The Student Room Group

Are these good A-levels.

Maths
Physics
Psychology

Need I pick another one? Or is 3 fine? If so, what? Because I've know idea what to pick as a 4th or even if I should pick a 4th. I'm quite confused.

Also, why do people usually take 4 in their first year and then just leave one as an AS in the second year?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Most people who took 4 have dropped one already, or are going to drop it at AS. It would be good to choose another one just in case you hate one of the one's you've already chose.
Reply 2
Bump.
Reply 3
i was told to take four, but i still don't know what i want to do so i put down 5 :L but even if you do one at AS it still gives you some ucas points i think. Correct me if i am wrong.
Reply 4
Pick a fourth AS, it's the done thing. If you dislike one particularly, then drop it for A2. Again, that's the done thing for most people.

In terms of subject choices, it all depends on what course you're going for and what kind of unis you're aiming for. If you don't make these clear, then no-one can help you. If you just want a subject you enjoy, only you can decide that.
It's becoming usual to take four at AS and then either continue all four or drop one at A2.

Which fourth is up to you depending on what degree you want to do. Maybe Further Maths would go well with Maths and Physics?
Reply 6
I'd advise you to do four. You're limiting your university chances if you don't have at least 4 AS.
Reply 7
Depends what you want to do or do you want to keep your options open.
Taking only 3 AS levels will make it much more difficult when applying for university, it would definitely be best to choose a fourth.

Quick Reply

Latest