The Student Room Group

Food and Drink you can still get, but used to be SO much better.

Scroll to see replies

I don't know if anyone ever had the beautiful Hickory Steak Penne ready meals you could buy at M&S but they changed the recipe and its now barely edible.
Reply 21
M&S Mexican Chicken Wraps. Two of my friends and I used to go into town once a week after school and we'd have these for dinner. We used to talk about having Mexican Chicken Wrap-eating competitions. Then they changed it to an "improved recipe" and it was rubbish. And now it's a Chicken Fajita wrap instead, but it's a) fairly bland and b) tiny. :cry:
Original post by BooBerryMuffin
Sunny D. It used to taste so creamy and rich, nowadays it tastes watery and plasticky. Absolute fail. :frown:

Am I the only one that feels sick at the thought of creamy orange juice?

:puke:
Reply 23
Original post by clo-clo1
Animal biscuits, you know the ones with chocolate on. I swear they weren't that sickly when I was younger, I could even make it though a bag in one go when I bought them.

I totally agree with you clo-clo. Of course, I think a lot of the Cadbury products have really went downhill since the whole Kraft takeover thing - no, it ISN'T coincidence!

But the Animal biscuits - they're paler, less flavourful, and the the chocolate isn't the thick, wavy brilliance that it once was!
Original post by Jelkin
And now it's a Chicken Fajita wrap instead, but it's a) fairly bland and b) tiny. :cry:

I know I'm probably going to sound weird, but the way you put that made me think of one of the characters in 'Charlie Chalk'! :biggrin:
Reply 25

It's just not that same anymore.
Milky Ways and Twix's.
Reply 27
Hula Hoops are no longer the same and also Frazzles. Frazzles were the bomb.
I definitely agree with the Monster Munch and Fanta. On the crisps theme, Skips also used to be a lot better.

Every time I see the words "New ingredients, same great taste!" I die a little inside.
Original post by -Invidious-
Fanta, I swear they changed the recipe in the UK. Abroad it's still seriously orange and tastes amazing while here its a more yellow colour and tastes like ass.

so agree with you mate, that used to be my drink :frown:

now ive switched to 7up/sprite :smug:
MacDonalds chicken nuggets. They were awesome when they were salty and full of fat. Now they taste of cardboard.
Reply 31
Time Outs... they used to be absolutely covered in chocolate AND you got two bars.

Now you just get one really small bar which is practically all wafer.
Reply 32
Original post by Dorito
Time Outs... they used to be absolutely covered in chocolate AND you got two bars.

Now you just get one really small bar which is practically all wafer.

You can still get the 2 bar ones where I'm from...
Reply 33
Twix, WTF have they done to them?! They used to be scrummy, now they just taste of nothing. Absolute nothing. Every time you take a bite you think "Why am I eating this?"

Mars, they used to be nice, but they just don't feel the same anymore, maybe I've grown out of them but definitely no more love for them anymore :dontknow:

I don't think Snickers are there yet, but they're certainly on their way there, I can still enjoy them slightly but not how I used to.

Also, I'm absolutely craving Turkey Twizzlers, how dare Jamie Oliver take them away from me :frown:
Reply 34
Time Outs are definitely changing for the worse. The chocolate coating is thinner, and the flavour is certainly different, but I think like you mentioned, the worst thing is that they're slowly but surely starting to market it alongside the "lighter choices", which pigeonholes it with the diet chocolate bars, which is why the single-finger multipacks are becoming the more frequent means to Time yourself Out.

I also agree with the McChicken Nuggets thing. The changeover to white meat only effectively made them far blander, and the super-healthier option oil used to make the batter makes them taste cardboardy. Same thing with this:
The McChicken Sandwich, whilst also getting the "all white meat" treatment, got nerfed to hell; the breading used to be a far crispier, breadier (and kinda wrinkled with lots of grease-powered "wrinkles" creating ultra-crunchy bits) coating, shaped in a far larger, oval patty (with matching larger oval bun), a la this(a picture of it circa 1995):
Original post by -Invidious-
Fanta, I swear they changed the recipe in the UK. Abroad it's still seriously orange and tastes amazing while here its a more yellow colour and tastes like ass.

American Fanta is the best. That stuff tastes ORANGE. Not too orange, not too little. It's also nuclear orange.

To think I stuck with diet coke for the first week on holiday :rolleyes:.

Our fanta tastes like crap. Literally like someone took some water, threw in a cup of sugar and then put a DROP or two of orange cordial in it. Blech. Too sweet by far - where is that citrus zest???
Most fizzy drinks (bar coke) and most chocolate bars. They've either changed the sugar, colour or made them smaller.

I don't want a healthy chocolate bar so I can eat many I want a nice big rich one that I can enjoy sparingly. Jeez...
Reply 37
Totally agree with both things you put, OP.
Also, sunny D - they took all the crap out of it that actually made it worth drinking...
WEETOS.
Basically any non healthy food or drink that jumped on the stupid health craze bandwagon. Anyone who knows me knows that I cannot stand the fact everything now seems to be 'no added sugar' or 'new and healthier'. Things like orange squash and ribeana, I don't understand how people can claim not to be able to tell the difference.

They also have done something to flakes, I don't know what and I don't know why but they used to be so much better. Also nesquik powder, I am sure they have healthified it now you need to use so much more, i understand that the market mainly at little kids but they should start making old style of all these things for the people who want the good stuff back.

I hate Mcdonalds and burger king going healthy, the ones overseas are so much better. If i wanted a healthy chicken sandwich i would have one, I go to mcdonalds for the splurge on a nice crispy burger that leaves you feel as though you have actually had something to eat other than cardboard and ketchup.

Quick Reply

Latest