting for an inevitable rejection. Meanwhile, this is all happening during the IB exam period, and also right before the A level exam session too.
Don't waste one of your precious choices on a university who wont even recognise you as a human. If KCL is what you are really set on then so be it, but if your heart isn't 100% into kings I'd instead apply to a university that will treat you with respect
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Please do go through the 2022 thread to see how this university treated its thousands of medical school applicants in 2022.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6963390

To summarise (to the best of my honesty - happy to modify when new evidence emerge):

- Zero communication after applications for many many

- Zero communication after interview for all interviewed

- Generic feedback after auto-rejection by UCAS upon request (except one according to the thread)

- No interview score - don't believe they have the scores

- Contradiction in their emails and online portal after UCAS deadline (19 May 2022) for them to respond has passed - many applicants have no idea whether they are still being considered - to date!

- Missing student file - please see @micholate9 for details https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=97171186&postcount=7585. God know how they handled applicants' files

- Many applicants with UCAT score above 3000 were rejected - not in previous years as far as we can tell - so every reason to believe they messed up with the interview process - unless they can provide evidence it is otherwise.

- Lies over the phone (please refer to the last few pages of the thread) to multiple applicants - e.g. claim they could change the UCAS status after the deadline; claim they were still sending out interview invitation

- Left it for UCAS to auto-reject students - how disrespectful - no other university did this

- This happened in the weeks leading to the A level exams - appalling

This a true reflection of the quality of student service offered by this seemingly prestigious university - largely because of its location.

Be aware, their medical school ranked below 30 out of ~35 medical schools in the UK in the past few years so don't be deluded.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2021/sep/11/best-uk-universities-for-medicine-league-table
Good luck to all 2023 applicants. While it is true that Kings were not very organised this year, it still is a prestigious and amazing uni! They made quite a massive mistake by leaving so many decisions till last minute. Some people, like me, got decisions very early on, while others got it extremely late (through an auto-rejection). It's still worth applying here, but it's just extremely competitive, hence the reason for mass rejections nearer to the end of the cycle! It doesn't mean that once you're at Kings, you'll be treated unfairly - i've heard their community is amazing. Good luck again!
Reply 8
Original post by mommymilkers
Hello everyone!

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to KCL for 2023 entry, for all courses.

This is a thread to discuss your courses, applications and concerns that you have about the university.

Good luck everyone! You'll need it.

Hi I am doing IB with predated score 7 in English SL. My IGCSE English was A. Do I still need ielts score as an international student? Thing is I sat for ielts and got overall score 8 but writing section messed up (6.5) however KCL entry requirements are 7 in each section. Shall I resist the exam or iB and igcse enough
Thanks
hey i was planning to apply to kings for a biomedical science degree since it has a lot of flexibility, but after reading the whole 2022 applications debacle im not so sure now. can someone with more info than me outline what a biomed course at kings is actually like and whether its worth it?
Hi! I sent off my UCAS application early this month as an early applicant (currently having applied for Oxford E&M and KCL E&M only) and I was wondering how long they usually take to get back to applicants. Does being an early applicant mean they'll apply earlier or does it not really make a difference? The other day I received an e-mail from them asking for my share code and replied saying that they will continue with their assessment, so I hope that I'll be getting a verdict soon. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone applying this year!
Original post by geribocheva
Hi! I sent off my UCAS application early this month as an early applicant (currently having applied for Oxford E&M and KCL E&M only) and I was wondering how long they usually take to get back to applicants. Does being an early applicant mean they'll apply earlier or does it not really make a difference? The other day I received an e-mail from them asking for my share code and replied saying that they will continue with their assessment, so I hope that I'll be getting a verdict soon. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone applying this year!

There is no way of knowing when a university will reply. Oxford it is usually January. Kings can be anytime until May. Last year Kings hadnt made decisions on thousands of applicants by the deadline and so ucas sent out rejections instead,
Original post by swanseajack1
There is no way of knowing when a university will reply. Oxford it is usually January. Kings can be anytime until May. Last year Kings hadnt made decisions on thousands of applicants by the deadline and so ucas sent out rejections instead,

I've heard about Kings taking a long time to reply and many people being rejected by UCAS instead because the deadline passed but did this only happen to medicine applicants or people who applied for other courses as well?
Original post by Caprisun99
I've heard about Kings taking a long time to reply and many people being rejected by UCAS instead because the deadline passed but did this only happen to medicine applicants or people who applied for other courses as well?

Other courses as well.
What courses are you all applying for at King's? Is anyone's application currently being processed? I'm applying for econ & management.
Original post by 57gooseberries
What courses are you all applying for at King's? Is anyone's application currently being processed? I'm applying for econ & management.

Looking to apply for biomedical science! I haven't sent mine in yet though. Good luck for your application! :biggrin:

I applied for Politics BA! Mine is saying submitted.

I'm applying for E&M too! My application is saying the same thing :smile: I really hope they get back to us soon!

I’m applying for law but at this point might change it for Kent because i think i need a safe option and reading all this i dont know if i can cope with waiting until may!
Cool! True I'm not expecting a response until Feb/March. Just a really long waiting game, GL everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest